Switching between sims on dual sim phone

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If I have a dual sim phone can I use one sim slot with my present ASDA sim (if it fits of course) and use the other slot for a different sim ?

How easy is it to switch from one sim to another on the phone ? Is it just a couple of clicks or is it a tad difficult (that is if the answer to the first Q is yes) ? :confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Depends on the phone but generally you should be able to specify which SIM you want to do what.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So there is some sort of app like a network manager that will let me choose which card to use once it has been set up ? :cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What phone is it?

Last time I had a dual sim phone it was the Oneplus 5, and I only had it for a week before returning it as the camera wasn't all that. Even then I didn't use two sims in it, so my knowledge is limited.

But basically you had options within the settings as to what sim for what purpose and I'm pretty sure you could decide on a call by call basis what sim to dial out on.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I am after a OnePlus 3 T but may end up with a 3,

OnePlus 3 review

OnePlus 3T review: Gone but not forgotten

as I fancy having a play with,

Sailfish OS

as there is a community port to the above. I might have gone for the 5 or 5T but Sailfish has no port at the moment though someone is working on one.
I have read that the 3 has video stabilisers whereas this feature was dropped for the 5 series so the 3 series is probably better for me.

I'll be using one sim for my work/emergency phone and the rare occassion when I phone someone else. The other sim I think will have a

Three Data Reward SIM: How To Get 200mb of Data Free Every Month

as I intend to use the phone as a work phone and also as a emergency AA caller to get me out of trouble (hopefully never needed when out on the Royal). I will also be using off line,

OsmAnd~

OsmAnd+ (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) is a map and navigation application with access to the free, worldwide, and high-quality OpenStreetMap (OSM) data.
Enjoy voice and optical navigation, viewing POIs (points of interest), creating and managing GPX tracks, using contour lines visualization and altitude info, a choice between driving, cycling, pedestrian modes, OSM editing and much more.

As I like to ride the smallest roads a sat nav something or other will be very helpful. I have already trialed OsmAnd~ on my old tablet and it works really well with the GPS hook up and off line maps. The tablet is a tad too big for normal rides but fits neatly into my tank top bag with a clear view pocket, so is useful for long trips.
For shorter rides the phone will be great for checking that I am not too lost and it will help me find my way home. There is a very neat feature for places of interest in the OsmAnd~, you tap on the orange balloon and get a one line bit of info, tap twice and you connect to a on-line wiki page for more info. That will work very well with the Three Data sim as I doubt I will use the feature a great deal but it will be nice to use at times.

So it looks like I will finally have a foot in the modern phone world. I doubt that I will ever be tempted to join FaceBook or similar though. Shame me tablet is a tad too big as it gives around eight hours of life with the OsmAnd~ running and will be easier to read than a smaller phone. It's a trade of though , tablet + small phone , or slightly bigger phone on its own.
I should be ok for even mega rides out as OsmAnd~ works on a phone when it is in airplane modeand extends battery life which is neat.

Now if only folk would stop bidding silly money for old tech on E-Bay I could get this project on the road :lol:

Reaction score
On my Xiaomi, you select the default Sim for calls and data in phone settings. But when I make calls, I have two buttons named Sim1/Sim2 to start a call.

Ask a Question