Still having localhost problems

Pam

I'm still having problems with localhost in fp2003 running on xp pro - I
have not been able to open a website (as I have done for the past several
years) by clicking on File/Open Site/My Network Places then clicking on
Localhost - when I click on locahost it gives me the error : "Documents in
this folder are not available. The folder may have been moved or deleted, or
network problems may be preventing a connection to the server".

I've removed IIS - reinstalled - removed FPSE - reinstalled....detect and
repair - nothing works (although when I go do the hard drive under
inetpub/wwwroot - I can see all my webs still there as before. However, I
just noticed that I I click on File/ New - in the location of new website
place (where it USED to say http://locahost/ it now says
http://<--nohost-->/mysite is that ANY HELP in figuring out this
problem????

thanks anyone for helping!

Pam

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

Hi Pam:
I am having that problem, among others. I'm afraid I don't have any answers
for you, but we're working on it. Approximately when did this start?

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Mark Fitzpatrick

Do you have a firewall installed that could be blocking port 80, the default
port for talking to a web server? Also, it could be a permissions error.
Perhaps a program "secured" the computer without you knowing it by changing
the permissions in the inetpub\wwwroot directory. This happens sometimes
without us realising it.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Stefan B Rusynko

Try opening your IIS and the FP SE in IIS MMC to run a Recalculate Hyperlinks just before you open FP

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

| I'm still having problems with localhost in fp2003 running on xp pro - I
| have not been able to open a website (as I have done for the past several
| years) by clicking on File/Open Site/My Network Places then clicking on
| Localhost - when I click on locahost it gives me the error : "Documents in
| this folder are not available. The folder may have been moved or deleted, or
| network problems may be preventing a connection to the server".
|
| I've removed IIS - reinstalled - removed FPSE - reinstalled....detect and
| repair - nothing works (although when I go do the hard drive under
| inetpub/wwwroot - I can see all my webs still there as before. However, I
| just noticed that I I click on File/ New - in the location of new website
| place (where it USED to say http://locahost/ it now says
| http://<--nohost-->/mysite is that ANY HELP in figuring out this
| problem????
|
| thanks anyone for helping!
|
| Pam

Pam

Well, it has been happening for about a month or so - not sure exactly
when - tried to figure out if it was after an update or something.

I'm SO RELIEVED to see that SOMEONE else is in my boat - and who better than
the MVP!!! :)

I'll keep checking to see if you find an answer.

Pam

Pam

I do have firewall installed - ZA and have gone thru each program - unless
I'm missing something - I have all the fp info checked to go ahead and
allow.... is there something specific I should look for?

thanks

Pam

Pam

nope....wouldn't have Norton on my machine if they paid me.... do have ZA
and AVG ...though

Pam

Pam

I just tried this too - but maybe you can help in this area - it lists under
Local Network Localhost - with a world in a folder; and another folder had
made a long time ago to netowrk another computer.... when I opened
localhost - it says of course Documents in this folder are not available.
The folder may have been moved or deleted or network problems may be
preventing a connection to the server"

So I tried to set up a localhost 2 ... just to see what would happen - I
clicked on Add a network place and went thru insructions to make a
http://localhost2 ... then opened frontpage 2003 - went to Open Site/My
network places and then listed was localhost and localhost 2 - however
localhost 2 is represented by just a computer monitor icon - no the world in
the folder....when I clicked on it to open it it says I don't have access to
that folder and to see admin for access to it" .. however...I am the admin
on this machine....

any ideas?

Pam

(*******************

I opened My Network Places from the start menu -

Pam

is there any chance you might have an idea of which setting? I've gone thru
and set everything I can think of that would be connected to fp to
ok...maybe I should uninstall ZA and then try it and then ok the settings as
they come back up again.

will see if that helps..
pam

Pam

well, that wasn't it - I removed ZA rebooted, tried to open localhost in fp
... same error - however, now I can't get za loaded again - it says that
setup is unable to log into the truevector service. Install cannot continue
without logging into the TrueVEctor service. Please use the service manager
to shut down the True Vector service and then restart the installer program.

huh? what is truevector service, what is service manager? can you help ?

thanks
Pam
Tom Willett said:
No, I have no idea. I would recommend post in the Zone Alarm forums.
--
Tom Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Pam said:
is there any chance you might have an idea of which setting? I've gone
thru and set everything I can think of that would be connected to fp to
ok...maybe I should uninstall ZA and then try it and then ok the settings
as they come back up again.

will see if that helps..
pam
Tom Willett said:
I would suggest Zone Alarm is the culprit, and needs a setting change
somewhere.
--
[...]

in message Pam:
Are you running Norton Antivirus? Try turning off the worm protection
and see if that clears up the problem.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/

Well, it has been happening for about a month or so - not sure
exactly when - tried to figure out if it was after an update or
something.

I'm SO RELIEVED to see that SOMEONE else is in my boat - and who
better than the MVP!!! :)

I'll keep checking to see if you find an answer.

Pam

"Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Hi Pam:
[...]

Here's a (very) long thread that may help:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index...&showtopic=81195&pid=454874&st=0&#entry454874

--

wrote in message Hi Pam:
[...]

thank you - I'll get back

Pam

wrote in message Hi Pam:
[...]

thanks Kathleen - that took care of getting rid of all the files for ZA -
and I've got it back working - preciate that!

still have the same problems with fp though - guess I'll give up on it and
just work from My Webs - if you come up with another solution, please post
it - I'll keep looking

thanks
Pam

wrote in message Hi Pam:
[...]

I'm glad it worked - it was a very long thread - I'm glad you had the
patience for it :)

What happens when you try and open a local server based web as
http://yourmachinename/ ?

--

wrote in message Hi Pam:
[...]

Ok, I gave up on everything and removed FP2003, then removed the IIS /
fpse...cleaned machine, rebooted - and then reinstalled.

NOW I can open fp - even go to network places/localhost - but now there is
nothing in there (I moved all my folders to a back up that were there-but at
least it opens now and doesn't give me the error) I did try to move one
webfolder back to localhost, but it doesn't show up when I try to open thru
normal operations thru fp. When I open a web thru My Documents and try to
'publish' to local host - it says that fpse or windows sharepoint services
are not installed.

Hopefully I'm almost there - I know that fpse are installed (2002) but not
sure about win sharepoint - should I install that and where do I find that?

thanks
Pam

Kathleen Anderson said:
Hi Pam:
Here's a (very) long thread that may help:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index...&showtopic=81195&pid=454874&st=0&#entry454874

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

well, that wasn't it - I removed ZA rebooted, tried to open localhost
in fp .. same error - however, now I can't get za loaded again - it
says that setup is unable to log into the truevector service. Install
cannot continue without logging into the TrueVEctor service. Please use
the service manager to shut down the True Vector service and then
restart the installer program.

huh? what is truevector service, what is service manager? can you help
?

thanks
Pam

wrote in message Hi Pam:
[...]

I'm glad you're still here and haven't given up :)

First, don't install SharePoint - the FPSE 2002 is what you want.

In FrontPage, open http://localhost/ , create a new folder, and then right
click on that folder and choose Convert to Web. Does it let you do that? If
so, try a View > Refresh - does it let you do that?

--

Pam said:
thanks Kathleen - that took care of getting rid of all the files for
ZA - and I've got it back working - preciate that!

still have the same problems with fp though - guess I'll give up on it
and just work from My Webs - if you come up with another solution,
please post it - I'll keep looking

thanks
Pam

message Hi Pam:

wrote in message
[...]

Ok, I opened Frontpage and clicked on Open then Network places then
localhost, then clicked on the icon to make a new folder - a box popped up
that said New Folder - in that popup box it said:

Current Folder:
http://localhost/

Name - so I typed in a name
Folder Contains: Documents or I could choose Web (I tried both)

I left it on documents - and it said I don't have permission to access this
web folder location.

so I clicked on Web and then it went to a Create a Network Place wizard -
and it said unable to create folder please enter a different name - tried
various names no luck

can you help me still?

thanks SO MUCH Kathleen! I really appreciate this!

Pam

Kathleen Anderson said:
I'm glad it worked - it was a very long thread - I'm glad you had the
patience for it :)

What happens when you try and open a local server based web as
http://yourmachinename/ ?

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

thanks Kathleen - that took care of getting rid of all the files for
ZA - and I've got it back working - preciate that!

still have the same problems with fp though - guess I'll give up on it
and just work from My Webs - if you come up with another solution,
please post it - I'll keep looking

thanks
Pam

in message Hi Pam: