Stop Error 0x7F 0xD

Don McLean

Hi All,

About 75% of the time that I shut my system down I encounter a STOP ERROR
0x0000007F ( 0x0000000D ...... all the rest of the registers are Zero's)

Whilst running the system is stable and robust.

I have tried, based on advice from many sources, the following:-
1) New Video card
2) extensive testing on my One 256Mb SIMM
3) Disabled everything I can in the Hardware that I do not use I.e.
Ethernet card , Modem onboard Audio etc.
4) All drivers are up to date
5) The Event viewer gives no clue to what has failed.
6) The Microsoft web site insists I have a device driver error but I cant
determine what it is.
7) Moved away from Norton Internet security 2004. Installed AVG6 free
version, ditched that and now gone for Free Computer Associates AV as
recommended by Microsoft security in XP Home SP2
8) Disabled all Caching in the BIOS, BIOS is up to date with the latest
available dated in 2002.

No hardware has been introduced except the new Video card

I did , at the beginning, suspect that Norton Internet security was to
blame, that's why I removed it and switched AV packages.Can anyone assist
in trying to determine the device driver that is playing up ??

Regards

Don McLean

Terrence Tan [MSFT]

Driver Verifier is a utility that can help to troubleshoot drivers.

Steps to Enable Driver Verifier:
=========================
1. Click Run from the Start menu and type the following in the Open box and
click OK:
verifier /flags 9 /all

2. Restart the the computer.

For more information about Driver Verifier, see the following Microsoft
Knowledgebase article:
244617 How to Use Driver Verifier to Troubleshoot Device Drivers in
Windows...
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=244617>

If the machine bugchecks, it will tell you what driver is the culprit. The
machine may not bugcheck.

Steps to Disable Driver Verifier:
=========================
1. Click Run from the Start menu and type the following in the Open box and
click OK:
verifier /reset

2. Restart the the computer.

If Windows Crashes Before Logging On After Enabling Driver Verifier:
If Windows will not start after enabling Driver Verifier, you can press F8
to see the Advanced Boot menu and select "Last Known Good Configuration.
You can also try pressing F8 and choosing "Safe Mode." If you are able to
start the computer in safe mode, then continue with the steps in the "Steps
to Disable Driver Verifier" section.

Last possible option is opening a MS support case and have MS debug the
memory dump (memory.dmp file) if the machine was configured to generate one
at a stop error. Check in %systemroot%\windows to see if it's there (make
sure system files, extensions, etc. are not hidden).
307973 How To Configure System Failure and Recovery Options in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307973

***
Terrence Tan [MSFT]
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

"What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well
or the bell or the stone walls or the crisp October nights...No, our love
for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be
The University of the People." (Charles Kuralt)

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This
posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The views and
opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do not
necessarily express or reflect the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.
<From: "Don McLean" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Stop Error 0x7F 0xD
<Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 18:12:18 +0100
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support