DOS printing

  • Start date Start date

Bill H.

How do I configure win 2k such that printing to lpt1 from a DOS program
actually goes to a printer?

I have a locally connected printer to LPT1 and also several printers out on
other networked Windows computers.

Thanks.

New problem.

Did that. In the meantime, my computer has been rebooted, etc., and the
captured printer has also been turned off and on periodically.

Now, I want to print via the DOS program to lpt2 and can't. When I run the
NET USE command in a dos window, it reports:

Disconnected LPT2 \\computername\printername Microsoft
Windows Network

The printer is connected, at least from Window's point of view, because I
can print to it via Windows programs, and a test page will also print.

If I try to run the NET USE command to set up printing again, it says:

The local device name is already in use.

So, how do I "reconnect" this printer?

Thanks.

Cari (MS-MVP) said:
See Bruce Sanderson's article at:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Bill H." wrote in message

You may want to have a look at Printfil to make things easier.

You can find more info and a free trial version to download at
http://www.printfil.com

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
aSwIt s.r.l.
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.printfil.com
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.aswit.com/odbc4all
@Kill - Batch Close Windows Applications - Freeware
http://www.aswit.com/akill

Bill H. said:
New problem.

Did that. In the meantime, my computer has been rebooted, etc., and the
captured printer has also been turned off and on periodically.

Now, I want to print via the DOS program to lpt2 and can't. When I run
the
NET USE command in a dos window, it reports:

Disconnected LPT2 \\computername\printername Microsoft
Windows Network

The printer is connected, at least from Window's point of view, because I
can print to it via Windows programs, and a test page will also print.

If I try to run the NET USE command to set up printing again, it says:

The local device name is already in use.

So, how do I "reconnect" this printer?

Thanks.

Doesn't make much easier.

I tried it, rebooted, and now the captured port says "disconnected." :-)

Having used the NET USE command to assign a printer port to a printer, how
do I Unassign that port?

And, how do I "reconnect" a disconnected port?

Thx.

net use /?
NET USE
[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

net use LPT1: /delete

--
Alan Morris