Speech recognition and non-MS programs?

I suffer from severe RSI and used Dragon Naturally Speaking in Windows XP,
which had no trouble allowing me to dictate into any program you could type
into (including various TeX editors). I'm impressed with Vista's speech
recognition, but it won't dictate into non-Microsoft programs, which I'm
afraid renders it completely useless for me. Does anyone know if it is
possible to make Vista's speech recognition dictate into arbitrary programs?

Thanks

Ross M. Greenberg

I had issues even with Microsoft programs: Vista Speech Recognition would
not function with Microsoft Messenger at all. Dragon Naturally Speaking has
a free Vista update on their http://www.nuance.com website, and I find this
program to be superior to what Vista has to offer in just about every way!

Ross
(via Dragon Naturally Speaking)

Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't realise there was a free update for
Vista - that's really helpful, thank you.

Dave Wood [MS]

Just to be clear, there's nothing in Vista Speech Recognition that limits it
to working with only Microsoft programs. However, to get the full support
applications do need to support technologies like Text Services Framework
{ http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms629032.aspx } in their input
boxes. Some applications do, and some, er, don't.

Rob's blog has some more info on this and possible workarounds:
http://blogs.msdn.com/robch/archive...ecognition-in-vista-dictation-everywhere.aspx

Dave

Ross M. Greenberg

Dave Wood said:
Just to be clear, there's nothing in Vista Speech Recognition that limits
it to working with only Microsoft programs. However, to get the full
support applications do need to support technologies like Text Services
Framework { http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms629032.aspx } in
their input boxes. Some applications do, and some, er, don't.

Rob's blog has some more info on this and possible workarounds:
http://blogs.msdn.com/robch/archive...ecognition-in-vista-dictation-everywhere.aspx

Dave

"Reluctantly Speaking" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

You'd think Microsoft Messenger would be supported by Vista VR. I don't
know, maybe it is now -- there have been a bunch of Messenger updates of
late. But I haven't checked: DNS works well under Vista....

I apologise for not being very clear in my original post. I was trying to
think of a simple way of summing up which programmes worked and which
programmes did not work with dictation in Windows, and non-MS programmes
seemed like the easiest way. If it is not outside the scope of this forum,
can I ask why Dragon NaturallySpeaking finds it so easy to enter text
anywhere and why a similar feature has not been included with Windows speech
recognition?