Still having localhost problems

Stefan B Rusynko

Do not make new webs or folders in Network places
Open your root web in FP (File Open Site http://localhost/) from network places
If localhost will not let you create new subwebs (by right clicking the root web and selecting New Subsite)
- Use Tools Server Admin and then create a subweb option on the SE admin page that opens

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

| Ok, I opened Frontpage and clicked on Open then Network places then
| localhost, then clicked on the icon to make a new folder - a box popped up
| that said New Folder - in that popup box it said:
|
| Current Folder:
| http://localhost/
|
| Name - so I typed in a name
| Folder Contains: Documents or I could choose Web (I tried both)
|
| I left it on documents - and it said I don't have permission to access this
| web folder location.
|
| so I clicked on Web and then it went to a Create a Network Place wizard -
| and it said unable to create folder please enter a different name - tried
| various names no luck
|
| can you help me still?
|
| thanks SO MUCH Kathleen! I really appreciate this!
|
| Pam
|
| message | > Hi Pam:
| > I'm glad you're still here and haven't given up :)
| >
| > First, don't install SharePoint - the FPSE 2002 is what you want.
| >
| > In FrontPage, open http://localhost/ , create a new folder, and then right
| > click on that folder and choose Convert to Web. Does it let you do that?
| > If so, try a View > Refresh - does it let you do that?
| >
| > --
| >
| > ~ Kathleen Anderson
| > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > Spider Web Woman Designs
| > web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

| >> fpse...cleaned machine, rebooted - and then reinstalled.
| >>
| >> NOW I can open fp - even go to network places/localhost - but now there
| >> is nothing in there (I moved all my folders to a back up that were
| >> there-but at least it opens now and doesn't give me the error) I did try
| >> to move one webfolder back to localhost, but it doesn't show up when I
| >> try to open thru normal operations thru fp. When I open a web thru My
| >> Documents and try to 'publish' to local host - it says that fpse or
| >> windows sharepoint services are not installed.
| >>
| >> Hopefully I'm almost there - I know that fpse are installed (2002) but
| >> not sure about win sharepoint - should I install that and where do I find
| >> that?
| >>
| >> thanks
| >> Pam
| >>
| >> message | >>> I'm glad it worked - it was a very long thread - I'm glad you had the

Jens Peter Karlsen [FP-MVP]

If you want to create a subweb of your new folder, simply right click
it and choose convert to subweb.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage

wrote in message Pam:
[...]

ok, when doing what you have below - after localhost opens - and the
flashlight looks for any folders under localhost (finding none) - a blank
new page opens.... I'm not sure how I would right click on localhost and
create a new subweb ?

on your 2nd suggestion - I looked under Tools in fp but find no Server
Admin? am I in the wrong place?

thanks for your help
Pam

Stefan B Rusynko said:
Do not make new webs or folders in Network places
Open your root web in FP (File Open Site http://localhost/) from network
places
If localhost will not let you create new subwebs (by right clicking the
root web and selecting New Subsite)
- Use Tools Server Admin and then create a subweb option on the SE admin
page that opens

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

| Ok, I opened Frontpage and clicked on Open then Network places then
| localhost, then clicked on the icon to make a new folder - a box popped
up
| that said New Folder - in that popup box it said:
|
| Current Folder:
| http://localhost/
|
| Name - so I typed in a name
| Folder Contains: Documents or I could choose Web (I tried both)
|
| I left it on documents - and it said I don't have permission to access
this
| web folder location.
|
| so I clicked on Web and then it went to a Create a Network Place
wizard -
| and it said unable to create folder please enter a different name -
tried
| various names no luck
|
| can you help me still?
|
| thanks SO MUCH Kathleen! I really appreciate this!
|
| Pam
|
| message | > Hi Pam:
| > I'm glad you're still here and haven't given up :)
| >
| > First, don't install SharePoint - the FPSE 2002 is what you want.
| >
| > In FrontPage, open http://localhost/ , create a new folder, and then
right
| > click on that folder and choose Convert to Web. Does it let you do
that?
| > If so, try a View > Refresh - does it let you do that?
| >
| > --
| >
| > ~ Kathleen Anderson
| > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > Spider Web Woman Designs
| > web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

| >> fpse...cleaned machine, rebooted - and then reinstalled.
| >>
| >> NOW I can open fp - even go to network places/localhost - but now
there
| >> is nothing in there (I moved all my folders to a back up that were
| >> there-but at least it opens now and doesn't give me the error) I did
try
| >> to move one webfolder back to localhost, but it doesn't show up when
| >> try to open thru normal operations thru fp. When I open a web thru My
| >> Documents and try to 'publish' to local host - it says that fpse or
| >> windows sharepoint services are not installed.
| >>
| >> Hopefully I'm almost there - I know that fpse are installed (2002)
but
| >> not sure about win sharepoint - should I install that and where do I
find
| >> that?
| >>
| >> thanks
| >> Pam

in
| >> message | >>> I'm glad it worked - it was a very long thread - I'm glad you had
the

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index...&showtopic=81195&pid=454874&st=0&#entry454874

Install
Please

I've

Documents

<[email protected]>

message

Pam

my problem is though I can't get into the localhost

when doing Stephan's suggestion I tried a few other things - here they are:

open fp2003 - go to File/New/ One page website - type in location as
http://localhost/test and then it says "the web server at http://localhost
does not appear to have windows sharepoint services installed. So then tried
to import a live web and publish to localhost - same error - no sps
installed;

My question at this point would be - is there any advantage (and if so, what
is it) to design/open/save my webs to localhost vs where it wants to
default - c:/my documents/mywebs ??

thanks
Pam

:
"Documents in this folder are not available. The folder
may
have been moved or deleted, or network problems may be
preventing a connection to the server".

I've removed IIS - reinstalled - removed FPSE -
reinstalled....detect and repair - nothing works (although
when I go do the hard drive under inetpub/wwwroot - I can
see all my webs still there as before. However, I just
noticed that I I click on File/ New - in the location of
new
website place (where it USED to say http://locahost/ it
now
says http://<--nohost-->/mysite is that ANY HELP in
figuring
out this problem????

thanks anyone for helping!

Pam

Pam

I opened the IIS snap in and maybe some of this info would help figure this
problem out

Here is how it is listed:

IIS
Shilo (local Computer)
+Web Sites
+Default Web Site
+IIS Help
+common
+iis
Printers
Scripts
TSweb
_vti_pvt

+FTP Sites
Default FTP Site
+Default SMTP Virtual Server
Domains
current Sessions

anything here look out of order?

thanks
Pam

wrote in message
[...]

Where can I get the FPSE 2002 extensions?? maybe that will work - I'm so
sick of this problem I'm ready to dump fp and go to
dreammaker....sigh.....it seems when I google this problem - I'm not the
only one having it - but there seems to be no answers......

Pam .. who has tried uninstalling just about everything...reinstalled and
still no help

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
If you want to create a subweb of your new folder, simply right click
it and choose convert to subweb.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:27:55 -0500, "Pam"

wrote in message
[...]

Ronx

Looks like the extensions are not installed. There should be other folders
under Default Web Site named:

- Default Web Site
+ _vti_bin
+ _vti_admin
+ _vti_auth
+ _vti_cnf
+ _vti_log
+_vti_pvt
+ _vti_script
+ _vti_text

Reinstall the 2000 extensions from the Windows XP CD.
FP2002 extensions are no longer available.
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)

wrote in message
[...]

ok - those are all there....

I can go to File/New/ One page web / and then type in for location
http://localhost/testing and then it says "An error occurred accesing your
Windows SPS site files. Authors - if authoring against a web server please
contact the webmaster for this seerver's website. Webmasters - pls see
servers application event log for more details"

If I try to OPEN SITE, I get the same error: "documents in this folder are
not available. The folder may have been moved or deleted, or network
problems may be preventing a connection to the server"

I've also checked server extensions it says no problems found -
recalculated...fine...

here is what my IIS box looks like:

IIS
+SHILO (local computer)
+ Web Sites
+ Default Web Site
+IIS Help
+_vti_bin
_vti_admin
_vti-auth
common
+iis
+htm
adminsample
+asp
art
core
misc
winhelp
images
_private
_vti_cnf
_vti_pvt
_vti_script
_vti_txt

+_vti_bin
_vti_adm
_vti_aut

Printers
Images
_private
_vti_cnf
_vti_log
_vti_pvt
_vti_script
_vti_txt

Default SMTP Virtual Server
Domains
Current Sessions

so now it looks like SE are installed......but no luck - any clues from the
above - and thanks again for helping - Kathleen said that she was
experiencing the same problems - and that MS knows about it - any help on
that end???

Pam

Pam said:
so now it looks like SE are installed......but no luck - any clues from
the above - and thanks again for helping - Kathleen said that she was
experiencing the same problems - and that MS knows about it - any help on
that end???

Hi Pam:

The folks at Microsoft PSS were very helpful - we spent at least 5 hours on
the phone and did a few LiveMeeting sessions - and we narrowed this down to
a problem with NAV 2005's Internet Worm Protection. There appear to be two
ways to solve this problem, neither of which are acceptable:

1) Turn off Internet Worm Protection
2) Stop and set to Manual all services related to Norton and Symantec and
reboot so that Norton AntiVirus is not running.

Unfortunately, getting help from Symantec is a different story. I filled out
a form on their tech support page, explaining the issue and asking them to
take a look at the July 12, 2006 Norton AntiVirus & Norton Internet Security
(Security Update 22). After two weeks of them ignoring that request, and
them asking me the same questions over and over again, trying to route me to
a different department because they thought I was running the Corporate
Edition of their products, or giving me instructions for their products that
I'm not running (Client and Host Security, Norton Internet Security and
Norton Personal Firewall, etc.), I gave up.

Their latest email said: "please note that this can be caused if the Norton
program files or registry entries got corrupted due to some program conflict
during installation."

Well, the program was installed back in November of 2004 - I would think if
there was a program conflict during installation that it would have been
evident long before now.

They are directing me to uninstall Norton AntiVirus and then reinstall it.

I am going to uninstall it but I am not going to reinstall it.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Joe Rohn

Well, the program was installed back in November of 2004 - I would think
if there was a program conflict during installation that it would have
been evident long before now.

They are directing me to uninstall Norton AntiVirus and then reinstall it.

I am going to uninstall it but I am not going to reinstall it.

Hi Kathleen,

You certainly were luckier than many when it comes to Norton. I had it hose
IIS and mess up my hard drive so badly that I nearly needed to trash it.

Right now what seems to be working very well for me are:

Windows Live Care
Windows Defender
Spyware Doctor
Registry Mechanic
Diskeeper

Those are the only protection/maintenance type apps I use, I have
uninstalled everything else and so far so good.

--
Joe

Microsoft MVP FrontPage

FrontPage and Expressions Users Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

Tom Willett

Windows Live Care and Windows Defender are still beta. You should see the
horror stories in the WinXP newsgroups. They don't stop much.

Pam

nope...not it - uninstalled ZA - rebooted, tried fp - no luck - so
uninstalled fp...rebooted, uninstalled IIS rebooted - reinstalled
Fp....rebooted; reinstalled iis rebooted....tried fp...no luck still get
same error...so reinstalled za ...

this is SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

Pam

If anyone comes up with a solution - please post - I'll check back often -
I'm tired of trying to figure out the problem at this time .....

Pam