Ssshhh! Don't say 'rabbit'!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I just came across this article on BBC News - Portland is close to where I used to live, and it seems that some old traditions never die... :D

Are there any funny local superstitions or traditions where you live?

:D

Reaction score
When leaving your house always shut the door using your right hand never the left, hence "right to return left to leave you’ll always return to turn the key" :cool:

Reaction score
Make sure if you have furry dice in your car that each dice's numbers face the same way.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Local superstitions or customs?

Um, nope, not that I know of....

Except maybe if you venture out after dark go armed.....

Now where's that wascally wabbit? :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Alien Customs

Well one local 'custom' my fella finds hard to get used to is the traditional Christmas BBQ & beer. He reckons there's something totally unnatural about spending Christmas day at the beach for some reason (can't seem to get the in-text smilies to work so I'll just *looks puzzled* instead) And having a Pavlova rather than an Xmas cake *shrugs* seems weird to him, but an Xmas cake is a bit heavy in all that heat. He sez next winter he's going to put the Xmas tree up out on the lawn when it snows so we can see what a real Christmas looks like.

Also I suppose there is the Maori tradition of "Tapu" Which means something like holy, & sort of like sacred & sometimes like 'forbidden' But not the same as any of them. It can apply to a place, an object or an action. Foe example, the Haka is Tapu & most Hakas may not be performed by women but in a wonderful stroke of irony the Haka performed by the NZ Rugby team 'The All B'acks' to demonstrate just how much testosterone they possess, Is one of the few Hakas that can be performed by women.

Ask a Question