Slow web page loading with broadband

for some reason, web pages have started to load really slowly on a broadband connection. dowloads remain fast, "pings" are good, and there is no slow down when on-line gaming. It just takes ages for a web page to load. Ive defragmented, installed and run spybot, gone to the the broadband providers technical help-line, but nothing seems to work. Please help - this is driving me up the wall!

Jan Il

Hi TwoCarpets :)
for some reason, web pages have started to load really slowly on a
broadband connection. dowloads remain fast, "pings" are good, and
there is no slow down when on-line gaming. It just takes ages for a
web page to load. Ive defragmented, installed and run spybot, gone to
the the broadband providers technical help-line, but nothing seems to
work. Please help - this is driving me up the wall!

Try clearig out your Temporary Internet Files and Histroy files and see if
it helps.

Clear TIF Files
The temporary files only holds so many files, so perhaps you might try
clearing the Temporary Internet Files and History.

Tools | Internet Options | At the Temporary Internet Files click on Settings
| View Files tab | Edit | Select All \ click Delete key, then click OK.
Click Clear History

Hope this helps.

Jan :)

LuckyStrike

TwoCarpets - <g>

Do a test here for actual speeds etc.
http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed/
FAQs
http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed/FAQ.html
Main page
http://www.numion.com/

Surely the tech help have had something to offer, or are they blaming it on
your PC? For me, on the occasion that I do have trouble with what seems to
be slow-loading (on DSL) I do the following:
Shut down PC.
Power off DSL modem
Wait 2 minutes for it to "reset"
Power up modem; wait for it to stabilize. (about 30 seconds or so)
Re-boot computer
Works like a charm. ;-)

IF, you are visiting the same sites, and your TIF's are really loaded down
with lots of stuff, the cache - which is relatively small for the sake of
speed - will have to glean through a lot of stuff to pull up what you want.
I'd recommend seeing just how big your TIF's have grown to as regards the
number of Folders and files, as well as it's size in MB's (GB's?)

Open Explorer>Windows>Temporary Internet Files> left Explorer pane> expand
Temporary Internet files> Content.IE5>R-Click> properties. See if it is
really huge. If so, Control panel>IE Options>delete files>delete all
off-line content>OK>OK out. See if that helps.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)
TwoCarpets said:
for some reason, web pages have started to load really slowly on a
broadband connection. dowloads remain fast, "pings" are good, and there is
no slow down when on-line gaming. It just takes ages for a web page to load.
Ive defragmented, installed and run spybot, gone to the the broadband
providers technical help-line, but nothing seems to work. Please help - this
is driving me up the wall!

LuckyStrike

I should have added that the process I described previously will also clear
the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder as well as the entirety
of files and folders in the Content.IE5 folder (which is a "semi-hidden
folder" so as to afford a degree of protection for it; it isn't a true
Hidden folder.) The Index.dat file which is instrumental in the proper
cataloguing of that folder can be seriously disrupted were it not so
protected, and one were to blithely go in there and delete folders and files
piecemeal. Using IE Options>delete is the only recommended safe way to do
this other than using a DOS Deltree command.

I should also add that this method described above does NOT clear or delete
the contents of your C:\Windows\TEMP folder. That folder can usually be
cleaned by the process of opening it>tools menu>edit>select all>delete. The
contents are safe to delete (usually) after a re-boot, as anything which is
placed there - as when installing certain programs - will be installed into
the proper directories after a re-boot. They are also "protected" in that
most will not allow themselves to be deleted if they are in-use. If that
were to happen, simply Ctrl-Click on the topmost file to de-select it, and
then continue the process.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)
"TwoCarpets" wrote in message
for some reason, web pages have started to load really slowly on a
broadband connection<snip>

jan/Lucky strike - thanks for the feedback. Unfortuantely no banana! I checked my speed via the numion site - it is a miserly 6kbs, which seems a tad slow for broadband. But I would stress that download times are fast - it is only loading web pages that is slow. My TIF are now empty, and Im starting to slowly lose the will to live. This has only happened in the last month or so - everything else on the system appars fine. Aaarrgh.

LuckyStrike

TwoCarpets -

Running a firewall? Changed your firewall to a newer or different version?
If so, which one, and what settings?
--
LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)
TwoCarpets said:
jan/Lucky strike - thanks for the feedback. Unfortuantely no banana! I
checked my speed via the numion site - it is a miserly 6kbs, which seems a
tad slow for broadband. But I would stress that download times are fast - it
is only loading web pages that is slow. My TIF are now empty, and Im
starting to slowly lose the will to live. This has only happened in the last
month or so - everything else on the system appars fine. Aaarrgh.

Im not running a firewall to my knowledge - I have recently updated Norton antivirus, but that was after the bloody thing started slowing down. Generally speaking, whilst I would say I have a working knowlege of the system, I tend not to go in and fiddle about with any settings.

LuckyStrike

I'm at an immediate loss as to offer any solution at this time. I might add
that in the opinion of many, NAV is a bulky AV program which, although
installed *after* your problem started, cannot have any helpful effect on
the overall system performance.

Get a firewall ASAP. I use ZA Pro (older version), but look around, there
are many available. I've heard there are some possible problems with the
latest versions...I steer clear. Now, try these links for some further help.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/faq
http://www.dslreports.com/tools

THEN, check for other possible Spyware that can very likely be affecting
performance:
WSC -Aumha - Jim Eshelman site (excellent overview and a great knowledgeable
MVP)
http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.htm

There are lots more links contained within the above site for *necessary*
(IMO) programs such as:
Ad-Aware
CWShredder
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
HijackThis

Forgot to comment 6Kbps is less than pitifully slow; if there is found to be
no problem with your PC, I'd ask for my money back! Now, I run ~ 760 - 850
Kbps FYI with DSL.

Also, while you're at it, take a look in Msconfig, and the Task manager and
see what is running in the background. Also you can look into Msinfo32 for a
bigger picture, but there *are* programs (freeware) and anti spyware
scanners which will reveal even more of start-up and running programs. We'll
touch upon this if the need calls for it. OK?

HTH -
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

TwoCarpets said:
Im not running a firewall to my knowledge - I have recently updated Norton
antivirus, but that was after the bloody thing started slowing down.
Generally speaking, whilst I would say I have a working knowlege of the
system, I tend not to go in and fiddle about with any settings.

Jan Il

Hi TwoCarpets :)
jan/Lucky strike - thanks for the feedback. Unfortuantely no banana!
I checked my speed via the numion site - it is a miserly 6kbs, which
seems a tad slow for broadband. But I would stress that download
times are fast - it is only loading web pages that is slow. My TIF
are now empty, and Im starting to slowly lose the will to live. This
has only happened in the last month or so - everything else on the
system appars fine. Aaarrgh.

Try the following and see if something here will help.

Problems downloading
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers_8.htm#downloading

Hope this helps.

Jan :)