SP2 disappearing "Digital Signatures" tab

Robin Walker

Under XP SP2 (final), in Explorer, it seems to be possible to right-click a
file, select Properties, and see the "Digital Signatures" tab for a while,
and then to come back to the same file a while later, do the same, and find
that the "Digital Signatures" tab is missing. It seems to affect files one
by one: some exhibit the loss of the tab while others still retain it. The
files are themselves unchanged, and retain the digital signature internally,
but Explorer does not display it to the user in the Properties panel.

Once a file has lost the "Digital Signatures" tab, it seems to stay lost
until a logout/login again, or a system restart.

I have been unable to discover a guaranteed method of reproducing this
problem, although other users have reported the same difficulty with
disappearing "Digital Signatures" tabs. It might be coincidence, but it
seems to affect mainly very large files, such as the SP2 updater itself.
These large files can fail to display the "Digital Signatures" tab, while
other, smaller, older files in the same directory can still display it.

Is there a fix or workaround for this?

Feng Mao

Hi Robin,

Thank you for posting and the interests on the "Digital Signatures" tab.

Based on my knowledge, most of files are not signed and it should not have
the Digital Signautre and should not have Digital Signatures tab. Some
system files, driver files and other key files are protected by Windows.
These files cannot be easily updated. To update these files, it must be
tested and signed. There will be a .cat (Security Catalog) file to list
which files will be updated. To protect this .cat file, it is digital
signed and has digital signature.

So, Robin, you can search *.Cat file in your \Windows folder and its
subfolders. You must find lots of .cat files. Right click the file, you
will see the Digital Signatures tab.

I hope that I have explained clearly.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Robin Walker" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
| Subject: SP2 disappearing "Digital Signatures" tab
| Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:10:15 +0100
|
| Under XP SP2 (final), in Explorer, it seems to be possible to right-click
| file, select Properties, and see the "Digital Signatures" tab for a
while,
| and then to come back to the same file a while later, do the same, and
find
| that the "Digital Signatures" tab is missing. It seems to affect files
one
| by one: some exhibit the loss of the tab while others still retain it.
The
| files are themselves unchanged, and retain the digital signature
internally,
| but Explorer does not display it to the user in the Properties panel.
|
| Once a file has lost the "Digital Signatures" tab, it seems to stay lost
| until a logout/login again, or a system restart.
|
| I have been unable to discover a guaranteed method of reproducing this
| problem, although other users have reported the same difficulty with
| disappearing "Digital Signatures" tabs. It might be coincidence, but it
| seems to affect mainly very large files, such as the SP2 updater itself.
| These large files can fail to display the "Digital Signatures" tab, while
| other, smaller, older files in the same directory can still display it.
|
| Is there a fix or workaround for this?
|
| --
| Robin Walker
| (e-mail address removed)

Robin Walker

Based on my knowledge, most of files are not signed and it should not have
the Digital Signautre and should not have Digital Signatures tab.

Feng,

You have entirely misunderstood my report. Please read it again, bearing in
mind that I am specifically referring to files that are known to have have
valid Digital Signatures. I am reporting a problem with Windows Explorer in
SP2, not a problem with files not having Digital Signatures.

Furthermore, by configuring Windows to open folders in separate processes,
so that there are multiple concurrent "explorer.exe" processes, I have been
able to demonstrate missing "Digital Signature" tabs in one instance of
explorer.exe whilst another instance gets the "Digital Signature" tab
correctly, when both instances are viewing the Properties of the same file,
which is known to have a Digital Signature.

So this must be a problem in Windows explorer.exe.

Feng Mao

Hi Robin,

Thank you a lot for posting back and the clarification. I am sorry that I
have misunderstood your meaning.

The below are my steps to reproduce the problem. If there is anything
wrong, please correct me.

1. I have a clean installed Windows XP with Service Pack 2 computer. This
is the one I boot from the Windows XP SP 2 Setup CD and install the Windows
from scratch.

2. After the installation, click Start, point to My Computer

3. Click Tools -> Folder Option from the menu

4. In View tab, mark the option "Launch folder windows in a separate
process", then click OK button

5. Open Windows Explorer, and open another My Computer. I can see two
explorer.exe in Task Manager

6. In either Explorer window, navigate to C:\Windows, right click
explorer.exe and view its Properties. I can only see General, Version,
Compatibility, Security and Summary tabs. I cannot see the "Digital
Signatures" tab at more. I tried to view the Properties of explorer.exe in
other Explorer window with the same result.

Robin, once again, thank you a lot for helping us to find out the bug in
Windows XP Service Pack 2. I cannot reproduce your scenario based on the
above steps. Please help me to point it out if there is anything wrong in
my steps.

Have a great day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Robin Walker" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
| Subject: Re: SP2 disappearing "Digital Signatures" tab
| Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:02:07 +0100

| |
| > Based on my knowledge, most of files are not signed and it should not
have
| > the Digital Signautre and should not have Digital Signatures tab.
|
| Feng,
|
| You have entirely misunderstood my report. Please read it again, bearing
in
| mind that I am specifically referring to files that are known to have
have
| valid Digital Signatures. I am reporting a problem with Windows Explorer
in
| SP2, not a problem with files not having Digital Signatures.
|
| Furthermore, by configuring Windows to open folders in separate
processes,
| so that there are multiple concurrent "explorer.exe" processes, I have
been
| able to demonstrate missing "Digital Signature" tabs in one instance of
| explorer.exe whilst another instance gets the "Digital Signature" tab
| correctly, when both instances are viewing the Properties of the same
file,
| which is known to have a Digital Signature.
|
| So this must be a problem in Windows explorer.exe.
|
| > | Under XP SP2 (final), in Explorer, it seems to be possible to
| > right-click
| > | a file, select Properties, and see the "Digital Signatures" tab for a
| > | while, and then to come back to the same file a while later, do the
| > same,
| > | and find that the "Digital Signatures" tab is missing.
| > | It seems to affect files one by one: some exhibit the loss of the tab
| > | while others still retain it.
| > | The files are themselves unchanged, and retain the digital signature
| > | internally, but Explorer does not display it to the user in the
| > | Properties panel.
| > |
| > | Once a file has lost the "Digital Signatures" tab, it seems to stay
lost
| > | until a logout/login again, or a system restart.
| > |
| > | I have been unable to discover a guaranteed method of reproducing this
| > | problem, although other users have reported the same difficulty with
| > | disappearing "Digital Signatures" tabs. It might be coincidence, but
it
| > | seems to affect mainly very large files, such as the SP2 updater
itself.
| > | These large files can fail to display the "Digital Signatures" tab,
| > while
| > | other, smaller, older files in the same directory can still display
it.

| --
| Robin Walker
| (e-mail address removed)

Robin Walker

Feng Mao said:
[...]

Feng, step 6 is wrong. You need to look at the Properties of a file that is
known to contain a Digital Signature. You will not find any files with a
Digital Signature in a clean installation of Windows.

An example of a file with a Digital Signature is the SP2 updater (266 MB)
downloaded from Microsoft Download Center.

Feng Mao

Hi Robin,

Thank you for pointing out!

Yes, there are six tab for the Properties of XPSP2.exe. They are General,
Version, Compatibility, Digital Signatures, Security and Summary. However,
I can always see Digital Signatures tab. Even if I close it and check the
Properties in another Explorer window. It seems that I still cannot
reproduce the problem...

Robin, may I know if your problem happens in Safe Mode as well? To boot
into Safe Mode, restart the computer and press F8 just before the Windows
XP logo, you will see a text mode based menu. Choose Safe Mode.

Have a good day!