setting HDD to boot from BIOS - please help

Adam

Anyone know how I need to set the BIOS in order to
get my system to boot from the 120 GB HDD that
is "not" connected to the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card?

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Adam said:
Anyone know how I need to set the BIOS in order to
get my system to boot from the 120 GB HDD that
is "not" connected to the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card?

You need to set this in the Maxtor card's BIOS, or
convince it in some other way to not boot from a disk
connected to it. One thing you can try is to set
all partitions on the Maxtor controler attached disks
to non-active. (Under Linux, ''fdisk'' does this.
Maybe windows fdisk can do this as well?)

Under Windows typically only the first partition on
a disk is active and AFAIK windows requires its boot
partition to be active.

The reason why you cannto do this in the board BIOS is that
the controller BIOS can override the board BIOS on
this.

I think having no active partition will not cause
the controller to stop booting from disks, but the
MBR code will conclude the disk is unbootable and
the overall process will continue, giving boot device
selection back to the main BIOS.

Arno

Stretch

Adam wrote in news:[email protected]
Anyone know how I need to set the BIOS in order to
get my system to boot from the 120 GB HDD that
is "not" connected to the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card?

You set it back to whatever was the setting that prompted you to the first question.

Adam

Actually, after trial and error, it came to light that
changing the boot sequence ...
("IDE Hard Drive" before "Other Boot Device") in the BIOS worked.