Strange video pattern

R

Richard in AZ

A friend is again having an intermittent video problem.
At times, when he first boots his computer (Dell with Windows Media Edition -aka Windows XP) he gets
a quilt-work pattern of colored squares. Upon reboot he gets a normal display again. About 6
months ago, we replaced his video card because of the same problem. At that time it would display
the pattern about every other cold boot. Now he writes that it has occurred about 3 times in the
past month. I hate to tell him to install another video card, but I don't know what else to
suggest.

I have tried groups.google searches and either don't know how to describe the problem or no one else
if having this problem.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

A

Andrew E.

That pattern is 99.9% video hardware or directly related to it by another
component.2 diffrent cards but the same problem,try looking at the
installation
of card to card slot,make sure its seated properly.If the board has on-board
video,the on-board should still be on,the pc can still use it even with an
add-in
card.

E

Elmo

Richard said:
A friend is again having an intermittent video problem.
At times, when he first boots his computer (Dell with Windows Media Edition -aka Windows XP) he gets
a quilt-work pattern of colored squares. Upon reboot he gets a normal display again. About 6
months ago, we replaced his video card because of the same problem. At that time it would display
the pattern about every other cold boot. Now he writes that it has occurred about 3 times in the
past month. I hate to tell him to install another video card, but I don't know what else to
suggest.

I have tried groups.google searches and either don't know how to describe the problem or no one else
if having this problem.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Have him try a larger power supply.

Ask a Question