Excel Excel 2007 won't stop rounding down my formula results!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to use formulas to calculate some profit-sharing and excel won't stop rounding down the answers. I have 3 shareholders to share 12.5% of the total (for the purpose of this post, I'm using 100) and 16 others to share the remaining 87.5%.

Now, on paper (and using my trusty phone calculator), the first set of 3 shareholders should each get 4.166666% of the total while the second set should each get 5.46875%.

When I enter these as formulas, I get 4 and 5 respectively. Even if I change the cell format to number with 5 decimal places, all I get is 4.00000 and 5.00000. I've changed the format to general, text, currency, accounting, increased and decreased the number of decimal places, no joy.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated, I'm at my wits' end!

Thank you!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

What formula are you using to calculate the profit share?

Reaction score
Hello Becky!

It's nothing complicated, I use the QUOTIENT formula and divide 12.5 by the number of shareholders, in this case, 3.

Thanks!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ah, well there's your issue. The quotient formula gives the integer of a division, which is why it appears to be rounded. Just do a calc instead - eg =A1/B1

Ask a Question