Simple Networking!?

Kye

Reaction score
there are alot of sites out there which try too explain networking, but some sites conflict with others or one will tell you one thing and the other site, another thing.

i have 2 PCs, next too eachother. both home computers. one 512k cable modem. a ethernet cable bwtween the two PCs or do i have too buy a hub?

i simply want too share the cable modem between two PCs, nothing more, no printers or anything like that.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%

I too wanted to setup simple networking between two computer, a laptop with wifi and a desktop with cable modem connection. After reading a bit I found out that I could set up an adhoc connection between the desktop and laptop, since the laptop had the wireless card built in I just was required to get a wireless card for the desktop, which I did.

I tried all possibilites but somehow the Internet sharing just does not work, even though the two computers recognise each other and confirm an excellent signal level.

The more I read the more I get confused.

Unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up on this, unless some sane person tells me how I am suppose to do it.

Looks like everyone on the web is a networking theory expert but they never really tried it practically, maybe for most it was some cut and paste job with missing bits and pieces which we will never know. :D

Sorry I cannot be of help to you but just thought I would share this with you and tell you you are not the only one.

Reaction score
I am certainly no expert on Networking, never having tried it before, but I have set up my Network with BT's Wireless 1250 Modem without any problems at all.

Firstly the Internet connection has to be Broadband and secondly you have to buy the Modem (BT's web site) and adapters, via USB slots, for each Computer and a Laptop adapter for Laptops, total cost around £150 for two computers. Then just follow the instructions that come with the equipment, you should be up and running in 15 mins.

I have two Computers and one Laptop nowhere near each other - all three are online together (you must have an ISP who allows multiple connections) and one can use any of the connected printers whichever Computer is used; files, games etc. can be shared. It works like a dream and a friend of mine has done the same with the same results. The only thing I am not sure about is whether the 1250 Modem would work as well with ISP's other than BT.

Buzzwoody

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Ive got a network setup, sharing a broadband/cable modem with a PC in another room.

All you need is 2 network cards, a router and some network cable. If you have a network card built onto your motherboard that will save you some money :D.

I couldnt do this on my own, even with the instructions so i had to call a mate whos done a few in his time ;). When installing one you have to make sure all your firewalls are off, and in my case (i think) even the router built in firewall had to be turned off :blush:.

It cost about £50 in all, best £50 i spent ;).

It was mucks who recommended me router, i cant remember what its called now, something like a D-Link 304 ?

Reaction score
plug the modem into a hub, the hub into the computers and that way one computer dosent have to be on for the other to get internet.

You can share files too.

Having a Modem Router (ala Netgear DG834) would help as it is all rolled into one.

After that, internet should just be there on both computers, and if you have SP2 on both computers, file sharing is dead easy as the firewall does not block the access. Just run the wizard and your there.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
A "Router" will solve all your 'problems' ... connect everything to it and sit back. ;)

:D

Reaction score
Router is off course the best option ... but u can also use HUB if u just want to sahre modem and file sharing stuff ....

Reaction score
2 options:

1) Plug a wire between the PC's - Use the "share internet connection" to share you internet (you can also share files / printers)

2) Get a router, and plug everything in to in

The downside with number 1, is that one PC needs to be on for the other to access the internet, and it can be unreliable

So i would say you go with number 2

Another thing... if you go with number 1, you do NOT need broadband, a dial-up internet would work

Ask a Question