STOP 0x0000007B error

Reaction score
I recently swapped a QDI Platinix m/b for a newer QDI P4I865GMA board. Simple reason being a power surge had damaged the original QDI.
While I was waiting for the new board and compatible memory to arrive I switched both hard drives to another similar age PC to use in the interim. Had no probs doing this.
After installing the new board to my original PC I switched both drives back and got the 'NTLDR is missing' error. Fiddling with the boot sequence fixed this (my boot drive is the slave).
However, now that the PC sees the proper boot drive I get a blue screen error : STOP 0x0000007B
Having looked up this error it seems to me that XP does not see the boot drive properly due to it now having to go through the new chipset on the m/b. I tried switching both drives back to the 'donor' PC and installing the latest Intel drivers for the 865G chipset but that didn't fix it.
Does anyone know of a way to fix this other than a complete format and re-install of XP? Presumably that would do the trick but it'd be a last resort.
Any help would be greatly appreciated....also can anyone point me to the QDI forum - the link from their website doesn't seem to work.
Thanks,
Neil.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry but XP is renowned for not 'playing ball' with having MBs switched on it ... it is really huffy about that.

I will always suggest people back-up their data and do a clean install when switching MBs.

user.gif

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Subverbal.
You can do a quick and dirty "repair install" assuming you have an XP disc. Boot up the machine with the cd, ignore the 1st offer of repairing an XP installation with the console and let the setup continue to where XP finds the current operating system and ofers to repair that.

Read here for a full explanation. I don't usually bother with all the extra stuff the author offers but that's up to you.

Covenant

Ask a Question