SP2-Auto install corp. environment, how to disable FW

O

Oleg Ivanov

Hi All!

I have a corporate environment with about a 100 desktops (all Windows XP), separated in 3 locations (offices). And I need to deploy SP2 automaticly on all machines trough Group Policy (no SMS yet). But when I install SP2, by default integrated firewall is turned on with too many restrictions. Mayby this is applicable for standalone computer connected to internet, but in corporate networks with 10+ computers, the administrators need to install SP2 manualy, machine by machine and again manualy turn off FW service.

How to deploy SP2 trough Group Policy (Windows 2000 domain with Windows 2000 Std. Server as DCs), and turn OFF local firewall on desktop computers? All environment is behind ISA Servers, and is not necessary all computers to run local FW.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

T

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Oleg said:
Hi All!

I have a corporate environment with about a 100 desktops (all Windows XP), separated in 3 locations (offices). And I need to deploy SP2 automaticly on all machines trough Group Policy (no SMS yet). But when I install SP2, by default integrated firewall is turned on with too many restrictions. Mayby this is applicable for standalone computer connected to internet, but in corporate networks with 10+ computers, the administrators need to install SP2 manualy, machine by machine and again manualy turn off FW service.

How to deploy SP2 trough Group Policy (Windows 2000 domain with Windows 2000 Std. Server as DCs), and turn OFF local firewall on desktop computers? All environment is behind ISA Servers, and is not necessary all computers to run local FW.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg
Hi

You can disable the FW through a Group Policy setting.

WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

Ask a Question