Slow Network Performance

NEOnet-Tracy

I am curious if anyone else is experience extremely slow network performance
when attempting to copy files between either another Vista Desktop or a
Windows 2003 Server?

I actually get faster speeds downloading files off of the Internet! This
really doesn't make any sense to me. I get the same result from both my
office and home network environments.

At home I'm connected Wireless and at the Office connected via Wire. In
both cases I get the same result!

If anyone else has figured out a fix for this please let me know as I'd be
very interested in figuring out what to do about it!

PTravel

NEOnet-Tracy said:
I am curious if anyone else is experience extremely slow network
performance when attempting to copy files between either another Vista
Desktop or a Windows 2003 Server?

I actually get faster speeds downloading files off of the Internet! This
really doesn't make any sense to me. I get the same result from both my
office and home network environments.

At home I'm connected Wireless and at the Office connected via Wire. In
both cases I get the same result!

If anyone else has figured out a fix for this please let me know as I'd be
very interested in figuring out what to do about it!

As would I. This problem has been reported quite a bit. As a work around,
I'm using FTP to transfer files -- it works great, and I get lightning-fast
transfer speeds.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I do understand you are encountering a performance issue.
However, please understand performance issues can be difficult to
troubleshoot and resolve in a newsgroup setting due to the number of
variables and the amount of time required to narrow down possible causes
and observe the effects. You may wish to consider contacting CSS for a more
timely resolution for these type issues.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com

for regional support phone numbers.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "NEOnet-Tracy" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Slow Network Performance
| Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:19:40 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| I am curious if anyone else is experience extremely slow network
performance
| when attempting to copy files between either another Vista Desktop or a
| Windows 2003 Server?
|
| I actually get faster speeds downloading files off of the Internet! This
| really doesn't make any sense to me. I get the same result from both my
| office and home network environments.
|
| At home I'm connected Wireless and at the Office connected via Wire. In
| both cases I get the same result!
|
| If anyone else has figured out a fix for this please let me know as I'd
be
| very interested in figuring out what to do about it!

Arne Haarhaus

Hi !

i found teh reason for the slow performance issue.

i used avm box 3070, did have the same slow problem,

change to a prof hub smc, nor problems anymore.

the same with the avm 7170 box , its working fine as well.

the problem appeard only with the avm 3070 box.

i am sure its a problem of firmware of some cheap hub boxes.

even the vista - samba problem is resolved when i changed the box.

good luck

arne

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Thanks for your experience sharing here.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Arne Haarhaus" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Slow Network Performance
| Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:01:16 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi !
|
| i found teh reason for the slow performance issue.
|
| i used avm box 3070, did have the same slow problem,
|
| change to a prof hub smc, nor problems anymore.
|
| the same with the avm 7170 box , its working fine as well.
|
| the problem appeard only with the avm 3070 box.
|
| i am sure its a problem of firmware of some cheap hub boxes.
|
| even the vista - samba problem is resolved when i changed the box.
|
| good luck
|
| arne
|

| | >I am curious if anyone else is experience extremely slow network
| >performance
| > when attempting to copy files between either another Vista Desktop or a
| > Windows 2003 Server?
| >
| > I actually get faster speeds downloading files off of the Internet!
This
| > really doesn't make any sense to me. I get the same result from both my
| > office and home network environments.
| >
| > At home I'm connected Wireless and at the Office connected via Wire. In
| > both cases I get the same result!
| >
| > If anyone else has figured out a fix for this please let me know as I'd
be
| > very interested in figuring out what to do about it!

Dan

Thanks for your experience sharing here.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! -www.microsoft.com/security<http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Arne Haarhaus" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Slow Network Performance
| Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:01:16 +0100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
|
| Hi !
|
| i found teh reason for the slow performance issue.
|
| i used avm box 3070, did have the same slow problem,
|
| change to a prof hub smc, nor problems anymore.
|
| the same with the avm 7170 box , its working fine as well.
|
| the problem appeard only with the avm 3070 box.
|
| i am sure its a problem of firmware of some cheap hub boxes.
|
| even the vista - samba problem is resolved when i changed the box.
|
| good luck
|
| arne
|

|| >I am curious if anyone else is experience extremely slow network
| >performance
| > when attempting to copy files between either another Vista Desktop or a
| > Windows 2003 Server?
| >
| > I actually get faster speeds downloading files off of the Internet!
This
| > really doesn't make any sense to me. I get the same result from both my
| > office and home network environments.
| >
| > At home I'm connected Wireless and at the Office connected via Wire. In
| > both cases I get the same result!
| >
| > If anyone else has figured out a fix for this please let me know as I'd
be
| > very interested in figuring out what to do about it!

I had terrible performance copying files at first, I upgraded to
gigabit and initially that had little effect - after about a week,
mysteriously, the situation improved immensly - Vista had indexed all
of the files on all of our network drives and our performance tripled
after the indexing was complete. Go to control panel/performance/ and
look at the options on the left, one of them refers to indexing, I see
that my first Vista box indexed about 50,000 files on remote drives -
after it completed that task, it seemed like the network copy speed
improved dramatically. The benefit is that file searches on network
drives are lightning fast. I'm not 100% positive if the indexing
caused the problem, but it sure seems that it works well now - our
network drives are on a Server 2003 file servers.
Dan

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Thanks Dan.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Dan" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| Subject: Re: Slow Network Performance
| Date: 6 Mar 2007 04:15:32 -0800
|
| On Mar 6, 2:51 am, (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| wrote:
| > Thanks for your experience sharing here.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| >
| > Get Secure!
-www.microsoft.com/security<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Arne Haarhaus" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Slow Network Performance
| > | Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:01:16 +0100
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
| > |
| > | Hi !
| > |
| > | i found teh reason for the slow performance issue.
| > |
| > | i used avm box 3070, did have the same slow problem,
| > |
| > | change to a prof hub smc, nor problems anymore.
| > |
| > | the same with the avm 7170 box , its working fine as well.
| > |
| > | the problem appeard only with the avm 3070 box.
| > |
| > | i am sure its a problem of firmware of some cheap hub boxes.
| > |
| > | even the vista - samba problem is resolved when i changed the box.
| > |
| > | good luck
| > |
| > | arne