Spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows

art

I was working on my Gateway computer when it suddenly
restarted itself.

I have 3 printers in the network, but only one on this
computer, a Brother HL1440 that I installed about a week
ago.

When I tried to print I got this error message and when I
went to the printers panel there were no printers.

I read the article 312052, restarted the spooler, went to
try to delete the printers, but it gave the same error
message and "Printer connection cannot be removed. The
print subsystem is unavailable."

It seems as though the print spooler stops as soon as I o
into the printers panel and then I have to go restart it.
I didn't even get past this step.

Can anyone help? I also didn't understand how to export
keys and the rest of the instructions in article 312052.

But first I have to get past this step. Help, anyone?
Could this be a virus?

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "art" <[email protected]>
Subject: Spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 15:43:25 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

--

The article states to remove the printer from the Printers folder if you can. Since we are not able to do this we will need to
complete the rest of the articles instructions to remove the printers through the registry. Below are steps for doing the

If this is Windows 2000 run Regedit.exe, navigate to the registry key indicated by the article, click that key so it is
highlighted, click the Registry menu on the menu bar and then select "Explort registry file" from the Registry menu.

If it is Windows XP run Regedit.exe, navigate to the registry key indicated by the article, click that key so it is highlighted,
click the File menue on the menu bar and then select "Explort" from the File menu.

Once we have the keys exported the rest of the steps in the article deal with deleting sub-keys under the exported keys.
To delete a key simply highlight it and then select Delete from the Edit menu.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

[...]

I tried the solution you gave me, Bill, but when I tried
to delete the printers on CURRENTCONTROLSET, I was given
an error message saying "could not delete printer: error
deleting key"
What can I do now?

Thanks,

Art
Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

confers no rights. Use of included script samples are
subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all
newsgroup/thread

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "ART" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
I tried the solution you gave me, Bill, but when I tried
to delete the printers on CURRENTCONTROLSET, I was given
an error message saying "could not delete printer: error
deleting key"
What can I do now?

Thanks,

Art
--

Art,

Exactly which key did you try to delete? Does the account you are logged in with have Administrator rights?

[...]

Bill,

I did step #8 of Article 312052, where it tells you to
delete any items listed under two keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\
Printers (this is the one that WOULD NOT delete the items)
and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\
Printers (this one let me delete the printers with no
problem)....Yes, I am logged in with Administrator Rights,
but the message it gives me is: "Could not delete Brother
HL1440; Error deleting key"

Thanks,

Art

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "art" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:43:19 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Bill,

I did step #8 of Article 312052, where it tells you to
delete any items listed under two keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\
Printers (this is the one that WOULD NOT delete the items)
and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\
Printers (this one let me delete the printers with no
problem)....Yes, I am logged in with Administrator Rights,
but the message it gives me is: "Could not delete Brother
HL1440; Error deleting key"

Thanks,

Art
--

Art,

Run Regedt32.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers. With Printers
highlighted go to Permissions from the Security menu and make sure you have Full Control to this key. By Default the
Administrators group should have Full Control but it is possible that this has been changed on your system. Also, check
the permissions on the Brother HL1440 sub-key.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Alex

Hey,
To delete a key that is giving you the "error deleting key" message or
"error opening key" you have to go to every sub folder within the main
key and
set the permissions so you can delete. select your user account from
the menu and select full control