Skyrim anyone?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have pre-ordered it two days ago from Amazon.

Only game I've ever pre-ordered.

It's £27.89 normal delivery time or £29.92 to have it delivered on day of release: 11th November, so I went for the more expensive option.

Really enjoyed Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and a coupla add-ons and the trailers for Skyrim look good so here's hoping it lives up to it's promise.

I'm still holding back on Starcraft 2, Rage & Dead Island until they come down in price btw, it's very rarely I'll pay full price for a game now, have been let down too often, but Skyrim, hopefully, is different.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Never even heard of it :blush:

Just did a google and it does look good - I played a little of Elder Scrolls IV and enjoyed it, so I may keep watch on this one :D. Never used to be one for these sort of games, but I'm starting to really like them - the gameplay looks fantastic in this game!

There's an interview/gameplay demo here:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow! This game looks really awesome, I'm putting it on my wish list.:thumb:

Reaction score
This looks pretty good...I fear these games because the cooler they look, the more I think I'm likely to become obsessed. This is the main reason I tend to avoid anything but FPS...a worry that I'll get hooked on power ups and peering around the next corner. But what the hell...maybe I'll make an exception for this one:(

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well I've bought my copy of this off steam now. I couldn't resist, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion took hundreds of hours of my life away because it was so enjoyable, this looks even better! Its the most expensive to buy from steam, as you can get it from play for £5 less and I've even seen it for £8 less on lesser known games sites but for convenience I chose steam. You cant pre-install it yet though, which was what i was hoping because I bet its huge!

Reaction score
I have it pre-ordered from Steam as well. I can't wait for Friday morning to initiate the download. It's slated to be 6GB installed. Here's the specs:

Minimum Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Recommended Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This arrived from Amazon for me today :)

Yipee! I thought, let's install it. It installs to Steam and the product was activated.

Then: 'This product cannot be installed because it isn't released until tomorrow'.

Bugger :D

Hard copy comes with a nice big map printed on thick paper plus having the disk means I save on installation bandwidth. Also it was more than a fiver less from Amazon than on Steam .

Roll on midnight :)

Reaction score
They did a live marathon for this game yesterday on gamespot. One guy was playing on the PC and the other on the 360. It was on all day. Game looks great!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just played a coupla hours worth - it's good.

Lots of improvements over Oblivion, little things like marking things you can plunder as empty and the interface is easier to negotiate.

The auto detect graphics gave me a high setting but I'm noticing just a little stuttering occasionally, may have to lower settings a notch or two.

The enviroment is fine, it seems a little more violent than Oblivion and, so far, it doesn't have the charm that Oblivion had but early days, maybe that will change.

My character is a female Nord, played my first runthrough of Oblivion as a male Orc - viva la change ;)

There's a big range of difficulty settings and I am so very glad they've retained the ability to save the game wherever you like. There are auto-saves but you do have the choice. This is a good thing.

All in all early impression is thumbs up.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've also played a few hours, im a male imperial, bit of magic and bit of sword fighting, though I seem to be using my magic more than anything. I've died a few times, I had an assasin chase me down and woop my ass and also stumbled across a scavenger, but I havent died doing a mission yet, just wondering around. I'm not feeling the leveling up system so far, I prefer oblivions, but i guess i'll grow to it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
To quote Grogan (some of you know him from BBF) this game is wonderful.

Have played around five hours worth, up to level three, several quests completed, it's becoming addictive.

It does not remind me much of Oblivion I thought and then I realised why. Trekking across the countryside at night I killed a few Mud Crabs and it hit me - that was a pure Fallout 3 moment. And of course it's the same engine isn't it, not the one they used for Oblivion.

The Fallout 3 influence is there and I think that means they'll never quite capture the Oblivion atmosphere again but that's not really important, this game is quite good enough in it's own right.

There's a lot of humorous moments with dialogue between certain characters and some puzzles to solve sortta tomb raider style. Thus far, I haven't used magic at all, have been killed a few times, twice by a Giant who I couldn't kill so I just skirted round him on my way to the top of the mountain.

Another good thing about Skyrim is I can come back from the pub (like I did last night) play this game and it still makes sense, lol. Well, mostly sense, basically I can wander about and not get killed which I can't do with most fps's when I'm soused.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Level 20 now and slayed 5 dragons, the dragons are easier to kill than alot of the other enemys! Im just doing loads of side quests before i tuck into the main story.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm still on level four, trying to find my way up to the Greybeards place on top of the mountain. Have run away from some more giants, slayed a couple of Trolls and lots of bandits. Used Frostbite Venom on Old Nord Battleaxe to kill Trolls.

Got sidetracked a little though cos I've gone from not having much I fancied playing on the PC to now having three at once I'm liking a lot.

Apart from Skyrim I took a chance and paid a fiver for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 which is really very good, I keep going back to it. Basically you're shooting terrorists in Las Vegas and you really have to keep an eye out for where they're hiding. I don't normally like stealth games but this is good, easily worth a fiver.

And I saw Rage was reduced from £30 (at Steam atm) to £18 on Amazon inc postage. That arrived a few days ago and I've been playing that a lot. As the game Borderlands was influenced by Mad Max 2 so Rage is influenced by Borderlands - very much so. It's a very good game and quite easy too, I haven't died much so far.

Right, let's go back to joining Lydia and slaying a few more nasties in Skyrim.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've put rage on hold for skyrim (though i am pretty far on rage! done all the driving thats available to me so far).

I've gone all dwarfish for my armor, shield and sword (saving up for the dwarfish bow), upgraded them all to the epic category and am currently upgrading my smithing to make some dragon armor as its supposed to be the dogs! I was going into magic with fire, ice and lighting but i prefer hacking n slashing so much more.

I definitely recommend doing your smithing, its so easy and you can level up very fast by buying as much leather strips and iron ingots possible and just making iron daggers over and over again, I got to level 75 in smithing from level 0 in around an hour! Plus it levels your character up no end!

Buy all the lockpicks off every trader you meet, they come in handy like you wouldnt believe.

I've learned 4 shouts so far which include fire breathe, whirlwind run, unrelenting force, and cant for the life of me remember the 4th, and have no idea what it does! Firebreathe is so handy, it gets loads of enemys and inflicts fire damage for a while on them. You can upgrade your shouts 3 times buy reading the hidden markings around the world.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
More hours into Skyrim, its eating my life!!!!!! I've managed to get my smithing level up to 100 and create a whole set of dragon armor for myself. I want to get into enchanting to get my armor and weapons pimped up now. Apparently the daedric gear is the best in the game, even better than dragon stuff. I've upgraded all my dragon armor to legendary and my armor is at around 530 points which is 130 over the legendary dwarfish armor i had before.

The dragons are so easy to kill now, but the dudes that protect the shouts at the dragons lairs/hang outs are crazy tough! I've had to result into running away and finding a place to hit n run em, some can take 20 minutes to kill! but you get a kool helmet/mask from them that gives you good perks.

Ask a Question