So no more arcade for me for a bit...

Reaction score
So I need 50 posts to play in the arcade now? man...

I was working getting the #1 spot on Curveball (currently #2 - *pats self on back*) argh...

So.. umm.. hi!

Reaction score
That's a lot of posts now needed. On a bulletin board such as this you can only realistically expect a handful of users to make 50 posts of any value whatsoever.

Either the site admins are happy for the arcades to become an exclusive club, if so why not reset all the scores too?

OR

the arcarde will get far less use and you may well find a reduction in the quality of posts as arcade nuts post nonsense to reach the 50 mark.

Personally I was beginning to like this site, the 5 posts to play was a good idea and made me delve into the forums which otherwise may have taken me longer to do. This 50 post rule may now put me off completely though as it would only be occasionally that I would post on PC related subjects.

'tis a shame as it was the arcade that brought me (and probably a number of other users) here in the first place - even if only a few of those become regular contributors to the forums then surely the arcade is justified in staying open to all?

With this rule you may lose what is potentially a great viral marketing tool that you have at your exposure namely links from other sites to the games on this one. As a newbie turning up here to play a game someone suggested being confronted with a 50-post rule would send me straight to one of the numerous other free game sites on the web.

/diatribe

;)

Reaction score
Well I can understand that they would want people to be active members of the community. After all, bandwidth isn't exaclty cheap these days. Surprisingly I see very few ads on this site.

But you're right soma, the 50 post limit will most likely result in people spamming the boards just to get there. Just like another hardware site where you get different titles depending on your post count. You should have seen the crap posted there. But it's the webmaster's choice, it's his site after all.

Reaction score
50 posts is too much for me... Right now I'm looking for subjects to make a small post and run mine up cuz this is a great hobby for in-school. :). Oh well... Time to go find more

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Originally posted by soma
That's a lot of posts now needed. On a bulletin board such as this you can only realistically expect a handful of users to make 50 posts of any value whatsoever.

That was one of the main reason I increased the post count up to 50 in this case, as I did not want the quality of posts to suffer (which they were when it was only 5 posts, there were several threads created just to get 5 posts).

I will remove the post limit of 50 as a trial, and see how it goes. The few have been spoiling it for the majority, but as long as there are no non-sense posts created and it stays on topic, I would be happy to keep it open :)

Reaction score
Sounds cool Ian... Would you be able to send a reminder when entering high-score areas to post on the forums so that it doesn't lack and everyone will see that you need posts. Make blank threats and if no one posts, create that block of 5-20 posts or whatever so that you need to post and erase ALL blank posts.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Originally posted by MasterJim_LuNB2
Sounds cool Ian... Would you be able to send a reminder when entering high-score areas to post on the forums so that it doesn't lack and everyone will see that you need posts. Make blank threats and if no one posts, create that block of 5-20 posts or whatever so that you need to post and erase ALL blank posts.

I'm not sure what you mean, but as long as you check the forums out once in a while, or read a couple of articles. We try to run the site with as little advertising as possible, as I dislike it as much as everyone else, all we want is a community of like minded computer enthusiasts :)

Reaction score
LONG LIVE IAN. i hope that the people with the stupi post will stop but if not then there is al ways the banning thing that can happen. but i hope that this will make somepeople thinks happy

Reaction score
Please do not misunderstand us.

50 posts is not a taget or a challenge it is an intended block for people who do not regularly participate in the community.

Spam will not be tolerated, IP bans are already being issued.

To the people who are being respectful of our decision thanks for your understanding, a resolution is being discussed to create a better balance for you.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
yo freeloaders, listen up

we is first and foremost a PC technical forum

the games are cool, glad it brought some of you here

we ain't asking you to post deep s**t about computer workings, but just to be part of PC Review . co . uk

we have an off topic section. You want to post, just ask something you think might interest everybody else, like where'd you spend your holidays, do you have a dog, anything, really, as long as you think it may spark a decent discussion

of course, the day may come when you want help with your computer probs and here is as good a place as any, even if I do say so meself :D

so, peeps, take part, know what I mean?

enjoy the games by all means, all we ask is be part of what is here, join in and post some stuff

more people participate, the more we stay alive

here endeth the sermon

Reaction score
i like how that was said. i think that A.) if you can't get the right talkgoing then why play games. the games are great but they are just like every one said they are for fun but you need to talk to earn the games mostly. well sorry if this is bringing up old things but i have not had the time to update sorry.

Reaction score
Well I am struggling to find useful thing to post. I an genuinly looked about the forum rooms and put useful comments where I can, but in the end have had to resort to remblings like this.

Maybe a better way would be to force people to view at least 10 posts and post one or two times. Otherwise this will end up like the many many other furms that are full of useless ramblings - whic would be a shame as I can see this forum having the potentiel to be useful.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've added the 10 post count to the forums to stop the masses playing the games, it is a bonus for members, not a reason to sign up if you see my point.

I hope that spam on the forums won't appear, otherwise they will have to go :(

Reaction score
Very interesting indeed! I am also a casual user, who came to the forum looking for some random bit of information now lost to memory.

I happened upon curveball and was completely addicted to it (hence the scores...don't pat too hard Kura, I'm still here;). But I agree with and fully undestand the reasons the moderators and the more active member of the forum would want to place some limitations.

My thing is, I'm more of a closet tech person. I like to read and learn. I haven't put together a computer for over a year, so no interesting PC questions need to be answered.

Just wanted to say that this is a great site and whether I can play the games or not, I'll still be here reading, and now I've been incited to even post something. How we change, how we change....

Ask a Question