Severe lines present on Monitor.

Reaction score
The Monitor is Acer ( Model AL 1921 LCD. )

The Tower is Acer Aspire ( Model RC900.)

The AGP card is Radeon 9800 SE 128M DDR.

These are the details of my Daughter's PC. the problem initially was the Tower would shut down at random times and on starting up would beep.

I then noticed that the Tower psu fan was clogged with dust as was the main processer's fan, in fact the whole insides needed cleaning as all was thick with dust, this done the PC then performed as normal this was week's ago.

The most recent problem is the Monitor has developed several 25mm Vertical bars top to bottom of screen and spaced 25mm across it sometimes on start-up the screen would be as normal but after a few minutes would return. The screen has now worsened to the point that the icons are barely visible.

I have have excluded the Monitor by substituition and checked the panels / plugs were all seated normally but no luck. Can someone give their thought and advice please.

Thanks.

Reaction score
rarebit said:
The Monitor is Acer ( Model AL 1921 LCD. )

The Tower is Acer Aspire ( Model RC900.)

The AGP card is Radeon 9800 SE 128M DDR.

These are the details of my Daughter's PC. the problem initially was the Tower would shut down at random times and on starting up would beep.

I then noticed that the Tower psu fan was clogged with dust as was the main processer's fan, in fact the whole insides needed cleaning as all was thick with dust, this done the PC then performed as normal this was week's ago.

The most recent problem is the Monitor has developed several 25mm Vertical bars top to bottom of screen and spaced 25mm across it sometimes on start-up the screen would be as normal but after a few minutes would return. The screen has now worsened to the point that the icons are barely visible.

I have have excluded the Monitor by substituition and checked the panels / plugs were all seated normally but no luck. Can someone give their thought and advice please.

Thanks.

Hi Rarebit, have you taken the GFX card out and seen what heppens just with onboard graphics..?MIght be the card on its way out...

Reaction score
Hi Max,
i did what you suggested and removed the graphics card then used the VGA skt's and now the screen is ok.

Much appreciated Max.

Reaction score
Try cleaning the card down aswell if you haven't already done so. It maybe a case or dust clogging vents or the fins on Heatsink aswell

:)

GJ Madx

Reaction score
:) Triple x ,

my Daughter's 2.5 Kw Hoover removed all the cobweb's & dust & there were much... from the Tower's internals, as an aside this PC was fitted into a long cubicle type wall unit.

The result being all that can be seen on the front end ie dvd vtr stacking systems etc were given a wipe down.

The most important part's being missed Ventilation.

Reaction score
Did you take the card out and strip it down around the heatsink and fan areas and looked for blocked fins>?

Reaction score
Yes i did remove this card and cleaned it spik & span... (stripping it down) ? ...including heatsink fins.

As a former tv/vtr/eng it helps a little.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, the suggestion by Madx gave me the answer to x or y now my Daughter is quite happy using Her PC the way it is presently...Online Forum's.:)

Ask a Question