Outlook Sort e-mail by sender's domain - Outlook 2007

Reaction score
I need a way to sort through several GB of old e-mails by sending domain name. I'm sure there must be a script or small app that can do this, but I haven't found one. Please help!

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
You don't say which email system you use.

In Windows based emails it's all all in the Help section.

Here's the important bit -

Organize e‑mail using rules.

Here are answers to some common questions about organizing e‑mail by using rules in Windows Mail.

To create a rule

1. <LI class=step> Click to open Windows Mail.
    <LI class=step>Click the Tools menu, point to Message Rules, and then click Mail.
    <LI class=step>In the New Mail Rule dialog box, under Select the Conditions for your rule, select one or more check boxes to set up the criteria that will be applied to incoming messages.
    If you select multiple conditions, click the and hyperlink in the Rule Description section. In the And/Or dialog box, click Messages match all of the criteria or Messages match any of the criteria, and then click OK.
    <LI class=step>Under Select the Actions for your rule, select one or more check boxes to determine how to handle messages that meet the conditions you selected.
  2. Click the underlined hyperlinks in the Rule Description section to specify the conditions or actions for your rule.
  1. Note
    • You can click the contains people or contains specific words hyperlinks in the Rule Description box to specify the people or words you'd like Windows Mail to look for in messages. If you enter multiple people or multiple words per condition, you can use the Options button in the Select People or Type Specific Words dialog boxes to further customize your rule.
  2. In the Name of the rule box, select the default name, type a new name that describes your rule, and then click OK.

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm using Exchange 2007 & Outlook 2007. Making rules isn't practical in this situation, because I'm looking at 5+ GB of e-mail, from hundredes of senders.

Basically, this is a forensic issue. A high level executive left without warning and I'm trying to make sense of his e-mails. Being able to sort by the sender's domain, ideally by using a new column, would help greatly.

If there were a way to make a rule that automatically put messages from a particular domain into subfolders, created when the search finds a new domain, that would work too.

I'm sure someone has develped a script for this, unfortunately I haven't been able to find one.

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
A script would only be another way to package a rule. If the tools are already there to create a rule, you could use it to sort from specific domains to a specific folder. From there, you could search or sort those into a further breakdown. Outlook handles rules fairly easily.

Sorting via rules would have been simpler and probably take less time than the amount of time to get an answer to your original post.

Ask a Question