Windows 10 Skype Audio Problem ... SOLVED

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows 10
Machine spec, in system spec on the left over <--- there.

I have no "sounds" in Skype ... I hear no ringtone when calling someone, no ringing when someone calls me, no annoying sounds when Skype starts with Window (that to me is fine) and no other Skype interactive sounds at all.

I can use 'test sounds' and I hear them ... I have no problems with the audio once connect to the person I called, or, who called me, when I notice that they are calling via the icon animation, or I see I missed yet another call.

My audio works perfectly with ANY other device including my webcam, speakers & headset. I can play CDs DVDs Videos with no adverse effect to audio.

I have searched till I'm blue in the face, or that may just be my Man Flu, but I cannot find any relevant 'cure' for this Win 10 Skype conundrum.

I do NOT have a Microsoft Skype/onedrive/anysighuphere crap whatsoever ... I used my original Skype settings to 'log' on. It worked on any other MS Windows before Win 10.

I have, uninstalled/reinstalled any and all relevant "drivers" & software. I have ventured into Task Mangler / Services Windows Audio and had a 'mess-about' with the startup.

I give up! Over to you good folks, maybe someone out there could point me to a 'solution' to this annoyance. :wall:

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score

Thanks for stepping forward, but ...

Volume mixer is fine
I hear the "test" sounds ... I don't hear them for real
"Enable Skype for Windows desktop notifications" ... yep, is enabled, including every tickbox ticked
Windows 10's 'app' sounds are On ... Skipe, a windows app, is not listed, so cannot target it specifically. OneDrive is, and that's Off with their other crap!

... sigh! :(

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
no matter what I chose as the 'playback' device for 'ringing' ... headset (2-Plantronics GameCom 780/788) or Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) I do not hear any sounds if I call, or am being called. I don't hear any notification sounds whatsoever.

I hear the sound if I do a test ... so both 'devices' work, just not when I need to fecking hear them.

Just to add: and I quote (this is in Windows Sound / Communications)
"Windows can automatically adjust the volume of different sounds when you are using your PC to place or receive telephone calls"

I have this set to ... Do Nothing

I do not want "sounds" to be muted, reduced 80 or 50% or any fecking thing ... and anyway, WTF has a Telephone call got to do with it? I use Skype as one uses Teamspeak! :rolleyes:

and just before anyone asks, yep, I have tried reducing the 'volume of other sounds' ... it actually does that when using Skype ... BUT IT DON'T FECKING RINGS ME.

I just know there is a "sound / communication / setting / app" that has my number on it to peeve me off.

Microsoft, U suck!! MHO. :wall:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Has it ever worked out of interest?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Has it ever worked out of interest?

Nope, not on this new build, and, I had a lot of 'problems' getting Skype to acknowledge I had a non MS "account" ... On the old system, no bother even after upgrading to Win 10 ... but, I never did a 'clean' install of Win 10 on the Intel system.

And please V_R, don't tell me it's an AMD fault.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm not sure what else to say, sounds like you've tried everything... :)

And please V_R, don't tell me it's an AMD fault.

lol, The thought genuinely hadn't crossed my mind, Not sure why you think I'd say that! :eek:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm not sure what else to say, sounds like you've tried everything... :)

lol, The thought genuinely hadn't crossed my mind, Not sure why you think I'd say that! :eek:

nau, wasn't aimed at you specifically, you just happened to be here. ;-)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This must be beyond annoying @muckshifter. (I too have the "old" style Skype, sans Microsoft paraphernalia, though not W10.) so after checking my own settings, I'm just throwing this into the pot.

Within Skype > Options > Audio settings - your Mic and Speakers are set to your chosen preference. So have you tried setting the "Ringing" option to: "Use selected speaker" rather than specifying either your Plantronics or Realtek High Def options?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Within Skype > Options > Audio settings - your Mic and Speakers are set to your chosen preference. So have you tried setting the "Ringing" option to: "Use selected speaker" rather than specifying either your Plantronics or Realtek High Def options?

yep, tried that ... :)

one note, I was on Skype with a WoWS friend and he mentioned his Skype had informed him of an update. Oh I said, and sure enough I had one to. He told me the update # and mine was still behind his ... there was another update to the update. :rolleyes:

I still have no sounds.

their is, I'm sure, an MS "app" setting I've turned off or is not turned on ... but I can't find it.

... thanks for trying. :wave:

Ask a Question