Excel Stop Excel from displaying rounded values

Reaction score
I've looked through the forums to find this before asking, but everyone seems to have the opposite problem from mine. Excel is displaying a rounded value, even though it's using the correct values in calculations.

For example, if I enter a quotient formula that should result in 2.65 being displayed, what I get is 2.00. Increasing the number of decimal places makes no difference. It still displays only the integer portion of the calculation. Changing the cell format to Text makes no difference, nor does changing it to General or Accounting or anything else. Because these are dollar values, we must be able to see the actual value, not a rounded-down value. I've looked everywhere in Excel and many places online and can't figure out why this is happening.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

That's weird. What's your formula? Does it contain any rounding formula - eg ROUND(), ROUNDDOWN() etc.

Reaction score
It's just a simple quotient. =QUOTIENT(A5,B5). The value in A5 is 113.40 and the value in B5 is 42.75. The quotient should be 2.65263, etc., depending on the number of decimal places I have set. It should not be 2.00, which is what I'm getting no matter where I set the decimal places.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Tip: If you're looking to divide numeric values and keep a remainder, you'll want to use the "/" operator as there isn't a DIVIDE function in Excel. For example, to divide 5 by 2, you would type "=5/2" (without the quotes) into a cell, which returns 2.5. The QUOTIENT function for these same numbers (QUOTIENT 5,2) returns 2.. For other ways to divide numbers, see Divide cells or numbers.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/QUOTIENT-function-9f7bf099-2a18-4282-8fa4-65290cc99dee

Reaction score
Thank you, I would never have guessed that. So the QUOTIENT function is actually giving the numerator mod denominator (sloppy usage, granted). Problem solved.

Ask a Question