Can anyone tell me what other Backup products have any of the problems that I have encountered with

• Thread starter Richard A. Landkamer
  • Start date
R

Richard A. Landkamer

I recently upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition.
Under Windows 98SE I used Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC with no problems. I could
always create Disaster Recovery disks and CDs under Windows 98SE with Backup MyPC.
However, when I attempted to create this same type of automated Disaster Recovery with
Backup MyPC under Windows XP Professional Edition, I discovered that it cannot be
done. I believe that readers of this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion list will find
the following forwarded e-mail that I sent to Mr. Pete Macomber, Support Manager at
Stomp Inc., to be self-explanatory in this regard.

I am currently researching other backup products that might be either a suitable alternative
-- or a supplement -- to Backup MyPC. One product that has been recommended to
me by multiple sources is Norton Ghost. It appears that this product could function as a
supplement to Backup MyPC, and could do the type of automated Disaster Recovery that
Backup MyPC cannot do under at least some versions of Windows XP.

Another product is Symantec GoBack. However, from the description of this product
at <http://www.symantec.com/goback/>, I see nothing to indicate that Symantec GoBack
could be used to recover one's computer system in the event of a hard disk crash, so I
question whether this product would be applicable to what I need.

From a search of all postings to this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion list that
contain the words "backup" and "back up"in the subject heading, I found references that
led me to PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and NewTech Infosystems' Backup Now! 3.0
Deluxe Suite. I looked up these products on the Internet, and have sent inquiries to their
vendors as to whether these two products have any of the type of problems that I have
encountered with Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC product, and which prevent users from
being able to use automated Disaster Recovery in at least some versions of Windows XP.
Does anyone know the answer to this question? If so, I would like to know. Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

----- Original Message -----
To: Pete Macomber, Stomp Inc
Cc: Angel Eden - Gigabyte
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 1:57 AM
Subject: Upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition has disabled automated Disaster Recovery in Veritas-Stomp Backup MyPC.

To Pete Macomber:

Last Friday, October 24, 2003, Angel Eden of Gigabyte Computer Services in Houston,
Texas, attempted to install an Upgrade version of Windows XP Professional Edition with
Service Pack 1 pre-installed over the original version of Windows XP Professional Edition
that he had previously installed. FYI, I obtained the original version of Windows XP from
my employer at a steep discount, but with a lot of licensing restrictions.

At the end of your previous E-Mail to me of October 20, 2003, you wrote the following:
"New versions of Windows XP Pro/Home are sold with SP1a pre-installed and these
discs will install a system which is compatible with Backup MyPC's Disaster Recovery.
Please contact me if you need further clarification or assistance."

Your above quoted information proved to be totally false. If it was true, then what
we did would have worked but it did not. When it did not work, Angel Eden called you
from my home telephone, which is next to my computer that he was working on. You told
him to try using the Windows XP Repair function. That was done, and still we kept getting
the Stomp Backup MyPC error window stating that "The version of Windows XP Service
Pack 1 installed on your computer does not support automated Disaster Recovery." These
issues are described in some detail on your Stomp Inc. website at
<http://supportforum.stompinc.com/printthread.php?t=862> and
<http://supportforum.stompinc.com/printthread.php?t=1879>.

As a last resort, we decided to try slipstreaming Service Pack 1 to the Windows XP
Upgrade with Service Pack 1 pre-installed on the remote possibility that Service Pack
1 had not been correctly installed by Microsoft, and that your much touted slipstream
process might actually work. FYI, we did the slipstream process that is described at
<http://www.windows-help.net/windowsxp/winxp-sp1-bootcd.html>, but did not make
any attempt to incorporate the Windows XP Rollup 1 Hotfix into this slipstream, since it
was irrelevant to what we were attempting to do. The end result after doing all this was
that we still got the above Stomp Backup MyPC error window stating that "The version
of Windows XP Service Pack 1 installed on your computer does not support automated
Disaster Recovery."

Mr. Macomber, what I stated above is cold hard fact. Now I will give you my opinion as
to why your Backup My PC automated Disaster Recovery will not work in my situation.
First, I will state that whenever I come across technical "solutions" like your slipstreaming
process that do not work, I start looking for hidden economic profit motives and agendas
for why automated disaster recovery will not work with your Backup MyPC under Windows
XP. But before I state what I believe, I have one other point to make: In everything that I
have read about this automated Disaster Recovery problem with Windows XP, I have yet
to read a single technical explanation as to why automated disaster recovery will not work
with your Backup MyPC on Windows XP. All we read is how to use workaround
"solutions" that did not work in my case. To me, this smacks of a cover up and a "smoke-
screen" to conceal some hidden profit agenda.

It is my belief that the primary reason why automated Disaster Recovery cannot be
made to work in situations like mine is because of the untold profits that Microsoft
can make by disabling the ability to do automatic Disaster Recovery with products
like your Backup MyPC in all Upgrade versions of Windows XP. In order to under-
stand this, you have to look at how Microsoft currently markets and licenses Windows XP.

When Windows XP was originally released by Microsoft, I understand that most Microsoft
installation CDs for Windows XP had the ability to do either (1) a new clean install of Win-
dows XP, or (2) an Upgrade to Windows XP from another/previous version of Windows.
The original Windows XP installation CD that I purchased from my employer has this ability.
The above mentioned Angel Eden of Gigabyte Computer Services also builds custom built
computers like mine, which I purchased from Gigabyte in August, 2001. I was informed
that until recently, Gigabyte would get OEM versions of Windows XP from Microsoft that
had this same ability to do either (1) a new clean install of Windows XP, or (2) an upgrade
to Windows XP from another/previous version of Windows. But recently, Microsoft has
started to market most of its Windows XP installation CDs as either (1) a new clean install
version, or (2) an Upgrade version, but not both. I got the impression that you can still buy
installation CDs with both of the above versions of Windows XP, but at a much higher cost.

In the 2nd paragraph of your e-mail to me of October 20, 2003, you wrote.
"One thing to consider when deciding on a path to resolve the SP1 issues: the workaround for
restoring is not much different than the DR restore. It involves more user interaction and can
possibly take you an extra hour to restore everything. This method is described here:
http://supportforum.stompinc.com/images/admin_images/xp_sp1.htm ".

In Step 2 of that procedure, we read "Reinstall Windows XP," and in Step 3 we read:
"Reinstall Windows XP Service Pack 1.:" You left out Step 2a, which applies to
everyone who Upgraded to Windows XP from a another/previous version, and
does not have either (a) an old Windows XP installation CD that has the ability to
do both (1) a new clean install of Windows XP, and (2) an upgrade to Windows XP
from another/previous version of Windows, or (b) a full installation CD of another/
previous version of Windows from which an Upgrade to Windows XP can be
performed: This missing step is to go out and purchase a new CD that contains a
new clean installation of Windows XP Professional or Home edition.

In other words, if the only installation CD that you have for Windows XP (Profes-
sional or Home edition) is the Upgrade CD, and you have no other CD from which
an Upgrade to Windows XP can be done -- and your hard disk crashes -- you must
purchase a new installation CD of Windows XP, and do a new clean install of
Windows XP (Professional or Home edition.)

I contend that Microsoft has a vested financial interest to force their users of
Windows XP into the above predicament. I believe that it is no accident that
Microsoft has sabotaged the ability to do automatic Disaster Recovery for
Windows XP users like me. If this was an accident, Microsoft would have fixed
this problem by now. They have certainly had ample time to fix this problem if they
wanted to. This tells me a lot about the business "ethics" of Microsoft.

This also tells me a lot about the business "ethics" of Veritas and Stomp. In the first
paragraph of your previous e-mail to me of October 20, 2003, you stated:

"You may want to try Norton Ghost if you choose to replace BUMP as it is one of the most
commonly used backup applications and has a good reputation. I do know the restore problems
with SP1 affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well, so look into
this before deciding on a new backup application."

Angel Eden explained to me how Norton Ghost works: Before bringing up Windows XP,
Norton Ghost can copy all of your C: Drive to any clone disk of the same size, which can
then be used as a Disaster Recovery boot up disk. This copy process to a clone disk is
apparently done under DOS before the boot up process invokes Windows XP, which raises
the obvious question: Why doesn't Veritas do something similar with full backups taken by
its Backup MyPC product? It appears to me that "the fix is in," and Veritas does not want
its Backup MyPC product to be able to perform automatic Disaster Recovery under all
versions of Windows XP, or more specifically, under versions of Windows XP that were
installed using Upgrade versions of Windows XP. In this latter regard, I note the following
statement in your above "workaround" alternate procedure for "Restoring All of Your Files
with Backup MyPC" at <http://supportforum.stompinc.com/images/admin_images/xp_sp1.htm>:

"Note: If you purchased Backup MyPC as a downloadable file over the Internet and no
longer have access to the application file, you may need to contact your reseller to obtain
another copy."

In other words, it looks like Veritas also has a vested financial interest to not always make
Backup MyPC be able to perform automated Disaster Recovery under Windows XP.

Which brings us to the business "ethics" of Stomp, Inc.: In your current website sales
description for Backup MyPC at <http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml?ctm1>,
why is there no "fine print" informing potential new buyers of this product that
Backup MyPC is not compatible with some versions of Windows XP, and cannot do
automated Disaster Recovery under some versions of Windows XP? In my case,
I purchased and used Backup MyPC last year when I was previously running Windows
98SE. Doesn't anyone besides me find it strange that Backup MyPC could do automated
Disaster Recovery under Windows 98SE, but cannot do automated Disaster Recovery
under some versions of Windows XP?

Finally, it appears to me that some computer disk manufactures also have a vested financial
interest in not always having automated Disaster Recovery available under Windows XP:
My backup D: disk is a removable internal disk drive. I will probably purchase at least
one more such device to be used with Norton Ghost, since this appears to be the only
way that I can get any kind of automated Disaster Recovery system under Windows
XP. I will use my other present removable internal disk drive for backups created by
Backup MyPC like I do at present, so I can continue to have some historical backups.

In conclusion, there is a real opportunity for some entrepreneur to write a comprehensive
backup and automated Disaster Recovery system that always works under Windows XP.
Incidentally, I never did receive any reply to my previous e-mail to you of October 22,
2003, a copy of which immediately follows this e-mail.

Richard A. Landkamer

To: Pete Macomber
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition has replaced my previous problem with Backup MyPC with an entirely new problem.

Pete:

Thank you for your reply in which you state: "New versions of Windows XP Pro/Home are
sold with SP1a pre-installed and these discs will install a system which is compatible
with Backup MyPC's Disaster Recovery." At the end of my previous e-mail to you of
October 19, 2003, I stated: "If I can get automated Disaster Recovery to work by
simply reinstalling a current retail version of Windows XP with Service Pack 1
already preinstalled, then that is what I intend to do." This is still what I intend to do.

However, I suggest that you update your Stomp Inc. website with this additional information.
I do not know for how long this new version of Windows XP Pro/Home has been available
with SP1a pre-installed, which you state "is compatible with Backup MyPC's Disaster
Recovery." However, I think this is important information that should be available to anyone
who uses Backup MyPC, and is planning to upgrade to any version of Windows XP from
a previous version of Windows. What this means is that people can avoid having to reinstall
Windows XP - in order to get Backup MyPC's automated Disaster Recovery to work -
if they know that they can avoid this problem by purchasing a current version of Windows
XP with Service Pack 1 already pre-installed.

I also note your statement that:

"One thing to consider when deciding on a path to resolve the SP1 issues: the workaround for
restoring is not much different than the DR restore. It involves more user interaction and can
possibly take you an extra hour to restore everything. This method is described here:

But isn't the "extra hour to restore everything" with your other above alternate approach just
the beginning of any Disaster Recovery process with this procedure? Won't people then
have to reinstall and reconfigure all of their applications? Will products like Internet Explorer
and Outlook Express have all of the subsequent current critical fixes from Windows Update
applied with your alternate Disaster Recovery process, or will all of these subsequent fixes
have to be reapplied? Your alternate Disaster Recovery procedure looks to me like a clean
install of Windows XP with at least a week of subsequent recovery work thereafter. Then
there would be some applications that were originally installed under Windows 9X with
subsequent upgrades only. Some original Windows 9X products might not even be able
to be reinstalled under Windows XP, so that they could then subsequently be upgraded...
Unless I misunderstand something, your "extra hour to restore everything" appears to be
only the beginning of a long recovery nightmare.

On the other hand, with true Disaster Recovery, I should be able to restore my computer
to its original state at the time of the backup that is being restored. What would be critical
here is how current is my last backup, and what has transpired subsequent to that backup?
Am I missing anything with this analysis? If so, please let me know.

Richard A. Landkamer

To: 'Richard A. Landkamer'
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 8:56 AM
Subject: RE: Upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition has replaced my previous problem with Backup MyPC with an entirely new problem.

Richard,

You may want to try Norton Ghost if you choose to replace BUMP as it is one of the most commonly used backup applications and has a good reputation. I do know the restore problems with SP1 affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well, so look into this before deciding on a new backup application.

One thing to consider when deciding on a path to resolve the SP1 issues: the workaround for restoring is not much different than the DR restore. It involves more user interaction and can possibly take you an extra hour to restore everything. This method is described here:
http://supportforum.stompinc.com/images/admin_images/xp_sp1.htm

New versions of Windows XP Pro/Home are sold with SP1a pre-installed and these discs will install a system which is compatible with Backup MyPC's Disaster Recovery.
Please contact me if you need further clarification or assistance.

Regards,

Pete Macomber

Support Manager

Stomp Inc.

2302 Barranca Pkwy

Irvine, CA 92606

Office: 949.263.8560

Email: (e-mail address removed)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 1:59 AM
Subject: Upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition has replaced my previous problem with Backup MyPC with an entirely new problem.

Dear Mr. Macomber:

First, you should be interested in knowing that the problem we correspondended about
last August, and which is in the following forwarded e-mail message, appears to have been
eliminated when I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition
about a week ago. I still have the same 80 Gig. Backup D: Drive that I had before this
upgrade, but it is no longer a FAT32 drive with 32K clusters. It is now an NTFS drive
with 512 byte clusters. Before this upgrade, I eventually discovered that I could usually
reproduce the original problem with one particular file whenever I defragged that drive
using Diskeeper v7.0. However, after upgrading to Windows XP, it appears that I no
longer have my original problem. In doing backups with your Veritas-Stomp Backup
MyPC v4.85, and then subsequent defrags -- now with Diskeeper 8.0 -- I have not been
able to recreate that problem. I'll let you know if it ever reappears using Windows XP
Professional Edition.

On the other hand, I now have an entirely new problem with your Backup MyPC (BUMPC)
v4.85 after upgrading to Windows XP Professional Edition. However, unlike my previous
problem which I never saw described anywhere else, my new problem is described in
some detail in the following two postings on your Stomp Inc. website:

At one point in your 1st posting, above, you stated:

".... Slip-streamed XP SP1 installs do not exhibit these errors. I slip-streamed my retail XP
Pro disc with the downloaded SP1, and DR works fine. There are many resources on the
internet for instructions on creating slip-streamed SP1 XP discs if you are interested."

At another point in this same posting, you wrote the following:

".... You must have Windows installed from a full Windows XP with SP1 disc for ASR to
function correctly. If you are currently using Windows XP with a downloaded SP1 update,
ASR will not function. You must reinstall your operating system with a Windows XP with
SP1disc for ASR or Disaster Recovery to function. Considering reinstallation is not an
option for most people, you can still restore all of your data and applications."

Well, I am only a week into Windows XP, and I am going to reinstall Windows XP in a
manner that will give me the same automated Disaster Recovery with your Backup MyPC
(BUMPC) that I previously had with Windows 98SE. "Upgrading" to any Microsoft
Windows operating system that cannot subsequently be restored in a rational manner,
which I could do with Windows 98SE, strikes me as an overall step going backwards.
So here are my specific questions:

(1) Do you know of any Backup and Restore software that I could purchase, and which
has an automated Disaster Recovery feature like that of BUMPC in systems other than
Windows XP? If so, I will seriously consider eliminating BUMPC, and replacing it with
a Backup and Restore system that can be made to work without my having to reinstall
Windows XP.

(2) Neither of your above two postings make any explicit reference to the most common
kind of upgrade that is done on existing computers, namely by doing an upgrade from
a previous Windows version like I did. On the other hand, there are a few references
in those postings to doing this with a clean install. Since both upgrades and clean installs
are supported in the same installation CD of most retail versions of the Windows XP
Professional Edition, and since any slipstreaming would be done using this same installation
CD, would there be any problem doing an upgrade instead of a clean installation? Only
in my case, my "upgrade" at this point would be from Windows XP with a version of
service Pack 1 that does not support automated Disaster Recovery to Windows XP
with a version of Service Pack 1 that does support automated Disaster Recovery.

(3) I obtained my present CD for Windows XP Professional Edition from my employer
at a very large discount from a regular retail version. It did not contain Windows XP
Service Pack 1. However, I almost bought a retail version because of licensing issues.
One of the stipulations with what I am currently running is that I must replace my present
Windows XP with a licensed retail version of Windows XP (or something else) if I ever
leave my present employer. FYI, I will probably retire in about 4 or 5 years. Also, I
must replace my present Windows XP with a licensed retail version of Windows XP
(or something else) if the present contract between Microsoft and my employer is ever
terminated. Who knows what might happen tomorrow in this latter regard?

Consequently, I did explore the possibility of having to suddenly reinstall Windows XP
for licensing reasons before installing my present licensed version of Windows XP.
Basically I was told that in this latter case, I would have to purchase a retail version of
Windows XP Professional Edition, and then do an "upgrade" from what would become
an unlicensed version of Windows XP Professional Edition to a licensed retail version of
Windows XP Professional Edition. Now, I am planning to reinstall Windows XP for an
entirely different reason, i.e., to get automated Disaster Recovery.

(4) It has been alleged to me that current retail versions of Windows XP Professional
Edition are now sold with Service Pack 1 preinstalled. I do not know if Microsoft has
"slipstreamed" Service Pack 1 into their current retail versions of Windows XP Professional
Edition, or what. I was only told that Service Pack 1 allegedly comes "preinstalled" on
current CDs containing Windows XP Professional Edition. Can you tell me if this is true?
If so, would any slipstreaming process have to be done if I reinstall a current version
of Windows XP Professional Edition -- if Service Pack 1 really has been preinstalled
by Microsoft -- in order for me to get automated Disaster Recovery to work with
Windows XP? There is nothing in either of the above two postings at
<http://supportforum.stompinc.com/printthread.php?t=1879> on your Stomp website that
addresses this last issue.

If I can get automated Disaster Recovery to work by simply reinstalling a current
retail version of Windows XP with Service Pack 1 already preinstalled, then that is
what I intend to do. So can I do this? Or will I still have to slipstream Service Pack
1 with any version of Windows XP that I reinstall in order to get automated Disaster
Recovery to work with Windows XP Professional Edition? Please advise. Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

C

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

I read your "very" long post this AM. I am not really sure what you are
going on about!

When I purchased Stomp Backup MyPC about 8 months ago, the 1st this I did
was to make their disaster recovery backup. It worked fine!. I have since
installed "every" update M/S has made publicly available. This morning I
again performed a Disaster Recovery backup (after reading your post). It,
again, worked fine.

That being said, I don't ever use them. Why? Because I can recover from a
complete disaster is about 5 minutes using Drive Image (either ver 2002 or
ver 7.01). A lot faster that the hour + it takes to recover using the BackUp
MyPC backup media.

I suggest that you have "issues" with your install of Windows XP, as so many
thousands of others have, due to what is either purposely installed on your
system (hardware and software), surreptitiously installed on your system or
in the way you have modified/customized your system!

I hope you get your problem resolved! Meanwhile, look into a real disaster
recovery system, one that is NOT designed to be used for general file
backups!

I recently upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional
Edition.
Under Windows 98SE I used Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC with no problems. I
could
always create Disaster Recovery disks and CDs under Windows 98SE with Backup
MyPC.
However, when I attempted to create this same type of automated Disaster
Recovery with
Backup MyPC under Windows XP Professional Edition, I discovered that it
cannot be
done. I believe that readers of this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion
list will find
the following forwarded e-mail that I sent to Mr. Pete Macomber, Support
Manager at

I am currently researching other backup products that might be either a
suitable alternative
-- or a supplement -- to Backup MyPC. One product that has been
recommended to
me by multiple sources is Norton Ghost. It appears that this product could
function as a
supplement to Backup MyPC, and could do the type of automated Disaster
Recovery that

Another product is Symantec GoBack. However, from the description of this
product
at <http://www.symantec.com/goback/>, I see nothing to indicate that
Symantec GoBack
could be used to recover one's computer system in the event of a hard disk
crash, so I

From a search of all postings to this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion
list that
contain the words "backup" and "back up"in the subject heading, I found
references that
led me to PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and NewTech Infosystems' Backup Now!
Deluxe Suite. I looked up these products on the Internet, and have sent
inquiries to their
vendors as to whether these two products have any of the type of problems
that I have
encountered with Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC product, and which prevent
users from
being able to use automated Disaster Recovery in at least some versions of
Windows XP.
Does anyone know the answer to this question? If so, I would like to know.
Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

R

Richard A. Landkamer

Crusty:

Your experiences with Stomp Backup MyPC are interesting, but they tell me nothing
about how your Windows XP (Professional or Home edition?) was originally installed.
Did you do a new clean install of Windows XP, buy a new computer with Windows
XP pre-installed, or did you do an upgrade to Windows XP from some other version
of Windows like I did? I suspect that you did NOT do any kind of upgrade to
Windows XP...

Of course there are "issues" with my install -- or more likely my upgrade install -- of
Windows XP. But precisely what are these issues??? I did everything I was told to do
to resolve the "issues" presented by Pete Macomber, Support Manager at Stomp Inc.,
prior to reinstalling Windows XP, but none of that resolved my problem? So what are
the real issues involved? FYI, I have not received any reply to my October 27, 2003,
e-mail to Pete Macomber, and I will not be surprised if I never do.

I wrote my hypothesis of what I strongly suspect are the real "issues" involved, i.e., that
Microsoft has done something to make it impossible for anyone who does an upgrade
to Windows XP to then use automated Disaster Recovery with Backup MyPC. I'll
abandon this theory if I start hearing from people who tell me that they also did an
upgrade to Windows XP from some other version of Windows, and then had no
problem doing automated Disaster Recovery using Backup MyPC under Windows XP.

On October 20, 2003, Pete Macomber sent me an e-mail alleging that:

"You may want to try Norton Ghost if you choose to replace BUMP as it is one of the most
commonly used backup applications and has a good reputation. I do know the restore problems
with SP1 affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well, so look into

Note Macomber's last statement alleging that "I do know the restore problems with SP1
affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well, so look into this before
deciding on a new backup application."

Unfortunately, Macomber does not name any of these "other companies" that are allegedly
affected by the same "restore problems" that I have encountered with Veritas - Stomp's
Backup MyPC, so at this point I do not know if this allegation is true or false.

I note that you recommend PowerQuest's Drive Image 7, which was one of the backup
products that I inquired about. If I purchase this product, would I have any of the same
type of "issues" with Drive Image 7 that I now have with Backup MyPC? To your
knowledge, has anyone encountered any of these same "issues" with PowerQuest's Drive
Image 7, or any other backup products for that matter? If so, which backup products?

Last night I sent e-mail inquiries to both PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and NewTech
Infosystems' Backup Now! 3.0 Deluxe Suite. I sent both of these vendors a copy of
my October 27, 2003, e-mail to Pete Macomber, Support Manager at Stomp Inc., and
bluntly asked them if I could expect to encounter any of these same problems with their
products if I decide to purchase any of them. I have not received any reply from the
vendor of Drive Image 7. However, I did receive the following copied and pasted
unsigned response from the vendor of Backup Now! 3.0 Deluxe Suite:

To: Richard A. Landkamer
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 12:13 PM
Subject: RE: Does your Backup Now! 3.0 Deluxe Suite have any of the problems that I have encountered with Veritas - Stomp's Backup
MyPC?

Dear Richard,

We have no known issues that causes our program to be useless under any versions of Windows XP. You can download the trial version
3.0.54 from our website to test our program with your system.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 10:23 PM
To: (e-mail address removed)

I might have time to do some testing this coming weekend. I don't know yet.

I conclude this response by asking you the following question about Drive Image 7: Is it
possible for this product to also take the same type of backups that can be done by Backup
MyPC? I like the ability of being able to retain multiple copies of backups of my C: Drive
as .qic files over a long period of time, which I can do with Backup MyPC, and then -- if
necessary -- subsequently be able to restore selected files from any of these backups. Can
I also do this with Drive Image 7? Or does Drive Image 7 simply make a single copy clone
of my C: Drive, which I understand is basically what Norton Ghost does? Or does Drive
Image 7 have multiple options for what one can do? If so, what are these options?

In conclusion, I would greatly appreciate your response to my above questions. Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

C

If/when I redo my system, I ALWAYS do a format/install (clean). The O/S is
installed on partition C:, along with all utility programs and major
applications. Minor programs, those I may not continue to use, are installed
to partition D:. All my personal files (My Documents, favorites, temporary
internet files, etc) are on partition D:

All my Drive Images, and other backups, are stored on a 40 gig dedicated
hard drive that is in a removable carrier (for security).

But I seldom have to do a clean install. As I build up my system I create a
series of Drive Images as such:

1. A base image, created with Drive Image 2002 floppy set, immediately after
installing the O/S. This is "before" anything has been added or changed,
hence "Base Image".

2. Install SP1 and "all" window updates. Activate. Install Drive Image 7.01.
Create Drive Image called XP-1.

3. Install all M/B, printer, scanner, camera etc drivers. Test system.
Defrag. Create Drive Image XP-2.

4. Install all utility programs (those I would not think of running my
computer without). Defrag and test system. Create Drive Image XP-3.

5. Install all applications and update/configure same (testing for
functionality after each install). Create Drive Image XP-4 and update the
image after installing each major application. The last application I
install is Microsoft Office. Defrag and create final image XP-4. I install
Office last so that when a new version comes out I can easily roll back to a
state before Office was even installed. Then I can install this behemoth
without having any crap left over from the previous install of Office.

5. Thereafter, on a weekly basis, I create a image (always overwriting the
previous) called XP-working. This will always get me back to the state I was
in the previous week.

I use Stomp BackUp MyPC, as necessary, to backup my personal
files/documents.

Richard A. Landkamer said:
Crusty:

Your experiences with Stomp Backup MyPC are interesting, but they tell me nothing
about how your Windows XP (Professional or Home edition?) was originally installed.
XP pre-installed, or did you do an upgrade to Windows XP from some other version
of Windows like I did? I suspect that you did NOT do any kind of upgrade to
Windows XP...

Of course there are "issues" with my install -- or more likely my upgrade install -- of
Windows XP. But precisely what are these issues??? I did everything I was told to do
to resolve the "issues" presented by Pete Macomber, Support Manager at Stomp Inc.,
prior to reinstalling Windows XP, but none of that resolved my problem? So what are
the real issues involved? FYI, I have not received any reply to my October 27, 2003,

I wrote my hypothesis of what I strongly suspect are the real "issues" involved, i.e., that
Microsoft has done something to make it impossible for anyone who does an upgrade
abandon this theory if I start hearing from people who tell me that they also did an
problem doing automated Disaster Recovery using Backup MyPC under Windows XP.

Note Macomber's last statement alleging that "I do know the restore problems with SP1
affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well, so look into this before

Unfortunately, Macomber does not name any of these "other companies" that are allegedly
affected by the same "restore problems" that I have encountered with Veritas - Stomp's
Backup MyPC, so at this point I do not know if this allegation is true or false.

I note that you recommend PowerQuest's Drive Image 7, which was one of the backup
products that I inquired about. If I purchase this product, would I have any of the same
type of "issues" with Drive Image 7 that I now have with Backup MyPC? To your
knowledge, has anyone encountered any of these same "issues" with PowerQuest's Drive
Image 7, or any other backup products for that matter? If so, which backup products?

Last night I sent e-mail inquiries to both PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and NewTech
Infosystems' Backup Now! 3.0 Deluxe Suite. I sent both of these vendors a copy of
my October 27, 2003, e-mail to Pete Macomber, Support Manager at Stomp Inc., and
bluntly asked them if I could expect to encounter any of these same problems with their
products if I decide to purchase any of them. I have not received any reply from the
vendor of Drive Image 7. However, I did receive the following copied and pasted

Subject: RE: Does your Backup Now! 3.0 Deluxe Suite have any of the
problems that I have encountered with Veritas - Stomp's Backup
MyPC?

Dear Richard,

We have no known issues that causes our program to be useless under any
versions of Windows XP. You can download the trial version

I conclude this response by asking you the following question about Drive Image 7: Is it
possible for this product to also take the same type of backups that can be done by Backup
MyPC? I like the ability of being able to retain multiple copies of backups of my C: Drive
as .qic files over a long period of time, which I can do with Backup MyPC, and then -- if
necessary -- subsequently be able to restore selected files from any of these backups. Can
I also do this with Drive Image 7? Or does Drive Image 7 simply make a single copy clone
of my C: Drive, which I understand is basically what Norton Ghost does? Or does Drive
Image 7 have multiple options for what one can do? If so, what are these options?

In conclusion, I would greatly appreciate your response to my above questions. Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:%[email protected]...

C

Sorry! Minor Correction as follows: Note corrections from step 5 onwards.

internet files, e-mail, news group messages etc) are on partition D:

1. A base image, created with Drive Image 2002 floppy set, immediately
after
hence "Base Image".

2. Install SP1 and "all" window updates. Activate. Install Drive Image

install is Microsoft Office. Defrag and create final image XP-4.

6. I install Office last, so that when a new version comes out I can easily
roll back to a
state before Office was even installed. Then I can install the new version
of this behemoth
without having any crap left over from the previous install of Office. This
is saved as XP-5

7. Thereafter, on a weekly basis, I create a image (always overwriting the
at
in the previous week.

files/documents.

Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) said:

hence "Base Image".

Office last so that when a new version comes out I can easily roll back to a

in the previous week.

files/documents.

Richard A. Landkamer said:
Crusty:

Your experiences with Stomp Backup MyPC are interesting, but they tell
me
nothing
of Windows like I did? I suspect that you did NOT do any kind of
upgrade
to
Windows XP...

Of course there are "issues" with my install -- or more likely my
upgrade
install -- of

Microsoft has done something to make it impossible for anyone who does
an
upgrade
problem doing automated Disaster Recovery using Backup MyPC under
Windows
XP.

commonly used backup applications and has a good reputation. I do know
the
restore problems

affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well, so
look
into this before

Unfortunately, Macomber does not name any of these "other companies"
that
are allegedly
Backup MyPC, so at this point I do not know if this allegation is true
or
false.

I note that you recommend PowerQuest's Drive Image 7, which was one of
the
backup
products that I inquired about. If I purchase this product, would I
have
any of the same
type of "issues" with Drive Image 7 that I now have with Backup MyPC?
To
your

Last night I sent e-mail inquiries to both PowerQuest's Drive Image 7
and
NewTech
Infosystems' Backup Now! 3.0 Deluxe Suite. I sent both of these vendors
a
copy of
vendor of Drive Image 7. However, I did receive the following copied
and
pasted

MyPC?

Dear Richard,

We have no known issues that causes our program to be useless under any

I conclude this response by asking you the following question about
Drive
Image 7: Is it
as .qic files over a long period of time, which I can do with Backup
MyPC,
and then -- if
Image 7 have multiple options for what one can do? If so, what are
these
options?

Richard A. Landkamer

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:%[email protected]... from
so
system
versions

C

Oh hell. I am so tired! One last error fix. I am so sorry for this. See step
5 please.

internet files, e-mail, news group messages etc) are on partition D:

hence "Base Image".

image after installing each major application.

6. I install Office last, so that when a new version comes out I can easily
roll back to a
state before Office was even installed. Then I can install the new version
of this behemoth
without having any crap left over from the previous install of Office. This
is saved as XP-5

7. Thereafter, on a weekly basis, I create a image (always overwriting the
at in the previous week.

files/documents.

message snip
install is Microsoft Office. Defrag and create final image XP-4.
snip

Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) said:

But I seldom have to do a clean install. As I build up my system I
create
a

hence "Base Image".

Office last so that when a new version comes out I can easily roll back
to
a

in the previous week.

files/documents.

me originally
installed. other
version upgrade upgrade
install -- of I
was told to do problem?
So what are an MyPC.
I'll they
also did an Windows is
one of the most the
restore problems look
into this before that
are allegedly or the have
any of the same To and
vendors
a
copy of
vendor of Drive Image 7. However, I did receive the following copied
and
pasted

MyPC?

Dear Richard,

We have no known issues that causes our program to be useless under
any

I might have time to do some testing this coming weekend. I don't
know
yet.
I conclude this response by asking you the following question about
Drive
Image 7: Is it
possible for this product to also take the same type of backups that
can
be done by Backup
as .qic files over a long period of time, which I can do with Backup
MyPC,
and then -- if
necessary -- subsequently be able to restore selected files from any
of
these backups. Can
I also do this with Drive Image 7? Or does Drive Image 7 simply make
a
single copy clone
of my C: Drive, which I understand is basically what Norton Ghost
does?
Or does Drive
Image 7 have multiple options for what one can do? If so, what are
these
options?

Richard A. Landkamer

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)" <[email protected]> wrote
in
message news:%[email protected]...
I read your "very" long post this AM. I am not really sure what you are
going on about!

When I purchased Stomp Backup MyPC about 8 months ago, the 1st this
I
did
was to make their disaster recovery backup. It worked fine!. I have since
installed "every" update M/S has made publicly available. This
morning
I post).
It, from 2002 the
BackUp so on
your system with
Backup
either
a product
could of
this hard
disk versions to
know.

B

Brett

Try using a disk imaging product, much more reliable than backup programs, I
Am using acronis true image 6.0.....has never failed restoring my pc, can
boot from a cd also.....they have a demo but will not allow changes....you
can restore to a clean drive also from the backup image, is highly
recommended....there website is: www.acronis.com true Image 6.0 not too
fancy like drive image but a lot cheaper but who needs all the bells &
whistles..... you need a second hard drive or have your drive partitioned
in 2 to save the backup

--
J.Brett Moar
(e-mail address removed)
Tel: (506) 228-4848
San Jose,CR

I recently upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional
Edition.
Under Windows 98SE I used Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC with no problems. I
could
always create Disaster Recovery disks and CDs under Windows 98SE with Backup
MyPC.
However, when I attempted to create this same type of automated Disaster
Recovery with
Backup MyPC under Windows XP Professional Edition, I discovered that it
cannot be
done. I believe that readers of this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion
list will find
the following forwarded e-mail that I sent to Mr. Pete Macomber, Support
Manager at

I am currently researching other backup products that might be either a
suitable alternative
-- or a supplement -- to Backup MyPC. One product that has been
recommended to
me by multiple sources is Norton Ghost. It appears that this product could
function as a
supplement to Backup MyPC, and could do the type of automated Disaster
Recovery that

Another product is Symantec GoBack. However, from the description of this
product
at <http://www.symantec.com/goback/>, I see nothing to indicate that
Symantec GoBack
could be used to recover one's computer system in the event of a hard disk
crash, so I

From a search of all postings to this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion
list that
contain the words "backup" and "back up"in the subject heading, I found
references that
led me to PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and NewTech Infosystems' Backup Now!
Deluxe Suite. I looked up these products on the Internet, and have sent
inquiries to their
vendors as to whether these two products have any of the type of problems
that I have
encountered with Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC product, and which prevent
users from
being able to use automated Disaster Recovery in at least some versions of
Windows XP.
Does anyone know the answer to this question? If so, I would like to know.
Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 1:57 AM
Subject: Upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition has
disabled automated Disaster Recovery in Veritas-Stomp Backup MyPC.

To Pete Macomber:

Last Friday, October 24, 2003, Angel Eden of Gigabyte Computer Services in
Houston,
Texas, attempted to install an Upgrade version of Windows XP Professional
Edition with
Service Pack 1 pre-installed over the original version of Windows XP
Professional Edition
that he had previously installed. FYI, I obtained the original version of
Windows XP from
my employer at a steep discount, but with a lot of licensing restrictions.

At the end of your previous E-Mail to me of October 20, 2003, you wrote the
following:
"New versions of Windows XP Pro/Home are sold with SP1a pre-installed and
these
discs will install a system which is compatible with Backup MyPC's Disaster
Recovery.
Please contact me if you need further clarification or assistance."

Your above quoted information proved to be totally false. If it was true,
then what
we did would have worked but it did not. When it did not work, Angel Eden
called you
from my home telephone, which is next to my computer that he was working on.
You told
him to try using the Windows XP Repair function. That was done, and still
we kept getting
the Stomp Backup MyPC error window stating that "The version of Windows XP
Service
Pack 1 installed on your computer does not support automated Disaster
Recovery." These
issues are described in some detail on your Stomp Inc. website at

As a last resort, we decided to try slipstreaming Service Pack 1 to the
Windows XP
Upgrade with Service Pack 1 pre-installed on the remote possibility that
Service Pack
1 had not been correctly installed by Microsoft, and that your much touted
slipstream
process might actually work. FYI, we did the slipstream process that is
described at
<http://www.windows-help.net/windowsxp/winxp-sp1-bootcd.html>, but did not
make
any attempt to incorporate the Windows XP Rollup 1 Hotfix into this
slipstream, since it
was irrelevant to what we were attempting to do. The end result after doing
all this was
that we still got the above Stomp Backup MyPC error window stating that "The
version
of Windows XP Service Pack 1 installed on your computer does not support
automated
Disaster Recovery."

Mr. Macomber, what I stated above is cold hard fact. Now I will give you my
opinion as
to why your Backup My PC automated Disaster Recovery will not work in my
situation.
First, I will state that whenever I come across technical "solutions" like
your slipstreaming
process that do not work, I start looking for hidden economic profit motives
and agendas
for why automated disaster recovery will not work with your Backup MyPC
under Windows
XP. But before I state what I believe, I have one other point to make: In
everything that I
have read about this automated Disaster Recovery problem with Windows XP, I
have yet
to read a single technical explanation as to why automated disaster recovery
will not work
with your Backup MyPC on Windows XP. All we read is how to use workaround
"solutions" that did not work in my case. To me, this smacks of a cover up
and a "smoke-
screen" to conceal some hidden profit agenda.

It is my belief that the primary reason why automated Disaster Recovery
cannot be
made to work in situations like mine is because of the untold profits that
Microsoft
can make by disabling the ability to do automatic Disaster Recovery with
products
like your Backup MyPC in all Upgrade versions of Windows XP. In order to
under-
stand this, you have to look at how Microsoft currently markets and licenses
Windows XP.

When Windows XP was originally released by Microsoft, I understand that most
Microsoft
installation CDs for Windows XP had the ability to do either (1) a new clean
install of Win-
dows XP, or (2) an Upgrade to Windows XP from another/previous version of
Windows.
The original Windows XP installation CD that I purchased from my employer
has this ability.
The above mentioned Angel Eden of Gigabyte Computer Services also builds
custom built
computers like mine, which I purchased from Gigabyte in August, 2001. I was
informed
that until recently, Gigabyte would get OEM versions of Windows XP from
Microsoft that
had this same ability to do either (1) a new clean install of Windows XP, or
(2) an upgrade
to Windows XP from another/previous version of Windows. But recently,
Microsoft has
started to market most of its Windows XP installation CDs as either (1) a
new clean install
version, or (2) an Upgrade version, but not both. I got the impression that
you can still buy
installation CDs with both of the above versions of Windows XP, but at a
much higher cost.

In the 2nd paragraph of your e-mail to me of October 20, 2003, you wrote.
"One thing to consider when deciding on a path to resolve the SP1 issues:
the workaround for
restoring is not much different than the DR restore. It involves more user
interaction and can
possibly take you an extra hour to restore everything. This method is
described here:

In Step 2 of that procedure, we read "Reinstall Windows XP," and in Step 3
we read:
"Reinstall Windows XP Service Pack 1.:" You left out Step 2a, which applies
to
everyone who Upgraded to Windows XP from a another/previous version, and
does not have either (a) an old Windows XP installation CD that has the
ability to
do both (1) a new clean install of Windows XP, and (2) an upgrade to Windows
XP
from another/previous version of Windows, or (b) a full installation CD of
another/
previous version of Windows from which an Upgrade to Windows XP can be
performed: This missing step is to go out and purchase a new CD that
contains a
new clean installation of Windows XP Professional or Home edition.

In other words, if the only installation CD that you have for Windows XP
(Profes-
sional or Home edition) is the Upgrade CD, and you have no other CD from
which
an Upgrade to Windows XP can be done -- and your hard disk crashes -- you
must
purchase a new installation CD of Windows XP, and do a new clean install of
Windows XP (Professional or Home edition.)

I contend that Microsoft has a vested financial interest to force their
users of
Windows XP into the above predicament. I believe that it is no accident
that
Microsoft has sabotaged the ability to do automatic Disaster Recovery for
Windows XP users like me. If this was an accident, Microsoft would have
fixed
this problem by now. They have certainly had ample time to fix this problem
if they
wanted to. This tells me a lot about the business "ethics" of Microsoft.

This also tells me a lot about the business "ethics" of Veritas and Stomp.
In the first
paragraph of your previous e-mail to me of October 20, 2003, you stated:

"You may want to try Norton Ghost if you choose to replace BUMP as it is one
of the most
commonly used backup applications and has a good reputation. I do know the
restore problems
with SP1 affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well,
so look into

Angel Eden explained to me how Norton Ghost works: Before bringing up
Windows XP,
Norton Ghost can copy all of your C: Drive to any clone disk of the same
size, which can
then be used as a Disaster Recovery boot up disk. This copy process to a
clone disk is
apparently done under DOS before the boot up process invokes Windows XP,
which raises
the obvious question: Why doesn't Veritas do something similar with full
backups taken by
its Backup MyPC product? It appears to me that "the fix is in," and Veritas
does not want
its Backup MyPC product to be able to perform automatic Disaster Recovery
under all
versions of Windows XP, or more specifically, under versions of Windows XP
that were
installed using Upgrade versions of Windows XP. In this latter regard, I
note the following
statement in your above "workaround" alternate procedure for "Restoring All
of Your Files
with Backup MyPC" at
<http://supportforum.stompinc.com/images/admin_images/xp_sp1.htm>:

"Note: If you purchased Backup MyPC as a downloadable file over the
Internet and no
longer have access to the application file, you may need to contact your
reseller to obtain
another copy."

In other words, it looks like Veritas also has a vested financial interest
to not always make
Backup MyPC be able to perform automated Disaster Recovery under Windows XP.

Which brings us to the business "ethics" of Stomp, Inc.: In your current
website sales
description for Backup MyPC at
<http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump-retail.phtml?ctm1>,
why is there no "fine print" informing potential new buyers of this product
that
Backup MyPC is not compatible with some versions of Windows XP, and cannot
do
automated Disaster Recovery under some versions of Windows XP? In my case,
I purchased and used Backup MyPC last year when I was previously running
Windows
98SE. Doesn't anyone besides me find it strange that Backup MyPC could do
automated
Disaster Recovery under Windows 98SE, but cannot do automated Disaster
Recovery
under some versions of Windows XP?

Finally, it appears to me that some computer disk manufactures also have a
vested financial
interest in not always having automated Disaster Recovery available under
Windows XP:
My backup D: disk is a removable internal disk drive. I will probably
purchase at least
one more such device to be used with Norton Ghost, since this appears to be
the only
way that I can get any kind of automated Disaster Recovery system under
Windows
XP. I will use my other present removable internal disk drive for backups
created by
Backup MyPC like I do at present, so I can continue to have some historical
backups.

In conclusion, there is a real opportunity for some entrepreneur to write a
comprehensive
backup and automated Disaster Recovery system that always works under
Windows XP.
Incidentally, I never did receive any reply to my previous e-mail to you of
October 22,
2003, a copy of which immediately follows this e-mail.

Richard A. Landkamer

To: Pete Macomber
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition
has replaced my previous problem with Backup MyPC with an entirely new
problem.

Pete:

Thank you for your reply in which you state: "New versions of Windows XP
Pro/Home are
sold with SP1a pre-installed and these discs will install a system which is
compatible
with Backup MyPC's Disaster Recovery." At the end of my previous e-mail to
you of
October 19, 2003, I stated: "If I can get automated Disaster Recovery to
work by
simply reinstalling a current retail version of Windows XP with Service Pack
already preinstalled, then that is what I intend to do." This is still what
I intend to do.

However, I suggest that you update your Stomp Inc. website with this
additional information.
I do not know for how long this new version of Windows XP Pro/Home has been
available
with SP1a pre-installed, which you state "is compatible with Backup MyPC's
Disaster
Recovery." However, I think this is important information that should be
available to anyone
who uses Backup MyPC, and is planning to upgrade to any version of Windows
XP from
a previous version of Windows. What this means is that people can avoid
having to reinstall
Windows XP - in order to get Backup MyPC's automated Disaster Recovery to
work -
if they know that they can avoid this problem by purchasing a current
version of Windows
XP with Service Pack 1 already pre-installed.

I also note your statement that:

"One thing to consider when deciding on a path to resolve the SP1 issues:
the workaround for
restoring is not much different than the DR restore. It involves more user
interaction and can
possibly take you an extra hour to restore everything. This method is
described here:

But isn't the "extra hour to restore everything" with your other above
alternate approach just
the beginning of any Disaster Recovery process with this procedure? Won't
people then
have to reinstall and reconfigure all of their applications? Will products
like Internet Explorer
and Outlook Express have all of the subsequent current critical fixes from
Windows Update
applied with your alternate Disaster Recovery process, or will all of these
subsequent fixes
have to be reapplied? Your alternate Disaster Recovery procedure looks to
me like a clean
install of Windows XP with at least a week of subsequent recovery work
thereafter. Then
there would be some applications that were originally installed under
Windows 9X with
subsequent upgrades only. Some original Windows 9X products might not even
be able
to be reinstalled under Windows XP, so that they could then subsequently be
upgraded...
Unless I misunderstand something, your "extra hour to restore everything"
appears to be
only the beginning of a long recovery nightmare.

On the other hand, with true Disaster Recovery, I should be able to restore
my computer
to its original state at the time of the backup that is being restored.
What would be critical
here is how current is my last backup, and what has transpired subsequent to
that backup?
Am I missing anything with this analysis? If so, please let me know.

Richard A. Landkamer

To: 'Richard A. Landkamer'
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 8:56 AM
Subject: RE: Upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional
Edition has replaced my previous problem with Backup MyPC with an entirely
new problem.

Richard,

You may want to try Norton Ghost if you choose to replace BUMP as it is
one of the most commonly used backup applications and has a good reputation.
I do know the restore problems with SP1 affect not only Backup MyPC, but
other companies software as well, so look into this before deciding on a new
backup application.

One thing to consider when deciding on a path to resolve the SP1 issues:
the workaround for restoring is not much different than the DR restore. It
involves more user interaction and can possibly take you an extra hour to
restore everything. This method is described here:
http://supportforum.stompinc.com/images/admin_images/xp_sp1.htm

New versions of Windows XP Pro/Home are sold with SP1a pre-installed and
these discs will install a system which is compatible with Backup MyPC's
Disaster Recovery.
Please contact me if you need further clarification or assistance.

Regards,

Pete Macomber

Support Manager

Stomp Inc.

2302 Barranca Pkwy

Irvine, CA 92606

Office: 949.263.8560

Email: (e-mail address removed)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 1:59 AM
Subject: Upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition
has replaced my previous problem with Backup MyPC with an entirely new
problem.

Dear Mr. Macomber:

First, you should be interested in knowing that the problem we
correspondended about
last August, and which is in the following forwarded e-mail message,
appears to have been
eliminated when I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional
Edition
about a week ago. I still have the same 80 Gig. Backup D: Drive that I
had before this
upgrade, but it is no longer a FAT32 drive with 32K clusters. It is now
an NTFS drive
with 512 byte clusters. Before this upgrade, I eventually discovered that
I could usually
reproduce the original problem with one particular file whenever I
defragged that drive
using Diskeeper v7.0. However, after upgrading to Windows XP, it appears
that I no
longer have my original problem. In doing backups with your Veritas-Stomp
Backup
MyPC v4.85, and then subsequent defrags -- now with Diskeeper 8.0 -- I
have not been
able to recreate that problem. I'll let you know if it ever reappears
using Windows XP
Professional Edition.

On the other hand, I now have an entirely new problem with your Backup
MyPC (BUMPC)
v4.85 after upgrading to Windows XP Professional Edition. However, unlike
my previous
problem which I never saw described anywhere else, my new problem is
described in
some detail in the following two postings on your Stomp Inc. website:

At one point in your 1st posting, above, you stated:

".... Slip-streamed XP SP1 installs do not exhibit these errors. I
slip-streamed my retail XP
Pro disc with the downloaded SP1, and DR works fine. There are many
resources on the
internet for instructions on creating slip-streamed SP1 XP discs if you
are interested."

At another point in this same posting, you wrote the following:

".... You must have Windows installed from a full Windows XP with SP1 disc
for ASR to
function correctly. If you are currently using Windows XP with a
downloaded SP1 update,
ASR will not function. You must reinstall your operating system with a
Windows XP with
SP1disc for ASR or Disaster Recovery to function. Considering
reinstallation is not an
option for most people, you can still restore all of your data and
applications."

Well, I am only a week into Windows XP, and I am going to reinstall
Windows XP in a
manner that will give me the same automated Disaster Recovery with your
Backup MyPC
(BUMPC) that I previously had with Windows 98SE. "Upgrading" to any
Microsoft
Windows operating system that cannot subsequently be restored in a
rational manner,
which I could do with Windows 98SE, strikes me as an overall step going
backwards.
So here are my specific questions:

(1) Do you know of any Backup and Restore software that I could purchase,
and which
has an automated Disaster Recovery feature like that of BUMPC in systems
other than
Windows XP? If so, I will seriously consider eliminating BUMPC, and
replacing it with
a Backup and Restore system that can be made to work without my having to
reinstall
Windows XP.

(2) Neither of your above two postings make any explicit reference to the
most common
kind of upgrade that is done on existing computers, namely by doing an
upgrade from
a previous Windows version like I did. On the other hand, there are a few
references
in those postings to doing this with a clean install. Since both upgrades
and clean installs
are supported in the same installation CD of most retail versions of the
Windows XP
Professional Edition, and since any slipstreaming would be done using this
same installation
CD, would there be any problem doing an upgrade instead of a clean
installation? Only
in my case, my "upgrade" at this point would be from Windows XP with a
version of
service Pack 1 that does not support automated Disaster Recovery to
Windows XP
with a version of Service Pack 1 that does support automated Disaster
Recovery.

(3) I obtained my present CD for Windows XP Professional Edition from my
employer
at a very large discount from a regular retail version. It did not
contain Windows XP
Service Pack 1. However, I almost bought a retail version because of
licensing issues.
One of the stipulations with what I am currently running is that I must
replace my present
Windows XP with a licensed retail version of Windows XP (or something
else) if I ever
leave my present employer. FYI, I will probably retire in about 4 or 5
years. Also, I
must replace my present Windows XP with a licensed retail version of
Windows XP
(or something else) if the present contract between Microsoft and my
employer is ever
terminated. Who knows what might happen tomorrow in this latter regard?

Consequently, I did explore the possibility of having to suddenly
reinstall Windows XP
for licensing reasons before installing my present licensed version of
Windows XP.
Basically I was told that in this latter case, I would have to purchase a
retail version of
Windows XP Professional Edition, and then do an "upgrade" from what would
become
an unlicensed version of Windows XP Professional Edition to a licensed
retail version of
Windows XP Professional Edition. Now, I am planning to reinstall Windows
XP for an
entirely different reason, i.e., to get automated Disaster Recovery.

(4) It has been alleged to me that current retail versions of Windows XP
Professional
Edition are now sold with Service Pack 1 preinstalled. I do not know if
Microsoft has
"slipstreamed" Service Pack 1 into their current retail versions of
Windows XP Professional
Edition, or what. I was only told that Service Pack 1 allegedly comes
"preinstalled" on
current CDs containing Windows XP Professional Edition. Can you tell me
if this is true?
If so, would any slipstreaming process have to be done if I reinstall a
current version
of Windows XP Professional Edition -- if Service Pack 1 really has been
preinstalled
by Microsoft -- in order for me to get automated Disaster Recovery to work
with
Windows XP? There is nothing in either of the above two postings at
<http://supportforum.stompinc.com/printthread.php?t=1879> on your Stomp
website that
addresses this last issue.

If I can get automated Disaster Recovery to work by simply reinstalling a
current
retail version of Windows XP with Service Pack 1 already preinstalled,
then that is
what I intend to do. So can I do this? Or will I still have to
slipstream Service Pack
1 with any version of Windows XP that I reinstall in order to get
automated Disaster
Recovery to work with Windows XP Professional Edition? Please advise.
Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

Ask a Question