Phone Question

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm not a mobile phone fanboy but I do need a new phone.

I have an iPhone 4 atm and for a few years it's fulfilled every purpose I need. The camera's rubbish but I don't use the camera, it has 16Gb memory which is enough to carry a decent selection of music around with me and it makes phone calls and receives them.

I have a whole three apps on the phone, one of which is the Uber cab service which I've used once, a year ago. I went to use it again recently and I found out I need at least Apple OS IOS8 for Uber to work on my phone. The iPhone 4 only goes up to IOS7 so it seems I'm snookered.

I'm SIM only, have been that way for many years now, and therefore just want to buy a phone. I've considered a few but the one that's favourite atm is the Samsung S5. A 16Gb model costs £150 refurbished on Ebay Link and will run the Uber Cab app.

I'm not interested in having the latest model of anything, I just want something that works. A good camera is a bonus but far from essential, I have a decent Canon camera.

So basically, anybody have any opinions or advice about The Samsung S5?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My other half's got an S5, its alright. The flap on the bottom over the USB socket is a ball ache though. Its for the waterproofing. It will likely break, her's did, she got a new one off the bay. The camera's not bad, its an older Samsung so it full of bloatware, but most of it can be uninstalled/disabled.

The Moto G might be worth looking at? ~£170 new from Amazon and you get Amazons return/CS etc.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B014KT0KWE/

Wileyfox Swift is another that seems good for only £99.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wileyfox-Swift-Dual-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B014UUQUAO/

I'll keep thinking...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I looked at the suggestions offered and the Moto G was the one I think I'll go for. Two of my daughters visited over the weekend and they soon discovered the Moto G can be had for quite a bit less than the £173 Amazon want for it.

Thanks for the suggestions V_R.

Where you been hiding Mr Legs?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I looked at the suggestions offered and the Moto G was the one I think I'll go for. Two of my daughters visited over the weekend and they soon discovered the Moto G can be had for quite a bit less than the £173 Amazon want for it.

Thanks for the suggestions V_R.

Where you been hiding Mr Legs?
I been nipping in and out of here now and again, checking you lot were still alive
Had a house move, a job move, a lady move and a tech move, so been a busy boy for a little while, things quietened down now a little so thought I would pop me head in :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Nice one, just be aware there are I think 3 generations of it now, :)

Nice to see you again CL. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
3 generations of Moto G eh? That probably explains the price difference then, thanks for letting me know, I'll be aware of that when I order.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
3 generations of Moto G eh? That probably explains the price difference then, thanks for letting me know, I'll be aware of that when I order.
I have the Moto G3 and its fantastic!
If you go for the 3G may I suggest you only go for the 2gb ram 16gb rom model as the 1gb is sorely lacking and you will get a far better experience with the 2gb model
Just thought I would chip that in..

Heres the one I bought from Amazon in Feb https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-M...9153612&sr=8-2&keywords=moto+g+3rd+generation

Ask a Question