Sharing information within the same outlook 2003 application

Mike Schoonmaker

I found this message subject from sometime earlier this year, but it
did not have the information I require.

I have an Outlook 2003 application, which has its "contacts" folder. I
synchronize this with my pocket pc application, and all contacts get
synch'd. Good.

I ALSO have a Nokia 6360 phone, which I want to sync only certain
categories of contacts. The Nokia software will not allow me to synch
based upon categories (nor will the pocket pc).

I have already tried and "copied" all contacts of the chosen
categories over to another Folder, which the Nokia softwae can sync
to. However, and changes then need to be made twice!

What I'd LIKE to do, is to "share" (?) the contacts of the chosen
categories between 2 folders - that is, allow ALL the contacts in the
CONTACTS folder, and get another 'view' of them in the "Nokia Sync"
folder.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Sue Mosher [MVP]

That doesn't sound possible, given the limitation of the Nokia software.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Mike Schoonmaker

I'm not sure that the Nokia software is the limitation. If
I can create (2) Contacts folders (which I know that I
can), but 1 of them has "linked" contacts to the other (so
that there is only 1 physical entry, but 2 folders
displaying that entry) then I think I'm home free.

So the real question is not about the Nokia software, but
about how to have Outlook "link" items (contacts, in the
case).

TIA,
Mike

Sue Mosher [MVP]

Outlook has nothing built-in to perform two-way synchronization between copies of the same contacts in two different folders. Now that I think of it, though, you might get by with the free Pocket Contact Synchronizer tool from Microsoft. It copies NOTE: *not* synchronizes) contacts from one folder to another. So you might be able to put contacts in the Nokia folder and use PCS to keep an up-to-date copy in the main Contacts folder. Link at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm#tools
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

Mike Schoonmaker

Thanks, Sue, I'll check it out!
Outlook has nothing built-in to perform two-way
synchronization between copies of the same contacts in two
different folders. Now that I think of it, though, you
might get by with the free Pocket Contact Synchronizer
tool from Microsoft. It copies NOTE: *not* synchronizes)
contacts from one folder to another. So you might be able
to put contacts in the Nokia folder and use PCS to keep an
up-to-date copy in the main Contacts folder. Link at
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm#tools
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of