Server/Main printer will not print at all; disappears off server

Reaction score
Here's my configuration:

Windows Small Business Server 2003
All XP Pro clients
HP LaserJet 2200DT connected to server on LPT1, shared, and published, and installed with clients with the PCL6 driver that HP says Windows SBS 2003 and XP Pro clients should be using.

Here's my problem:

The printer will print with no problems for a day it seems. Then the next day anything that is printed becomes an error in the print queue. I am not able to print test pages, DOS pages, or any other item either from the server or from any clients.

What I've tried

1. I've tried cancelling all the documents in the print queue, clearing out the system32/spool/printers folder, and stopping and restarting the spool service. No luck.

2. Of course, powering off and on the printer to clear the memory.

3. Finally, restarting the server - which obviously restarts some service or port because it then starts working again. However, I can't be restarting the server all the time.

I cannot determine what triggers the error (e.g. a software program) because the error arises from any type of document including notepad, test prints, excel, quickbooks, etc.

I read online somewhere that having a printer installed on a UPS could cause some weird problems and my printer is on a UPS - is this the problem you think?

My questions

1. Please help me diagnose and fix the problem.
2. What is the best way to refresh all printing services (if that makes sense). In other words, if my printer konks out, what processes can I follow to get it going again without restarting the server?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Brian :confused: :confused:

Reaction score
Sorry - the second part of my title was printer "disappears off server" - this just happened last night. I don't know why this would happen either. It happened while I was accessing the server remotely.

Ask a Question