Speech Recognition

Wendy

Mark Conrad said...
Actually thousands. <g> Not to worry, I have heard that UK
teachers have flawless memories.

I guess the strategy is you have to learn and take in the commands for this
software to become more efficient at it. I do not know about my memory being
flawless but I will give it a go nevertheless.
You might keep in the back of your mind that Dragon,
at the present time, has an upgrade sale going, until
only June 30, 2009.

$300 (US) gets you an upgrade to the $900 "Pro"
version of Dragon 10.1

That is a saving of $400 (USA)

That is a lot of money for me. I should at least learn what I have at the
moment do you not agree before I move on to updating it?
Not really all that difficult for you. Try speaking the
16 words "Now is the time..." etc in under 3 seconds.

That is 320 wpm.

I shall give it a bash at and let you know how I got on!
My two dollar tutu is too tight to wear,
my other tutu was 2.2

Why? Because I trained it that way. (in Dragon)

May I ask how you as you say, "train it" to make it do what you have done
above?
Don't allow this junk to overwhelm you, just delve into it
a bit at a time, when you are in the mood. :)

That is what I am doing at the moment. Fascinating stuff and a great
program by the way you portray it. Thank you for the advice.

Wendy

Gene E. Bloch

Thanks, speech recognition apps are kind of rough
for new users, hope she does not get overwhelmed.

Well, both of the Windows speech apps are good for that sort of
thing, both the free Vista speech app that is part of Vista, and
the $200 commercial "Dragon Preferred" app that Wendy has.

The free Vista speech app is simplier for newbies to learn,
but that simplicity comes comes with a hidden drawback.

Dragon is much more "mature" and flexible, particularly if
your friend becomes interested in speech recognition after his
hands heal up.

1. He has used Dragon for years. He loves it. Also, he's very smart and
techie, so he has no trouble with new versions.

2. His hands aren't going to heal up enough to obviate the need for speech
recognition. Luckily, he's able to use his hands for most purposes, but a
significant amount of typing isn't among the possibilities. He just
soldiers on, talking about how good Dragon is, rather than complaining
about having to use it.

John Barnett MVP

"Come, join the evil empire" and all the time your real self was
saying no, I want Linux...

Actually Charlie I was referring to the last sentence in your post.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

Wendy

Mark said:
Whoops, I better add that the "sentence" above is only
for demonstration purposes, the sentence itself does not
make any sense.

The technique should only be used when normal correction
methods do not work for you, Wendy.

Like most good things that look too good to be true, this
High Powered correction technique has its drawbacks.

For example, that list of the the go up 12 words, "to two 2 tutu too 22"

Let's say you now need a slightly different order of the
same "words", such as "tutu 22 too two to 2".
Will not work, Dragon will slavishly print the first list
that you trained it on.

I sort of get what you're saying Mark but being a beginner should I not
think of something that will be useful to me similar to your comparison and
then put that into my Dragon vocabulary?

Like you say, your comparison does not make any sense and I would not
probably use it in normal dictation but I understand the point you are
making so I should think of something that I will most likely use then train
it for that purpose? As you say, I do not want Dragon to be confused :) I
would want it to be the best it can and mean something that I would most
probably use and therefore a useful piece of vocabulary within Dragon.

I will think of something and try it and report back, in the meantime,
perhaps you could think of a similar comparison with words that will
probably be used in dictation?

Now then, here the homework begins! I have to think of some words that I
will probably use! I see what you mean, delving into this seems to be a
bottomless pit. What have I let myself in for? :))

Wendy

Wendy

www.MyMSSpeech.com said:
message news:39E93C33->[email protected]...
It is probably very helpful if you do two things with Dragon Naturally
Speaking. First of all, go to Tools, Accuracy Center, and feed several of
your typical documents from the add documents feature. Next, try reading
those documents while and unseating carefully and speaking in phrases.
You
should get very high accuracy. Also, the practice will acclimate you to
how
the Dragon wants to be heard.

Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.

Oh hi Marty, thanks for the tips.

I am still battling with windows speech recognition as well and the WSR tool
kit looks like a handy thing to have so I am keeping all my options open at
the moment.

Wendy

Gene E. Bloch

Well, I do not know what grade you teach in your job, so I will
pretend I am you, and am teaching a bunch of graduate students
about Einstein's problem understanding another genius of his
era, a scientist named Paul Dirack, the man who predicted
the existence of anti-matter.

Okay, "Dirack" is a tough name for Dragon to handle, and I know
that I will be constantly using that name while I am preparing
my next-day lessons for my graduate students, using my
handy-dandy Dragon speech app to prepare my lesson.

I dictate "Paul Dirack" just for kicks, to see what Dragon
will print. Dragon prints "pole direct". Bad Dragon !!!

Bad Mark !!!

The man's name was Paul Dirac.

Usually given as P. A. M. Dirac.

So of course Dragon should have at least given "pole direc" as its first
guess :)

Gene E. Bloch

You are correct, seems I had a senile attack!

Dirac had a heck of a time convincing his peers that there
might be such a thing as anti-matter, back in those days.

Mark-

Physics has gotten weird, this last 100 years or so :)

I admit to problems with string theory and dark matter. I kind of like
neutrinos a lot, though :)