So let me get this straight.. another activation question

Colin Barnhorst

There are two types of OEM activation schemes. One is called System Locked
activation and is tied to the BIOS. This type of OEM cd's have the BIOS
code and do not generate an activation hardware hash. These systems never
activate over the internet because they are already activated by the
manufacturer by virtue of the BIOS code. A replacement of the same model
motherboard with an identical BIOS is a match with the BIOS code on the cd
and the system remains activated. You could change everything else on the
computer and it would not matter. No activation is required. If the BIOS
does not match, however, a call to the activation center is required.

Your OEM cd is of the other type. Activation does rely on the same hardware
hash scheme retail products do. These are the cd's that sell on eBay.

Michael Stevens

In
slotcarz said:
I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received a
piece of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the
transaction. I am building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and
ram, using My old HDD, both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell
me where I stand on re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom
cable as my hardware with this purchase. I had to re-format and
install XP Home at the end of Jan/05 due to a problem and activation
went thru no problem. I have this feeling I am screwed and have to
buy another copy of XP. Is there not anything that can be done to not
have to do this. I went thru the automated help to get my 2 free
requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that also.
thanks for your time

slotcarz

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Move XP to new hardware.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

D.Currie

slotcarz said:
Um .. Wow Bruce!
I am going balls to wall (sorta I guess),
- P4 HT 3 Ghz Prescott cpu, (need a new board for it)
- ASRock P4V88 RAID VIA PT880 Chipset Motherboard ( cheaper but I'm sure
it
will work ok)(so new memory)
- 512 mb DDR333 ram
- new case to accomodate the new mix and heat off this bad boy..
so yes I have bought a new case..

Using from old pc
- 40 GB HDD
- DVD rom
- DVD/RW
- floppy drive
- radeon 9200 video card
- sound blaster card

I can see that the OS locks itself but like said above, I got a piece of
wire for my "hardware requirement". Maybe the seller is at fault on that
one
but I'm sure it wasn't enforced like it should be or pull it all off of
ebay
and not let it be sold as it probably was sold with a pc at some point
before
it got to ebay.
oh well..live and learn right??
cya

The hardware requirement for selling the software is completely unrelated to
what the software is tied to for activation.

David Candy

The OEM did not have a license to sell the OEM version of XP. Therefore they cannot license you as they don't have one. You cannot sell OEM with peripherals. Therefore you were ripped off.

Thanks to all who posted. I have purchased a new retail version and won't
have to worry about it any longer.
Now I just have to get all my hardware and putt his thing together.. My cost
building my own is more than half less if I would have bought an OOB pc..
thanks again
slotcarz

David Candy

Rule 1. Specify your own computer. A cheap computer might be $800. You specify better parts and a GOOD computer may be $850.
Rule 2. Get retail or genuine MS OEM disks (eg not Compaq OEM disks) depending on your likely future use..

Colin Barnhorst

I think you made the right decision. It is telling that all the questions
in the newsgroup are about OEM cd's. No one has to ask about retail
editions. They just work.

BBUNNY

My OEM disks all the way back to WIN95 throught XPH and
XPP just work.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
| I think you made the right decision. It is telling that all the
| questions in the newsgroup are about OEM cd's. No one has to ask
| about retail editions. They just work.
|
|| Thanks to all who posted. I have purchased a new retail version and
|| won't have to worry about it any longer.
|| Now I just have to get all my hardware and putt his thing together..
|| My cost
|| building my own is more than half less if I would have bought an OOB
|| pc.. thanks again
|| slotcarz
|| "slotcarz" wrote:
||| I bought a OEM version of Win XP Home w/SP1 off of ebay. I received
||| a piece
||| of hardware as per ebay/Microsoft regulations for the transaction.
||| I am building a new pc with a new cpu, motherboard, and ram, using
||| My old HDD, both dvd and dvd/rw drives. Can someone tell me where I
||| stand on re-activation? As I remember, I received a cdrom cable as
||| my hardware with
||| this purchase. I had to re-format and install XP Home at the end of
||| Jan/05
||| due to a problem and activation went thru no problem. I have this
||| feeling I
||| am screwed and have to buy another copy of XP. Is there not
||| anything that can
||| be done to not have to do this. I went thru the automated help to
||| get my 2
||| free requests for help but looks like they want me to pay for that
||| also. thanks for your time
||| slotcarz

David Candy

A real OEM disk is virtually identical to a retail disk (it just won;t upgrade). But most companies make their own OEM disks. And anything goes. Some are just ghosted images.

BBUNNY

_usually worse_

David Candy wrote:
| A real OEM disk is virtually identical to a retail disk (it just
| won;t upgrade). But most companies make their own OEM disks. And
| anything goes. Some are just ghosted images.

|| My OEM disks all the way back to WIN95 throught XPH and
|| XPP just work.
|| Colin Barnhorst wrote:
||| I think you made the right decision. It is telling that all the
||| questions in the newsgroup are about OEM cd's. No one has to ask
||| about retail editions. They just work.

Colin Barnhorst

No, any mid-sized or small dealer who puts a box together for a customer
will give the customer a Microsoft hologrammed OEM cd. It will be silver,
hologrammed with Windows, and say "for installation on a new computer only."
These are the cd's folks buy at the local computer store (not the chain
outlets) or buy off of eBay with a piece of non-functional hardware. It is
much rarer to see the branded OEM cd's on eBay, but some do show up. The
large vendors are the ones who brand the OEM cd's and these are the ones
that have the OOBE changes to suite the vendor.