Slow Menu when Right-clicking on shortcuts Win-2K

I have the same problem. Been looking for a few days and
have tried regmon and other ideas I've read here. No luck
solving it. Looks like lots of people are having this
problem.

I'm thinking of uninstalling SP4.

Please let me know if you come up with something.

Rick

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and post the list of processes here in this forum.

If you're running Netware client 4.81, upgrade to 4.9x.

Rick

Rick

Just for a test, try terminating nwtray and see if the problem
goes away. If it does, that will verify the Netware client is
causing your problem.

Also try loading 4.9x on a single client, same reason as above.

Rick

ljb

Thanks Rick I'm looking into it...I would not be surprised
if it had something to do with Networking services.
Unfortunately - I tried killing the processes
NWTray,NAL,Naldesk etc and I turned off the services as
well but it did not improve things....the Shortcut menus
are still slow. I'll DL the Novells 9 client and check it
out Tommorow. Stay tuned to this Channel......

It's definitely the Netware client doing this, at least for me.

What happens: right-click over a quick-launch toolbar icon, or over a
desktop shortcut. It takes about 10-25 seconds before the menu pops up. Try
again, any icon, and it's fast. Wait about 5 minutes, and it is slow again.
Does not affect My Computer, My Net, Recycle, or system tray icons.
It happens on Windows 2000 SP4, but not on Windows 2000 SP3.

During the delay, Task Manager shows nothing going on. But Ethereal (a
network tracer) shows that the Netware client is the culprit. It looks to
me like the PC is using the Netware client to try to resolve a name using
IPX SAP, SLP, and Bindery scan. There are multiple requests using each
protocol with 1-4 seconds delay between them, acounting for 12 seconds from
the time I clicked till it finally gives up and then I see the menu. I
hestitate to say it is trying to resolve the name "C" using the network,
but that's what it kind of looks like to me. Amazing if true.

I have Novell Netware Client 4.83, with some patches. If I uninstall the
client, the problem goes away. I've tried 4.83 service pack 2, and 4.83
service pack 2 plus update "e". No difference - still slow. Reports
elsewhere say that client 4.90 does not fix it either.

If you're having the same problems and using the Novell client, then
the best place to follow up is probably on Novell's newsgroup:
novell.support.os.client.winnt-2k-xp

Rick

tech said:
Interesting, its time to fire up the sniffer....
For Other Readers Following this thread here's the Quickie:

4.90 solves the problem....sort of. Install it on a test
box and play with it to see what you get. YMMV

What happens with my test machine:

I installed the Netware 4.90 client on the test machine.
What happens is the still delay occurs, but only once then
the Icons respond normally (half-a-loaf is better than
none I guess). Note: If you reboot or relogin the delay
happens again but only once then it goes back to Normal.

However, while I'll go with the Netware client trying to
resolve the names over the network first as the culprit, I
believe that the OS is causing this behavior. After all
this did not happen under W2K SP3. Perhaps, something in
SP4 changed to tell the Netware client what to do OR this
behavior is by design was broken prior to SP4. (Unlikely
as it does not happen with the MS NW Client). As I said
earlier upgrading to NW Client 4.90 really is not an
option for us at this time. So I guess we will have to
live with it for the time being. I will Check out the
Novell site again to see if they will own up to it... :)

Don't hold your breath. From most accounts the reps on their
site have no direct contact with the developers, and revision
histories for their client software are intentionally ambiguous,
essentially useless.

Rick

ljb

However, while I'll go with the Netware client trying to
resolve the names over the network first as the culprit, I
believe that the OS is causing this behavior. After all
this did not happen under W2K SP3. Perhaps, something in
SP4 changed to tell the Netware client what to do OR this
behavior is by design was broken prior to SP4. (Unlikely
as it does not happen with the MS NW Client). As I said
earlier upgrading to NW Client 4.90 really is not an
option for us at this time. So I guess we will have to
live with it for the time being. I will Check out the
Novell site again to see if they will own up to it... :)

I have a work-around which really seems to fix it, but you'll have to wait
until tomorrow. Sorry. So far I've only tested it on one PC (that has had
multiple client reloads) so I don't entirely trust it. Tomorrow (Wed) I'll
have one or more users test it on their own machines. If it checks out,
I'll post it. It's just a single registry value.

Your analysis is good. An obvious case for finger-pointing between MS and
Novell, since the problem really seems to be in the Novell client (based on
network traces) but only starts when you upgrade to SP4.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

ljb said:
I have a work-around which really seems to fix it, but you'll have to wait
until tomorrow. Sorry. So far I've only tested it on one PC (that has had
multiple client reloads) so I don't entirely trust it. Tomorrow (Wed) I'll
have one or more users test it on their own machines. If it checks out,
I'll post it. It's just a single registry value.

Your analysis is good. An obvious case for finger-pointing between MS and
Novell, since the problem really seems to be in the Novell client (based on
network traces) but only starts when you upgrade to SP4.

And for future reference, I have added the Google link to your post
with the fix :)

From: ljb ([email protected])
Subject: Fix for slow right-click shortcut context menus, Win2k+SP4+Netware
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2003-10-01 18:49:08 PST
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

More about the BadServer functionality here
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]