Can anyone tell me what other Backup products have any of the problems that I have encountered with

Richard A. Landkamer

I recently upgraded my computer from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Professional Edition.
Under Windows 98SE I used Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC with no problems. I could
always create Disaster Recovery disks and CDs under Windows 98SE with Backup MyPC.
However, when I attempted to create this same type of automated Disaster Recovery with
Backup MyPC under Windows XP Professional Edition, I discovered that it cannot be
done. I believe that readers of this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion list will find
the following forwarded e-mail that I sent to Mr. Pete Macomber, Support Manager at
Stomp Inc., to be self-explanatory in this regard.

I am currently researching other backup products that might be either a suitable alternative
-- or a supplement -- to Backup MyPC. One product that has been recommended to
me by multiple sources is Norton Ghost. It appears that this product could function as a
supplement to Backup MyPC, and could do the type of automated Disaster Recovery that
Backup MyPC cannot do under at least some versions of Windows XP.

Another product is Symantec GoBack. However, from the description of this product
at <http://www.symantec.com/goback/>, I see nothing to indicate that Symantec GoBack
could be used to recover one's computer system in the event of a hard disk crash, so I
question whether this product would be applicable to what I need.

From a search of all postings to this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion list that
contain the words "backup" and "back up"in the subject heading, I found references that
led me to PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and NewTech Infosystems' Backup Now! 3.0
Deluxe Suite. I looked up these products on the Internet, and have sent inquiries to their
vendors as to whether these two products have any of the type of problems that I have
encountered with Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC product, and which prevent users from
being able to use automated Disaster Recovery in at least some versions of Windows XP.
Does anyone know the answer to this question? If so, I would like to know. Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

I read your "very" long post this AM. I am not really sure what you are
going on about!

When I purchased Stomp Backup MyPC about 8 months ago, the 1st this I did
was to make their disaster recovery backup. It worked fine!. I have since
installed "every" update M/S has made publicly available. This morning I
again performed a Disaster Recovery backup (after reading your post). It,
again, worked fine.

That being said, I don't ever use them. Why? Because I can recover from a
complete disaster is about 5 minutes using Drive Image (either ver 2002 or
ver 7.01). A lot faster that the hour + it takes to recover using the BackUp
MyPC backup media.

I suggest that you have "issues" with your install of Windows XP, as so many
thousands of others have, due to what is either purposely installed on your
system (hardware and software), surreptitiously installed on your system or
in the way you have modified/customized your system!

I hope you get your problem resolved! Meanwhile, look into a real disaster
recovery system, one that is NOT designed to be used for general file
backups!

[...]

From a search of all postings to this Microsoft Windows XP public discussion
list that
contain the words "backup" and "back up"in the subject heading, I found
references that
led me to PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and NewTech Infosystems' Backup Now!
3.0
Deluxe Suite. I looked up these products on the Internet, and have sent
inquiries to their
vendors as to whether these two products have any of the type of problems
that I have
encountered with Veritas - Stomp's Backup MyPC product, and which prevent
users from
being able to use automated Disaster Recovery in at least some versions of
Windows XP.
Does anyone know the answer to this question? If so, I would like to know.
Thank you.

Richard A. Landkamer

Richard A. Landkamer

Crusty:

Your experiences with Stomp Backup MyPC are interesting, but they tell me nothing
about how your Windows XP (Professional or Home edition?) was originally installed.
Did you do a new clean install of Windows XP, buy a new computer with Windows
XP pre-installed, or did you do an upgrade to Windows XP from some other version
of Windows like I did? I suspect that you did NOT do any kind of upgrade to
Windows XP...

Of course there are "issues" with my install -- or more likely my upgrade install -- of
Windows XP. But precisely what are these issues??? I did everything I was told to do
to resolve the "issues" presented by Pete Macomber, Support Manager at Stomp Inc.,
prior to reinstalling Windows XP, but none of that resolved my problem? So what are
the real issues involved? FYI, I have not received any reply to my October 27, 2003,
e-mail to Pete Macomber, and I will not be surprised if I never do.

I wrote my hypothesis of what I strongly suspect are the real "issues" involved, i.e., that
Microsoft has done something to make it impossible for anyone who does an upgrade
to Windows XP to then use automated Disaster Recovery with Backup MyPC. I'll
abandon this theory if I start hearing from people who tell me that they also did an
upgrade to Windows XP from some other version of Windows, and then had no
problem doing automated Disaster Recovery using Backup MyPC under Windows XP.

On October 20, 2003, Pete Macomber sent me an e-mail alleging that:

"You may want to try Norton Ghost if you choose to replace BUMP as it is one of the most
commonly used backup applications and has a good reputation. I do know the restore problems
with SP1 affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well, so look into
this before deciding on a new backup application."

Note Macomber's last statement alleging that "I do know the restore problems with SP1
affect not only Backup MyPC, but other companies software as well, so look into this before
deciding on a new backup application."

Unfortunately, Macomber does not name any of these "other companies" that are allegedly
affected by the same "restore problems" that I have encountered with Veritas - Stomp's
Backup MyPC, so at this point I do not know if this allegation is true or false.

I note that you recommend PowerQuest's Drive Image 7, which was one of the backup
products that I inquired about. If I purchase this product, would I have any of the same
type of "issues" with Drive Image 7 that I now have with Backup MyPC? To your
knowledge, has anyone encountered any of these same "issues" with PowerQuest's Drive
Image 7, or any other backup products for that matter? If so, which backup products?

Last night I sent e-mail inquiries to both PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 and NewTech
Infosystems' Backup Now! 3.0 Deluxe Suite. I sent both of these vendors a copy of
my October 27, 2003, e-mail to Pete Macomber, Support Manager at Stomp Inc., and
bluntly asked them if I could expect to encounter any of these same problems with their
products if I decide to purchase any of them. I have not received any reply from the
vendor of Drive Image 7. However, I did receive the following copied and pasted
unsigned response from the vendor of Backup Now! 3.0 Deluxe Suite:

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

If/when I redo my system, I ALWAYS do a format/install (clean). The O/S is
installed on partition C:, along with all utility programs and major
applications. Minor programs, those I may not continue to use, are installed
to partition D:. All my personal files (My Documents, favorites, temporary
internet files, etc) are on partition D:

All my Drive Images, and other backups, are stored on a 40 gig dedicated
hard drive that is in a removable carrier (for security).

But I seldom have to do a clean install. As I build up my system I create a
series of Drive Images as such:

1. A base image, created with Drive Image 2002 floppy set, immediately after
installing the O/S. This is "before" anything has been added or changed,
hence "Base Image".

2. Install SP1 and "all" window updates. Activate. Install Drive Image 7.01.
Create Drive Image called XP-1.

3. Install all M/B, printer, scanner, camera etc drivers. Test system.
Defrag. Create Drive Image XP-2.

4. Install all utility programs (those I would not think of running my
computer without). Defrag and test system. Create Drive Image XP-3.

5. Install all applications and update/configure same (testing for
functionality after each install). Create Drive Image XP-4 and update the
image after installing each major application. The last application I
install is Microsoft Office. Defrag and create final image XP-4. I install
Office last so that when a new version comes out I can easily roll back to a
state before Office was even installed. Then I can install this behemoth
without having any crap left over from the previous install of Office.

5. Thereafter, on a weekly basis, I create a image (always overwriting the
previous) called XP-working. This will always get me back to the state I was
in the previous week.

I use Stomp BackUp MyPC, as necessary, to backup my personal
files/documents.

Richard A. Landkamer said:
[...]

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:%[email protected]...

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

Sorry! Minor Correction as follows: Note corrections from step 5 onwards.

If/when I redo my system, I ALWAYS do a format/install (clean). The O/S is
installed on partition C:, along with all utility programs and major
applications. Minor programs, those I may not continue to use, are installed
to partition D:. All my personal files (My Documents, favorites, temporary
internet files, e-mail, news group messages etc) are on partition D:

[...]

6. I install Office last, so that when a new version comes out I can easily
roll back to a
state before Office was even installed. Then I can install the new version
of this behemoth
without having any crap left over from the previous install of Office. This
is saved as XP-5

7. Thereafter, on a weekly basis, I create a image (always overwriting the
previous) called XP-working. This will always get me back to the state I was
at

Richard A. Landkamer said:
[...]

message news:%[email protected]... from
2002
so
system
versions

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

Oh hell. I am so tired! One last error fix. I am so sorry for this. See step
5 please.

[...]

at in the previous week.

I use Stomp BackUp MyPC, as necessary, to backup my personal
files/documents.

message snip
5. Install all applications and update/configure same (testing for
functionality after each install). Create Drive Image XP-4 and update the
image after installing each major application. The last application I
install is Microsoft Office. Defrag and create final image XP-4.
snip

Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) said:
[...]

me originally
installed. other
version upgrade upgrade
install -- of I
was told to do problem?
So what are an MyPC.
I'll they
also did an Windows is
one of the most the
restore problems look
into this before that
are allegedly or the have
any of the same To and
vendors
[...]

I post).
It, from 2002 the
BackUp so on
your system with
Backup
either
a product
could of
this hard
disk versions to
know.

Brett

Try using a disk imaging product, much more reliable than backup programs, I
Am using acronis true image 6.0.....has never failed restoring my pc, can
boot from a cd also.....they have a demo but will not allow changes....you
can restore to a clean drive also from the backup image, is highly
recommended....there website is: www.acronis.com true Image 6.0 not too
fancy like drive image but a lot cheaper but who needs all the bells &
whistles..... you need a second hard drive or have your drive partitioned
in 2 to save the backup

--
J.Brett Moar
(e-mail address removed)

[...]