standby problem

C

claude

Hello!

I`m using Windows XP home and I have notice a problem with the Standby
function.

If I click on Standby button when I turn off the computer , the computer
goes in stanbby mode for a few seconds then restart by himself again.

The same problem happen if I set the option Standby in the Power management
tab.The computer stays in standby mode for about 5 seconds then restart!

What`s the problem?

Thanks

Claude

M

Maureen Goldman

claude said:
I`m using Windows XP home and I have notice a problem with the Standby
function.

If I click on Standby button when I turn off the computer , the computer
goes in stanbby mode for a few seconds then restart by himself again.

The same problem happen if I set the option Standby in the Power management
tab.The computer stays in standby mode for about 5 seconds then restart!

What`s the problem?

A couple of possibilities. The mouse will "awaken" from any vibrations
if left on a hard surface... like someone standing up from the desk. I
keep mine on a piece of foam and go into standby via the keyboard.

After one windows update, I found that the PC would go into standby,
click off and immediately whir back up. (No vibrations, heck, I didn't
move while determining this wasn't the same situation.) The solution
was to reinstall my video drivers, then reboot. Worked like a charm.
Power management and video drivers are closely connected, and it seems
as though those particular drivers get corrupted fairly easily. The
reboot is required, BTW. Tried it first without rebooting, no change.

C

claude

hi Maureen!

thanks! I have tried it, reinstalled my video drivers but no succes!
When I put the computer in standby mode, it last no more than 5 seconds then
restart!

Claude

|
| >I`m using Windows XP home and I have notice a problem with the Standby
| >function.
| >
| >If I click on Standby button when I turn off the computer , the computer
| >goes in stanbby mode for a few seconds then restart by himself again.
| >
| >The same problem happen if I set the option Standby in the Power
management
| >tab.The computer stays in standby mode for about 5 seconds then restart!
| >
| >What`s the problem?
|
| A couple of possibilities. The mouse will "awaken" from any vibrations
| if left on a hard surface... like someone standing up from the desk. I
| keep mine on a piece of foam and go into standby via the keyboard.
|
| After one windows update, I found that the PC would go into standby,
| click off and immediately whir back up. (No vibrations, heck, I didn't
| move while determining this wasn't the same situation.) The solution
| was to reinstall my video drivers, then reboot. Worked like a charm.
| Power management and video drivers are closely connected, and it seems
| as though those particular drivers get corrupted fairly easily. The
| reboot is required, BTW. Tried it first without rebooting, no change.
|
|

Reaction score
click on Standby.. standby for a few seconds.. restart by himself

Thread started with "Hello! I`m using Windows XP home and I have notice a problem with the Standby
function."

It seems somethings never change in, what will probably be seen as, the dark ages of personal computing... for 4 years later I have exactly the same problem. My computer appears to read the CD-ROM in the few seconds and then restarts by 'himself' with two 'clonks' (error message sounds) at start up screen.

My bios startup order is CD-rom, hdd, 1.44; when the floppy preceded hdd then it too would read. Setting bios startup as HDD, CD-rom, 1.44 hasn't worked in the past.

System: XP home, Asus 5PL-VM1394 mb, Intel duo E4500 2.2ghz, Pioneer 212D, Panasonic 1.44, Seagate 160gb SataII, Viewsonic VA1912w monitor, 2x1gb Kingston 667 Ram, XFX 7300LE VideoCard (NVidia support).

johnstreet

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try to o basic first steps as on the images. They are:

nero_prblm004.jpg

nero_prblm005.jpg

nero_prblm006.jpg

After you are check out this manual properties you should go to the gpedit.msc, just type in to the run in the start menu and check out there with to enable or disable. If there is nothing go to the Local Security Policy and look up there also for the changes.

Excuse me that I am do not gave to you an automatic fix for that type of problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for trying. I appled the three steps above. Both manually (Press power button = hibernate) and Hibernate on 3 minute timout ie. two tests... one a timeout of 3 minutes with no other option and 2. no timeout but for pressing the power button.

Result the computer went through all the correct motions, "Preparing for Hibernation" then saves information and you see it recording on screen then everything falls silent ie it works.... then after stopping for 2 seconds it starts up again just like if you had pushed the button... exactly the same as with Standby...

Two months ago my computer would NOT TURN OFF, it would start up when you pressed the power button. I had to turn it off at the wall socket and then reset the date and time in the bios everytime I restarted the computer. It was a real hassle. Took it to the shop and it turned off. Back at home it did turn off for a while then it started again, and printer and dsl cable unplugged no help.

Then one day after MS Updates (81 of them) the computer would turn off, I was so happy because I the computer shop is a discounter and they don't have the time to fix technical problems like this. Now I'm so happy it turns off that I don't care about Standby anymore, I can still get the harddirve and monitor to timeout otherwise it looked like big problem with the shop ...

I READ AN EXPERT USER SAY THAT HE HAD A COMPUTER THAT WOULD NOT STANDBY AND YOU HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT SOMETIMES ... and sometimes that's just the way it is - often due to video/monitor files waking the computer up AND HAVE TO WAIT FOR DRIVER UPDATES FOR MONITOR hdd fdd. I must have something like that here....

Reaction score
I have a similar problem..

My standby does not work properly...

When I press the stand by button, it doesn't fully stand by...
it only turns off the screen and USB devices (still can hear computer).

Reaction score
I found my Keyboard & Mouse was preventing standby !! There are settings in XP which "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" at :

Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware > Properties > Power Management
or
Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Keyboards (expand) > HID Keyboard Device (right click) > Properties > Power Management {repeat for mouse}.

I have a wireless Microsoft Desktop 700 - being a MS I was very surprised it didn't come with instructions that default installation would stop standby. There are similar settings for Ethernet card (card use to connect to internet) and some other devices - including BIOS but don't mess with BIOS too quick.

Reaction score
Yeh, when my machine wouldn't even shut down I was boggled - then after big batch of updates it fixed itself - but can't guarrantee that was the solution. Then the standby was being triggered by kb/mouse .... crazy as it sounds but I'd wait to see if it 'goes away' - while you locate if a device is set to 'wake up' your machine.... there is a method of excluding devices pre-startup thereby isolating source of problem... simplest being unplugging printer - my problem was i had to keep kb connected no matter what I did (dig?). If you didn't frig with settings beforehand then chance a 'real' hardware error has developed.

Reaction score
Smart idea

johnstreet65 said:
Yeh, when my machine wouldn't even shut down I was boggled - then after big batch of updates it fixed itself - but can't guarrantee that was the solution. Then the standby was being triggered by kb/mouse .... crazy as it sounds but I'd wait to see if it 'goes away' - while you locate if a device is set to 'wake up' your machine.... there is a method of excluding devices pre-startup thereby isolating source of problem... simplest being unplugging printer - my problem was i had to keep kb connected no matter what I did (dig?). If you didn't frig with settings beforehand then chance a 'real' hardware error has developed.

Hmm.. good idea, maybe I should download plently of updates from microsoft lets hope for the best.

Reaction score
Good News!!

I have figured out how to fix ANY standby problem on ANY computer!

Go to power options and change your multimedia settings to allow system standby even if multimedia devices are running, no faults either way!

Kind regards,
donman92

Ask a Question