Stand by problem

Reaction score
Hi guys,when i want to leave my pc for a while and put it in stand by sometimes it works and some times it turns its self back on after maybe 2 minutes or 2 hours? there doesnt seem to be a pattern.I have done the obvious and had the cover off and given it a good clean out and also checked every conection i can see.The pc is conected to the mains via a surge protector.info if it helps...xp pro..512mb ddr ram..80gb hd..pentium 4 1.80ghz.I am in the market for new machine soon but would like to sort this just cant live with niggley little problems.Just thought when i put it in hibernate there is no problem at all just a longer start up when i turn it on.Any advice is greatfully recieved.Thank you.

Reaction score
the possiblilties are endless.

Have you got wake on LAN enabled in the BIOS?

Have you got any task scheduled, AV update, defrag etc?

J

Reaction score
Hi Techy, dont even know what that is but a friend who knows a lot more than me about computers put a new bios on my system last year when he upgraded me from xp to xp pro.This is the bios details, AwardBIOS Part Number: 6A6IXE14
Manufacturer: ECS
Core Chipset: Sis 650
Super I/O:
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Supported Motherboards: L4S5MG

Copyright (c) 2002, Award Software International, Inc. www.award.com
Copyright (c) 2002, eSupport.com, Inc. www.eSupport.com
The only things set for auto update are my norton anti virus and windows update.I thought this may have a simple solution if its going to be a trauma i'll live with it i dont want to waste any bodys time with a minor probem.Many thanks.

Reaction score
GO into your system tools and create a restore point. Check your add/remove programs files. Look for a program called Adobe Text manager. NOT ADOBE ACROBAT ... Adobe "Text Manager". Uninstall it. Restart the pc, and try sand by. If it solves problem great. If not , run system recovery to get back program.

Reaction score
Another thing to try is to disable your computer waking up when the mouse or keyboars is moved/pressed

Ask a Question