monitor wont turn on

Reaction score
Ok so I have no clue what just happened...I opened up my tower after shutting off power etc. to install an ethernet card into my PC. I removed my monitor cable as I have done pretty often bc I use it with my laptop sometimes and removed it this time bc the cord wasnt long enough for me to pull out my tower so I could work on it. Anyway, so I install my ethernet card...close it back up...reconnect everything and ...my computer boots up goes to desktop but my monitor will not turn on. It just blinks the green light. My monitor works just fine and it still works on my laptop so that isnt the problem. My monitor worked with my PC yesterday no problem and has been working for months.
Im just completely puzzled as to what may have happened? I didnt touch anything but my ethernet card.
Could I have damaged my videocard somehow? Is that even possible when I didnt touch anything? COuld it have been static? Please any help on this would be great...I just have no clue what happened bc I didnt even do anything! Now when I turn my PC on it loads up to my desktop but I cant see it so I have to blindly shut my computer down by guessing using my keyboard and the start menu button on the keyboard.

Sigh...thanks for reading! Any solutions would be great!

Reaction score
It might be that your power supply isnt adequate to run all that internal hardware..

hmm, other suggestions anyone?

Reaction score
Hmmm perhaps ya. But the power supply has been OK till now, no problems. I also tried removing the ethernet card I installed to bring things back to the way they were but the monitor is still not working.
Could I have damaged it somehow without knowing it? Is it that delicate?

Reaction score
Btw thanks Michael! I appreciate the info and will look into it as I keep trying to figure it out

Reaction score
thats fine :)

did you install any software with the card?

I dont think you have damaged anything, unless you were pretty violent when inserting the card. If it was static, then i think the problem would be more serious.

Reaction score
No I dont think I was violent enough...and ya I figured static woulda shut everything down not only my monitor or video card slot...
Nope, no software installed with it. I just stuck it in and closed it up to see if my PC detected it and that's when my monitor stopped working...it's a bit of a mystery to me. I checked the monitor port to see if the metal thingys were bent or anything but nope..everything looks OK. I tried making sure everything was tightly in place...all cables, and cards. so that nothing is loose. But still...And since it works with my laptop, I figure it is my PC that is the problem for sure.

Reaction score
A cool 1,000 posts

hm.. does the pc make any unusual beeps or sounds when it starts up?

:confused:

Try a different monitor to see if it works on the pc

Reaction score
nope no unsual beeps...i can tell it is loading to desktop and then i blindly fumble and try to turn it off but sometimes end up putting it in sleep mode...so its loading, quickly and shutting down properly too.
Ya a different monitor would be ideal but I only have one at home..the other one is busted. May need to get a computer guy to come look at it and let him do it just bc he'll have the equipment to do it. I just wanted to avoid that and figure it out myself or with the help from a forum like this...Im gonna keep trying. Maybe make sure one more time that everything is as it was before i put the ethernet card in...

Reaction score
Open up your PC case and double check the connections and if necessary remove any wires involved and reconnect them.

Reaction score
So it turned out that the motherboard and videocard were loose enough to screw things up. I hadnt noticted that part of the videocard was not properly connected. Musta come out when I was installing/removing stuff! Thanks for the help!!

Ask a Question