Sharing an ADSL connection

Noel Ramirez T.

Hi, I am newbie. I have a Windows 2000 Server as a Domain Controller. I wish
to share an ADSL connection among a group of Windows XP Pro workstations.
How could I do it?
Gracias
Noel Ramirez T.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

You have a few of possibilities:
- You can connect the ADSL router to your hub or switch.
This is very simple but it means that each workstation will
need its own firewall.
- You can install a second network adapter in your domain
controller, and make a connection between that adapter
and your ADSL router. This is a little more demanding to
configure but it offers central firewall protection at the
domain controller.
- If you have a hardware firewall then you make a connection
between that firewall and the ADSL router. This is probably
the best method but also the most expensive.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

......about $130 US for a decent Netgear firewall, for what it's worth. And
more secure than using your server as a NAT device.

BeamGuy

Recent prices on firewall routers are more in the $60 range. In fact, best buy recently was
offering a wireless name brand router for about $60, started kicking myself since my
$60 linksys BEFSX41 is not even a month old yet.

Noel Ramirez

We tried the option of installing a second network
adapter. At the workstations, we can navigate through
internet but our Microsoft Outlook can not connect to the
POP server, any help? This drives us crazy :)
Gracias

Cherry Qian

Hi Gracias,

Thank you for the posting again.

As you indicated you access internet but Outlook can not connect to the POP
server,

- Most Internet addresses and connection settings are case sensitive. Check
for correct capitalization.

- Establish your Internet connection, and then start Outlook. If you
receive an error trying to send or receive mail, confirm all of your
Internet Mail settings with your ISP. You may have entered a domain name
server or news server address instead of the mail server.

- Remote Mail configurations may cause unexpected results. If you
configured a service for Remote Mail, you may lose connections, or mail may
not be sent or received as expected.

Based on your description, the Internet connection has established
correctly and the problem lies in the connection to the POP server.
Regarding this, we are providing you with the following suggestions:

Suggestion one: Disable firewall, antivirus
===================================

Firewall, antivirus may disable or block some port which may prevent you
from connecting to the POP server

Suggestion two: ping the POP server
===============================

In order to verify the conneciton to the POP server, please try to ping the
POP server to see if you can connect to it correctly.

If you cannot ping correctly, please check if the POP server name is
correct.

Suggestion three: telnet the POP server
==================================

As for more information and step-by-step instruction on how to use telnet
to check mail connection, please refer to this knowledge base article:

196748 OL2000: How to Use Telnet to Test an Internet Mail Connection
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=196748

More Suggestion:
===============

Here I am providign you with the information and step-by-step intruction to
configure Yahoo POP server. You can check as reference.

254007 OL2000: (IMO) How to Configure Outlook to Use a Yahoo! POP3 Account
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=254007

Hope the above information and suggetion helps and answers your question.
If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Cherry Qian
MCSE2000, MCSA2000, MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so

jia

Joined
Jun 9, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
You have a few of possibilities:
- You can connect the ADSL router to your hub or switch.
This is very simple but it means that each workstation will
need its own firewall.
- You can install a second network adapter in your domain
controller, and make a connection between that adapter
and your ADSL router. This is a little more demanding to
configure but it offers central firewall protection at the
domain controller.
- If you have a hardware firewall then you make a connection
between that firewall and the ADSL router. This is probably
the best method but also the most expensive.

"Noel Ramirez T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:#[email protected]...
> Hi, I am newbie. I have a Windows 2000 Server as a Domain Controller. I

wish
> to share an ADSL connection among a group of Windows XP Pro workstations.
> How could I do it?
> Gracias
> Noel Ramirez T.

Hi Please suggest if I have a net connection through a USB modem on domain controller & need to share it on XP clients