Set Associations control panel

Tea

This might be a no brainer for you all but I need help! Where do I find the
Set Associations control panel? I received an email with what appears to be
a .doc (126 KB) attachment and when I try to open it get the error message-
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." I
would love to if I knew how.... It is a Vista system. Thanks

dev

/Tea/ said:
This might be a no brainer for you all but I need help! Where do I find the
Set Associations control panel? I received an email with what appears to be
a .doc (126 KB) attachment and when I try to open it get the error message-
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." I
would love to if I knew how.... It is a Vista system. Thanks

Save the DOC file to disk, then double-click on it. When asked which
program, browse to WORD or the WORD viewer. Click on OK.

File extensions are found under CONTROL PANEL|DEFAULT PROGRAMS (or get
there via the Start menu).

hubert soliveres

I have the same problem.
Winmails does not open joined files .pps although this type of file is
already associated to powerpoint in Vista OS?
Thank you if you'hve got a solution;

Yes, saving to a disk does work but is cumbersome. I don't have the problem
with a .pdf file nor did I have the problem with Windows XP. There has to be
a solution so that you can open up a word file while in email on this
"blessed" Vista system?????

DGuess

Try this one first:

Save a .doc file.
Right click on it and select Open with...
Select Choose Default..
Select Word and check the box to always use

If not, you can get the File types before and check or set the association:
Control Panel | Default Programs | Associate filetype or protocol with a
program

"set associations control panel" <set associations control

Help. I have an e-mailed xls I am trying to convert to a vista spreadsheet. I
am having no luck. Please e-mail me if possible at
(e-mail address removed)

dev

/Associate settings in vista/ said:
Help. I have an e-mailed xls I am trying to convert to a vista spreadsheet. I
am having no luck. Please e-mail me if possible at
(e-mail address removed)

There is no such thing as a "Vista spreadsheet." There are only
spreadsheet programs that may run under Vista, XP or other operating
systems.

Install a Vista-compatible spreadsheet program. Then from within the
program attempt to open the .xls file.

dev

/Associate settings in vista/ said:
Help. I have an e-mailed xls I am trying to convert to a vista spreadsheet. I
am having no luck. Please e-mail me if possible at

There is no such thing as a "Vista spreadsheet." There are only
spreadsheet programs that run under Vista, XP or other operating systems.

Install a Vista-compatible spreadsheet program. Then from within the
program attempt to open the .xls file.

It is not wise to include an e-mail address in newsgroups postings, as
spammers may harvest it. Questions here are answered within the group
itself, as a reply to your question.

When trying to open an attached .doc fails, the address of the attachment is
given as C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\U0GG9284\etc. The Microsoft\Windows items are not needed
in the address and you will not find the file if you include those items.
If you look instead at C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\U0GG9284\etc you will see the attachment.

I think that this is why the open fails. It also explains why saving the
attachment and then opening it works.

There is no problem with the file associations - it seems to be Vista
messing up the addresses!

All this about the file associations not set, etc. does not help a bit. You
can set the associations as suggested and you still would not be able to open
..doc and .xls files in windows mail on a \vista system. It is a pain!!!

Gary VanderMolen

All I can tell you is that it works fine on my three Vista
computers.

"Tea", Set Associations is a sub-function of Default Programs
(also in Control Panel).

Gary VanderMolen

hubert soliveres said:
I have the same problem.
Winmails does not open joined files .pps although this type of file is
already associated to powerpoint in Vista OS?
Thank you if you'hve got a solution;

My Windows mail is doing this very thing.

As you say below, it is Windows Vista messing up the addressing, how do I
correct this. As it is screwing up my being able to send email out to some
of my contacts..

Thanks Charmaine
(e-mail address removed)

Gary VanderMolen

Instead of using a "me too" statement, please describe your issue in detail,
complete with any error messages.

bobo

Tea said:
This might be a no brainer for you all but I need help! Where do I find the
Set Associations control panel? I received an email with what appears to be
a .doc (126 KB) attachment and when I try to open it get the error message-
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." I
would love to if I knew how.... It is a Vista system. Thanks

Gary VanderMolen

Before you check Set Associations, you need to determine whether
you are able to save the attachment, then can you open the saved file
by double-clicking on it? Failure of a document to open inside Windows
Mail as opposed to failure to open outside of Windows Mail is two
different problems with different solutions.

For the latter, you need to ensure you have the appropriate app that
will open that type of document. You didn't say if you had Word or the
free Word Viewer installed.

If the document opens outside WM, but not inside WM, take a look
at this fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/232/1/Unable-to-open-DOC-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html