Smartphone to PC file transfer?

Fokke Nauta

Have they figured out that copying data is a fundamental part of
computing? My iPhone 3G does not easily copy files to/from a PC.
My next smartphone definitely will. That's just critical here.

Make sure your next one is an Android one. Install the SSHDroid app,
install an FTP client on your pc and you can use sftp to connect from
your pc to your smartphone. Works well.

Fokke

Alek Trishan

Make sure your next one is an Android one. Install the SSHDroid app,
install an FTP client on your pc and you can use sftp to connect from
your pc to your smartphone. Works well.

Or use the LAN plug-in with TotalCommander and operate file transfers
using your Android device. I like that better than having to go to where
my computer is. :)

...winston

John Doe wrote, On 4/4/2014 7:25 PM:
What I really need the information, the question will be more specific,
since it's obviously being lost...

Good luck.

Ken Springer

Apparently a "smart phone" is smart, while the iPhone isn't smart.

Michael

The phone is smart, some owners, not so much.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

John Doe

Ken Springer said:
The phone is smart

It's not smart, it's intuitive.
some owners, not so much.

Like the mass of Mac and iPhone users.

Steve Jobs made a killing off of the masses who couldn't care less
about personal computers. But that's not why we're here in these
PC user groups.

Ken Springer

It's not smart, it's intuitive.

Intuitive to Person A does not guarantee intuitive to Person B.
Like the mass of Mac and iPhone users.

Lots of PC owners have iPhones. Are you saying those PC owners are not
smart.
Steve Jobs made a killing off of the masses who couldn't care less
about personal computers. But that's not why we're here in these
PC user groups.

He did, but you introduced the iPhone into the discussion with your
original post. :)

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5

Paul

Brian said:
USB cables are limited to 5m length.

That is why you put four 5 meter cables with active
repeaters on each, end to end.

The (5M) length limit is enforced by some time constant
in the protocol. While longer cables are offered
for sale, somehow the time of flight still has
to be taken into account. Some of the cables
cheat, by adding additional active repeaters in
the middle of the cable run. But there are some
other cables, where the wire is too long (using a
different dielectric would probably not allow the
cable length to be doubled). So they must have found
some other way around the timeout issue.

I use the 5 meter cables, because I don't like surprises.
And I was surprised how much power was available at
the end of the cable. A couple of webcams didn't complain
at all, when operated at the end of 15 meters of cable.

As an example of what you can do, this is a still picture
clipped out a movie, taken when I had a camera up behind
my bathroom wall. The object in the picture is the
valve for the shower, and it isn't leaking into the
wall (whew!). That's what owning long USB cables buys
you. Home inspection, in weird places. Some day, I'll
have a robot to climb up inside the walls and look around :)

http://i61.tinypic.com/vcz62h.jpg

The camera... using some ancient webcam chips (controller and sensor)

http://www.generaltools.com/DCS050--The-Seeker-050-USB-Video-Inspection-System_p_1296.html#

Paul

Fokke Nauta

Or use the LAN plug-in with TotalCommander and operate file transfers
using your Android device. I like that better than having to go to where
my computer is. :)

I wasn't aware of that option. A good one.
But I still prefer to work from my pc with a keyboard :)

Fokke

RayLopez99

Have they figured out that copying data is a fundamental part of

computing? My iPhone 3G does not easily copy files to/from a PC.

My next smartphone definitely will. That's just critical here.

Dumb and dumber. The iPhone plays well with Mac. Why not buy a Mac? Stupid stupid John D'OH!

RL

John Doe

Regular Google Groups troll...

--
Path: eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!newsfeed.fsmpi.rwth-aachen.de!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder2-2.proxad.net!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!69.16.185.113.MISMATCH!peer03.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!cm18no871550qab.0!news-out.google.com!gi6ni272igc.0!nntp.google.com!ur14no4669039igb.0!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 09:59:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Smartphone to PC file transfer?
From: RayLopez99 <raylopez88 gmail.com>

Dumb and dumber. The iPhone plays well with Mac. Why not buy a Mac? Stupid stupid John D'OH!

RL

Zaidy036

Have they figured out that copying data is a fundamental part of
computing? My iPhone 3G does not easily copy files to/from a PC.
My next smartphone definitely will. That's just critical here.
old version of DropBox

in iTunes lots of apps when searching "file manager"

John Doe

Zaidy036 said:
John Doe wrote:

old version of DropBox in iTunes lots of apps when searching
"file manager"

That's not enough. A $600 smart phone should be as easy to use as
a $5 flash drive.

When it is plugged into my computer, it will show up in Windows'
file manager. That includes music and video (multimedia)
directories/folders, so that songs and videos can be dragged and
dropped from my hard drive to the smartphone for playing.
Importing songs to my iPhone 3G is a PITA.

IPhones (at least up through the 3G) weren't meant for PC users,
and it shows.

Paul

John said:
That's not enough. A $600 smart phone should be as easy to use as
a $5 flash drive.

When it is plugged into my computer, it will show up in Windows'
file manager. That includes music and video (multimedia)
directories/folders, so that songs and videos can be dragged and
dropped from my hard drive to the smartphone for playing.
Importing songs to my iPhone 3G is a PITA.

IPhones (at least up through the 3G) weren't meant for PC users,
and it shows.

Apple products were designed with DRM (digital rights management)
in mind. That's why syncing the content is so anal. They're free
to change the terms of the DRM as time passes, but that doesn't
change the transport standards used when the device is plugged
in.

With Microsoft, that's what MTP was for, versus USB Mass Storage
(which allows you to do anything). MTP allows enforcing DRM as well.

Microsoft had this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playsforsure

Apple had that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

The differences are when they decided to turn them on or
turn them off. Or, the delivery method went out of business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

With the DMCA, the hardware companies are expected to not
aid and abet the defeating of DRM. Which means the
transport mechanisms have to get the approval of the
company lawyer. It's not like the hardware engineers
just pick the transport standard over their coffee break.
The lawyer picks it.

Paul

John Doe

Paul said:
John Doe wrote:

Apple products were designed with DRM (digital rights
management) in mind.

That's probably useful information to some readers. I realized that.
With the iPhone, maybe they built on their iPod system.
With Microsoft, that's what MTP was for, versus USB Mass Storage
(which allows you to do anything). MTP allows enforcing DRM as
well.
With the DMCA, the hardware companies are expected to not aid
and abet the defeating of DRM. Which means the transport
mechanisms have to get the approval of the company lawyer. It's
not like the hardware engineers just pick the transport standard
over their coffee break. The lawyer picks it.

Anybody know how easy is copying (dragging and dropping) and
playing music on a non-iPhone smartphone nowadays? That's the main
use for my smartphone when I'm out, listening to music.

xfile

Have they figured out that copying data is a fundamental part of
computing? My iPhone 3G does not easily copy files to/from a PC.
My next smartphone definitely will. That's just critical here.

I’m a relatively new iOS user (for about a year) and even I know that
there is an iTunes App Store where people can find tons of applications.

For myself, I use GoodReader which is a PDF reader, but it supports sync
individual files or folders with Dropbox, SkyDrive, WebDAV, AFP, SMB,
FTP or SFTP server and many popular file formats including MS Office.

And it can scan nearby computers for supported network connections, and
I don’t need a USB or LAN cable for file sync. :)

Coming to a Windows newsgroup for iOS solutions proves the owner has
little sense of where to find information.