Excel 2007 won't stop rounding down my formula results!

Excel Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Raufikat, May 19, 2017.

  1. Raufikat

    Raufikat

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hello everyone,

    I'm trying to use formulas to calculate some profit-sharing and excel won't stop rounding down the answers. I have 3 shareholders to share 12.5% of the total (for the purpose of this post, I'm using 100) and 16 others to share the remaining 87.5%.

    Now, on paper (and using my trusty phone calculator), the first set of 3 shareholders should each get 4.166666% of the total while the second set should each get 5.46875%.

    When I enter these as formulas, I get 4 and 5 respectively. Even if I change the cell format to number with 5 decimal places, all I get is 4.00000 and 5.00000. I've changed the format to general, text, currency, accounting, increased and decreased the number of decimal places, no joy.

    Any suggestions will be highly appreciated, I'm at my wits' end!

    Thank you!
     
    Raufikat, May 19, 2017
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Raufikat

    Becky Webmistress Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2003
    Likes Received:
    974
    Location:
    Manchester
    Welcome to the forum :)

    What formula are you using to calculate the profit share?
     
    Becky, May 19, 2017
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Raufikat

    Raufikat

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hello Becky!

    It's nothing complicated, I use the QUOTIENT formula and divide 12.5 by the number of shareholders, in this case, 3.

    Thanks!
     
    Raufikat, May 19, 2017
    #3
  4. Raufikat

    Becky Webmistress Administrator

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2003
    Likes Received:
    974
    Location:
    Manchester
    Ah, well there's your issue. The quotient formula gives the integer of a division, which is why it appears to be rounded. Just do a calc instead - eg =A1/B1
     
    Becky, May 19, 2017
    #4
  5. Raufikat

    Raufikat

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Likes Received:
    1
    Ahhhhhh, okay! Thank you! I'll get back to you after I've tried it.
     
    Raufikat, May 20, 2017
    #5
  6. Raufikat

    Raufikat

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Likes Received:
    1
    Thank you Becky! It's a good now. Have a lovely weekend!
     
    Raufikat, May 20, 2017
    #6
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. ProfPJ

    Excel Excel Won't open Files

    ProfPJ, Aug 20, 2007, in forum: Microsoft Office
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    893
  2. Bink

    Outlook Outlook 2007 won't display images

    Bink, Jan 10, 2008, in forum: Microsoft Office
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,207
  3. aj7877

    Excel word 2007 won't mail merge with excel 2007

    aj7877, Jun 4, 2008, in forum: Microsoft Office
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,631
    aj7877
    Jun 4, 2008
  4. kathy409

    Excel Excel 2003 won't reinstall

    kathy409, Apr 14, 2009, in forum: Microsoft Office
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    739
  5. arunsvn
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,147
    arunsvn
    May 20, 2009
  6. philplunkett

    Outlook Outlook 2007 won't open

    philplunkett, Sep 21, 2009, in forum: Microsoft Office
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    965
    philplunkett
    Sep 21, 2009
  7. tbhjulie

    Excel Excel 2007 backspace key won't clear contents

    tbhjulie, Aug 25, 2010, in forum: Microsoft Office
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,161
    tbhjulie
    Aug 25, 2010
  8. bandaj

    Access My Dell PC can't access floppy drive

    bandaj, Jan 4, 2016, in forum: Microsoft Office
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    655
    muckshifter
    Jan 6, 2016
Loading...