From: "Jacqui" <[email protected]>
Subject: Setting up a printer to print from DOS
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:58:08 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

I have a dos based program which I run from W2k, however,
I cannot print any reports from it. Any ideas on how to
make the printer print Dos from W2k.
--

Jacqui,

Is the printer physically connected to the Windows 2000 system, either by LPT or USB, or is it a network printer? If it is a
network printer are we setup as a Network printer or are we using a Standard TCP/IP Port to print to it?

I asked the above becuase normally a DOS program will print to LPT and if the printer is physically connected to LPT1
then it should print. If we are connected to another port, USB or Standard TCP/IP, or if it is a Network printer then we have to
setup the system so LPT1 is redirected to these other locations. For a Network printer we can use the "net use" command
to redirect LPT1 directly to the printer share on the network. If using another port we can share our local print queue and
then use "net use" to redirect LPT1 to our own printer share.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Thank you very much for your reply, yes we have the
printer setup on a network using TCP/IP, I now have it set
up for both, and it now prints, so thank you very much.
[...]

newsgroup/thread

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Setting up a printer to print from DOS
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:47:31 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Thank you very much for your reply, yes we have the
printer setup on a network using TCP/IP, I now have it set
up for both, and it now prints, so thank you very much.
--

Your welcome. I'm glad to hear it is working.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bruce Sanderson

For printers on USB and Standard TCP/IP ports, the printer can be logically
mapped to LPT1 (for Command Prompt or emulated DOS printing) by enabling
"Printer Pooling" (see 2.a at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm). This is often useful
when there is otherwise no need to create a Share for the printer.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.