Windows XP Free Internet Phone calls ... anyone?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The beauty of it is ... the software is free, the sound quality of calls is outstanding, and if the other party has Skype as well, calls to the other end of the world won't cost a penny.

How does it work?

To use Skype, you need a computer (Mac or PC), an internet connection (ideally broadband), and a microphone headset hooked up to your computer - although the external speakers and microphone that come with most modern computers will do fine.

Skype looks a bit like an instant messaging programme, like Windows Messenger.

You have a list of contacts - either other Skype users, or a phone number.

To call someone, you select (or add) the name or phone number and click on a green button.

After a few seconds you hear the phone "ring" ... the other person answers and you have a normal chat "on the phone". Conference calls are easy to set up, and instant messaging is possible, too.

... its good fun and you'll find me as muckshifter.

:thumb:

Reaction score
I used to have Skype AGES ago ! lol But ended up deleted it since i had no use for it anymore :)

Good programme though it seems. Just need more people to know about it then it would be even better since i only had one contact on it last time !!! :p

hehe

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I remember what Gabrella said ... "wouldn't it be nice to talk one to one" ... well, I never knew this Skype existed untill someone on my own site mentioned it.

I just had to have a look-see ... well pleased with it so far, and I now know what I'll be doing with my old SoundBlaster card.

KGB-911, what is your Skype name?

Belloni, why not join in again?

:D

Reaction score
if your desperate, it is (removed)

I havent got a mic atm. - im on my laptop away from home

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
i am looking for a program that will let you call normal phone lines for free... does such a thing excist?

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
i am looking for a program that will let you call normal phone lines for free... does such a thing excist?

dont quote me KGB i didnt read it properly but if u get a chance have a butchers at this months PCFormat, it has something in it to do with phone calls through the net

let us know what u find!:p

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the only way of making free phonecalls is to use a VOIP client like skype but you can only use it if both parties have a pc with internet connetion and the Skype software, calls to mobiles or normal landlines isn't free

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Free calls indeed! As Me_2001 says, VOIP is the way to go for free calls:

I've heard of a few people joining this and getting free in / out calls using : http://www.call1899.co.uk/voip.php (Only free to UK/USA/Canada/Germany).

I've never tested it myself, but I know of people using it. Might be worth it if you make lots of calls!

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I remember what Gabrella said ... "wouldn't it be nice to talk one to one" ... well, I never knew this Skype existed untill someone on my own site mentioned it.

I just had to have a look-see ... well pleased with it so far, and I now know what I'll be doing with my old SoundBlaster card.

KGB-911, what is your Skype name?

Belloni, why not join in again?

:D

lol Muck :p I might do if MORE people join in on it ...

I might download it soon ...

Dunno if i will be able to talk ... i will just use my webcam mic ... :)

What's your name on it Muck ?! :S

:p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been tinkering about with this when Mucks suggested it, and I've made some very interesting discoveries! I'm writing VoIP up into an article at the moment, but there is another one to follow....

Using that link above to get free phone calls, I've turned my PDA into a mobile phone wherever there is open wireless access in my uni! It works surprisingly well! I can make calls to anyone in the UK for free on this thing, its great :D Soon to be published in an article!

Reaction score
sounds good abt the free calls

but whats the catch?

im presuming it costs one somwhere.
is it local calls or to mobiles too?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
psd99 said:
sounds good abt the free calls

but whats the catch?

im presuming it costs one somwhere.
is it local calls or to mobiles too?

The catch with this method is they will probably charge at some point in the future - this is only for the method to call normal landlines. VoIP would still be free though :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You could try one of These :)

Now that looks like a nifty gadget... I've seen RJ45 style net phones before, that is something that would be handy - straight into the router! (Or 802.11b wifi :))

Reaction score
I have just bought my new SkpyeIn phone number. so not people can call in to my pc.

It came with free answering machine.

020 7870 **** [sorry i don't want to say the last 4 digits]

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
I have just bought my new SkpyeIn phone number. so not people can call in to my pc.

It came with free answering machine.

020 7870 **** [sorry i don't want to say the last 4 digits]

how much did it cost u

could u give us a link please.

thanks

free answering machine eh?
lovely jubly!

Ask a Question