Speedtouch ST330 Modem nods off to sleep....zzzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wireless. Hmm. This is the BBC Home Serice presenting two way family favourites, smell of roast lamb, mint sauce & gravy.... oops, sorry, reminiscing.

Here's the wireless router/modem I'm using >> El Linko but it's been discontinued now. It looks as if it's still available though but this is it's successor >> New fangled gadget just to give you an idea of the price.

When choosing a laptop then, it's obviously desirable to have one that is wireless enabled. Fortunately, most of them are. If not, you'll need an extrernal wireless card gizmo, cost about 15 quid.

If you're just looking for a cheap quick solution for your current setup, go for the refurbished Thomson modem/router, probably works out at about 15 quid with postage.

Reaction score
Hello! Remember me? :)

Well, we're still bobbing along with our 'antique' Speedtouch 330 modem thingy but recently our ISP speed has dribbled down to 2.5-ish Mbps.

Enoughs enough. It's gotta go! It's served us well but as you've all said in the past it's possibly the weakest link. Floppy gave me a modern whizz bang ADSL micro filter to check/see if any of our filter thingumns were at fault but nope, they seem to be OK. I've ordered a BT 'i-plate' for the grand sum of £5 so we can filter out the bell-end (oops I mean ring) cct which some folk say helps (a bit) to boost the speed up a little.

Now then. Get ready for this.... I'm intending on buying a basic Laptop ooooooooooooo :) and seeing as Mrs The Bass has a Macbook that her work has given her I'm thinking of investing a few pennies in a modern modem and router thingumns that does Wirelessnessness.

But!

I want to be able to still use our hard wired PC still on the webblynets. Is that do-able with an off the shelf device?

So to sum up,can you tech-kidz point me to a router modem with wirelessnessness thingy that I can run 2 laptops (one a Mac and one a PC) AND a big old rumble bumble home PC off?

Does that make sense?

I'm rubbish at computers, ask Tony/FBS.

Thankee kind Sirs :)

DTB

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hello you old poof :)

Most name makes of router will suit you, all you have to do is determine whether your ISP supplies your service via cable or ADSL then choose router to suit.

Most, if not all, wireless routers come with four ethernet sockets to enable four hard-wired computers/devices to be connected. Also go for a combined router/modem.

I'm currently using a Linksys ADSL modem/router Now discontinued and it's been fine for 2 years or so. Netgear are also good and seem to be the favoured make on this here mighty forum organ. D-Link are also good.

If you have ADSLThis will do.

For cable Some choices here.

I will mention that the last Netgear router/modem I had crapped out on me after 18 months but lots of people favour them, just bad luck for me I suppose.

And now I'm going to Peckham.

Reaction score
Ta smelly bum:)

We've got not cable here in our road, it's all done with twin wire BT phone lines :(

I'll purchase a NetGear DG834G and be done with it.

Thanks again for the help Tone.

X

DTB

Reaction score
Well.............

FWIW, just fitting the 'i-plate' has bumped the connection speed up to between 4.3 and 3.6Mbps from 2.7Mbps-ish.

The NetGear awupbupaloobupawupbamboom is at the local post office. I'll go and get it tomorrow.

Onwards! ... into the digital world.

DTB

Ask a Question