SpeedTouch modem ??

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I am able to connect to the internet with two different modems and my pc is ok. However I wish to use a Speed Touch modem . I can not get it top work.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot-SpeedTouch - System Configuration - Mozilla Firefox.png
    Screenshot-SpeedTouch - System Configuration - Mozilla Firefox.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 934
  • Screenshot-SpeedTouch - SpeedTouch - Mozilla Firefox.png
    Screenshot-SpeedTouch - SpeedTouch - Mozilla Firefox.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 615
  • Screenshot-SpeedTouch - Home - Mozilla Firefox.png
    Screenshot-SpeedTouch - Home - Mozilla Firefox.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 749
  • Screenshot-SpeedTouch - DSL Connection - Mozilla Firefox.png
    Screenshot-SpeedTouch - DSL Connection - Mozilla Firefox.png
    74 KB · Views: 581
  • Screenshot-SpeedTouch - Connectivity Check - Mozilla Firefox.png
    Screenshot-SpeedTouch - Connectivity Check - Mozilla Firefox.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 587
  • Screenshot-Authentication Required.png
    Screenshot-Authentication Required.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you get any error messages, or is the Speed Touch just not detected?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sorry about the size of the screenshots and the editing. I am using my Ubuntu box and can not find out how to resize the pics also I am having trouble with my internet connection.

See the last pic.

When I try to put in my AOL details or " admin/admin" or anything at all the box keeps on reapearing.

I belive that I have reset the modem to factory defaults by pressing the reset button and also by way of the softwaer.

wallbash.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
He's using Linux ...

It will work ... or it ... don't work

Time to get the spanners & screwdrivers out, need to rebuild the planet. :thumb:

Oh, it'll be simple for a Linux user. :lol:

oops, I'm off ... :wave:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
He's using Linux ...

It will work ... or it ... don't work

Time to get the spanners & screwdrivers out, need to rebuild the planet. :thumb:

Oh, it'll be simple for a Linux user. :lol:

oops, I'm off ... :wave:

There is nothing wrong with the Linux system. It has picked up and let me use three different modems, just plug and play. It is only the Speed Touch I am having some difficulty with.

The internet problem is with AOL who it seems have been taken over by Car Phone Warehouse. If I ever manage to calm down I will post about their utterly disgraceful support. AOL were no problem CPW however are utter sh***.

I did laugh at your reply though. At least it made me smile. :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Re: username & password: the defaults usually are admin/admin (Admin/Admin)... do you have a RTFM handy?

This is wired, right?

What happens when you press the "Connect" button?

Have you tried rebooting the puter?

Ubuntu... Hardy or Edgy?

Yeah I know... questions, questions... :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Edubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008.

I'm using wires.

Had problems with AOL/CarPhoneWarehouse and they sent me a new SpeedTouch 585v6sl modem/router which seems to have solved my connection problems.

Still want to get the ST 716v5 working as I like to have a back up modem on hand. All the information I have is included in the pictures. I'll try and see if it works now my connection is better.

I did try admin/admin but no joy.

I'll give it another go.

user.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Edubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy Heron - released in April 2008.
System -> Admin -> Network.

Is the wired connection in "Roaming Mode"?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi Urmas I tried again but no joy. It looks as though the last user of this modem has put in their own username or password. I'll contact the seller and see if this is the case.

So ta fer yer help.

happywave.gif

Me ISP has changed something somewhere but will not give me any technical details. My BT 220V and BT 205 modems worked just fine till 10 days ago then sudenly I had constant interupts to accessing the web. The new ST585 works ok but my two old modems do not. it is not really good enough as I have invested in those routers and I know they work but can not get them set up to work with the new setings that my ISP has made. I do not understand why they can not supply me with the tech info I need to set up the routers.

user.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Urmas said:
System -> Admin -> Network.

Is the wired connection in "Roaming Mode"?

I have changed nothing . It is set to " automatic configuration (DHCP) " This works as I am using my linux box with the ST 585 right now. The problem is as detailed above I recon.

:)

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Hi Urmas I tried again but no joy. It looks as though the last user of this modem has put in their own username or password. I'll contact the seller and see if this is the case.

Have you tried doing a hard reset on the modem...This should clear everything back to factory settings, including passwords..

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
It looks as though the last user of this modem has put in their own username or password.
That would've been the next question... seeing the "red flag" associated to PPP. Is your connection using PPPoE or what?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Have you tried doing a hard reset on the modem...This should clear everything back to factory settings, including passwords..

I'm almost sure that I did that but I'll try again. do I do that while the modem is powered up or when it is switched of ?

user.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Urmas said:
That would've been the next question... seeing the "red flag" associated to PPP. Is your connection using PPPoE or what?

I'm climbing the learning curve rapidly. I know what you are talking about.

I did a bit more digging and looks like the router is set to use PPPOE and I need PPOA but still can not get past the authorisation box.

I'll try MadX'S hard reset suggestion.

Back in a mo.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Turn the power off. Look at the back of the modem and you will see a Reset or Defaults hole. Get a ball-point pen and press the button in the hole while turning the modem on. Continue to hold the button in until ALL of the lights on the modem start to flash simultaneously.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yep it looks like I have reset the modem. See the pics. It has been reset to factory defaults.

Only thing I can think of is it set to european time and the home page is set in french. Mebees they use a different username and password ie it is in french or something. As admin/admin or Admin/Admin do not work.

user.gif

Ask a Question