Is Ultra EIDE ATA/133 compatible on Ultra ATA-33 40 Pin IDE/EIDE board?

Thumper

I tried to connect a Maxtor Ultra EIDE ATA/133 120GB hard drive to my
old Asus P2B mobo. During boot, bios message says "Detecting HDD" but
it never goes beyond the screen. I tried as Master and Slave, but same
message (different line).

Are ATA/133 drives compatible with older motherboards?

(The 10GB IBM Deskstar Ultra ATA-33 40 Pin IDE/EIDE works just fine on
that mobo.)

Arno Wagner

Previously Thumper said:
I tried to connect a Maxtor Ultra EIDE ATA/133 120GB hard drive to my
old Asus P2B mobo. During boot, bios message says "Detecting HDD" but
it never goes beyond the screen. I tried as Master and Slave, but same
message (different line).
Are ATA/133 drives compatible with older motherboards?
(The 10GB IBM Deskstar Ultra ATA-33 40 Pin IDE/EIDE works just fine on
that mobo.)

The ATA133 should not be the issue, since the disk will
just negothiate a slower speed with thje mainboard if not
supported. However I suspect that 120GB is over the BIOS
disksize limit for that board.

The way to get around that is either a BIOS update or an IDE controller
card with its own BIOS.

Arno

Impmon

I tried to connect a Maxtor Ultra EIDE ATA/133 120GB hard drive to my
old Asus P2B mobo. During boot, bios message says "Detecting HDD" but
it never goes beyond the screen. I tried as Master and Slave, but same
message (different line).

Are ATA/133 drives compatible with older motherboards?

(The 10GB IBM Deskstar Ultra ATA-33 40 Pin IDE/EIDE works just fine on
that mobo.)

Normally ATA133 will be fine on older ATA 33 hardware but older BIOS
are NOT fine with large capacity drives. With any luck, your BIOS has
max limit of 32GB and bombs on any hard drive larger.

Andy

I tried to connect a Maxtor Ultra EIDE ATA/133 120GB hard drive to my
old Asus P2B mobo. During boot, bios message says "Detecting HDD" but
it never goes beyond the screen. I tried as Master and Slave, but same
message (different line).

Are ATA/133 drives compatible with older motherboards?

(The 10GB IBM Deskstar Ultra ATA-33 40 Pin IDE/EIDE works just fine on
that mobo.)

If you're not trying to boot from the 120GB disk, set the BIOS to not
detect it.

Folkert Rienstra

The ATA133 should not be the issue, since the disk will just
negothiate a slower speed with thje mainboard if not supported.

It's the other way around, you moron babblebot.

Andy

Disabling the channel in BIOS will not see it in the OS either.

Stopping the BIOS from looking for devices connected to an IDE port
that is not disabled isn't the same as disabling the port.

Folkert Rienstra

Andy wrote in message news:[email protected]
Stopping the BIOS from looking for devices connected to an IDE port

Well, that's not what it does.
What it does is to 'not include', ie omit, that device in the BIOS device list.
that is not disabled isn't the same as disabling the port.

Exactly. And doing so will not prevent it from reading the size and hang.
The only way for the bios (lowercase) to not touch it is to disable the channel.