Stomp's Backup MyPC for XP: questions

outtaping

Hi,

After my 'newbie' install of XP (upgraded from W98 about 1 week ago),
I tried Stomp's, Backup MyPC (30 day evaluation copy v5.0) for
Win-XP, and it restored my XP C: drive flawlessly, using
floppies and my CD-recovery restore backup.

I'm trying to join Stomp's forum, but have received no user/password
yet. I have a couple of questions about this software.

I read Stomp will update v4.8x to v5.0 for free. If I purchase
version 4.85 (cheaper to purchase elsewhere), Will Stomp also offer
free updates for 'future' updates to version 5.0, or must I purchase
v5.0, for future v5.0 updates?

When testing (CD) disaster-recovery, I noticed it asked if I would
like to restore my 'original' hardware-profile, or the (recommended)
'let WinXP handle hardware-setup'. 1st test, I chose the 'recommended'
method, and let XP handle hardware-setup, even though no hardware was
changed.

Should I have used my original (backed-up) hardware-setup, or is
it best to run the 'recommended' hardware restore selection? I had to
call MS and re-register WinXP. Is this normal for Stomp's
disaster-recovery? Or was this caused by letting WinXP handle the
'recommended' hardware-setup recovery during the restore?

Last question; Backup MyPC creates 4 floppy-disks for CD disaster
recovery. Are those floppy disks usable for another CD disaster
backup, or must a new set of floppy-disks be created for each backup?

Thanks for any help.

mrtee

Ask www.stompinc.com. After all it is their software, MS didn't write it.

I would reccomend that you take a look at imaging software www.acronis.com True Image will write to CDs or DVDs and restore everything as it was.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff
"(e-mail address removed)" <Ping Lhough> wrote in message | Hi,

| After my 'newbie' install of XP (upgraded from W98 about 1 week ago),
| I tried Stomp's, Backup MyPC (30 day evaluation copy v5.0) for
| Win-XP, and it restored my XP C: drive flawlessly, using
| floppies and my CD-recovery restore backup.
|
| I'm trying to join Stomp's forum, but have received no user/password
| yet. I have a couple of questions about this software.
|
| I read Stomp will update v4.8x to v5.0 for free. If I purchase
| version 4.85 (cheaper to purchase elsewhere), Will Stomp also offer
| free updates for 'future' updates to version 5.0, or must I purchase
| v5.0, for future v5.0 updates?
|
| When testing (CD) disaster-recovery, I noticed it asked if I would
| like to restore my 'original' hardware-profile, or the (recommended)
| 'let WinXP handle hardware-setup'. 1st test, I chose the 'recommended'
| method, and let XP handle hardware-setup, even though no hardware was
| changed.
|
| Should I have used my original (backed-up) hardware-setup, or is
| it best to run the 'recommended' hardware restore selection? I had to
| call MS and re-register WinXP. Is this normal for Stomp's
| disaster-recovery? Or was this caused by letting WinXP handle the
| 'recommended' hardware-setup recovery during the restore?
|
| Last question; Backup MyPC creates 4 floppy-disks for CD disaster
| recovery. Are those floppy disks usable for another CD disaster
| backup, or must a new set of floppy-disks be created for each backup?
|
| Thanks for any help.

outtaping

Ask www.stompinc.com. After all it is their software, MS didn't write =
it.

I'm asking here, because I can't gain access to Stomp's forum,
probably because it's 'evaluation' software.
I would reccomend that you take a look at imaging software =
www.acronis.com True Image will write to CDs or DVDs and restore =
everything as it was.

You might want to check out Dantz's Retrospect Pro.

mrtee

I did. I use True Image.

It is most unlikely that people on this NG would be able to answer the technical questions and update question that you asked about Backup MyPC, unless they worked for Stomp.