Server cost

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I regularly play CoD4 & CoD5 online on my Vista machine, good fun.

Very very rarely I will play CoD1 & CoD2 online on my XP machine.

Tonight I played a little CoD2 and the servers I could access numbered less than 12 and most were single map or only custom maps.

I kinda got nostalgic for a server that offered all CoD2 maps and weapons plus a few select really good custom maps, they seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

So I wondered how much it would be to host a CoD2 server, let's say for example, the pricing for 12 players and 20 players.

I haven't the first faintest clue how to go about it or where to look but I'm seriously considering this.

Maybe we could even have a PCR UK team, who knows.

All advice/links apreciated.

Any outfits selling server space/slots spamming here will have their posts deleted and be instantly banned btw, I only want trusted server providers recommended.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R is probably the expert when it comes to game servers, so he'll no doubt know who the best companies are :thumb:

I don't know what the bandwidth of a COD2 slot would be, but are you able to host your own server on your connection - or would that only support a few players?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I don't know what the bandwidth of a COD2 slot would be, but are you able to host your own server on your connection - or would that only support a few players?

I have absolutely no idea. Which is why I'm asking ;)

Reaction score
Hosting a home server will probably hammer your personal bandwidth so if you are restricted it may cause problems. Most ISP's provide you with a limited UL speed to purposely prevent you from running FTP's and games servers and alike it's a big rip off this is why people have to pay for a personal server to be hosted by a company to allow the extra speed on hosting

Ideally and i'm sure V_R will correct me if i'm wrong to host, a speed of approx 25kbps to 40kbps per gamer is needed to prevent any lag and loss of fluidity during the game, even then explosions and things can casue problems if someone decides to spam hte game map with grenades or whatnot.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Forget about hosting a server at home, you would only be able to serve for 4 maybe 5 players tops.

As for prices it basically comes down to pence per slot.

You generally have to spend more for debranding (removing the host name from the server name) and a few other services depending on host. If you sign up for a month by month deal you pay more, 6 months or a year at a time and it gets cheaper.

They will have deals and offers or 'clan packages' worth looking at too, say 2 servers + vent or TS up to so many slots, more is extra, though you may not want/need a voice server.

I've used GTX before, good servers. cheap.
http://www.gtxgaming.co.uk/game-servers

Month by month = 50p a slot for cod2 so your looking at a tenner for a 20 man server. Then maybe add a little more for any extras (prices and so on depend on the GSP though)

Also use Gaming Deluxe, little more pricey but very good.
http://www.gamingdeluxe.co.uk/game-servers/

54p a slot so a little more than the above. Much the same kind of deals though.

Saying that, you will find they can or may offer you a bespoke custom deal to suite your needs. ;)

If you want to do custom maps/mods then you will have to have a redirect (fast download) as downloading off the server your playing on is limited to 12kb/s ;)

You will need to upload the maps and mods to both the redirect and the server, so you'll need bandwidth and an FTP client. :)

Thats the basics of it all, there is more to it, like setting up the server.cfg, punkbuster and mods settings etc, but will worry about that later.

Any more questions just ask i'm sure i can answer any of them. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks V_R, I'll check out those sites.

Not familiar with these terms:

2 servers + vent or TS
gsp
redirect

This is a good start though, I shall investigate.

I would specifically not want voice, some of those idiots get on me wick with their inane babble ;)

Maybe just a stock setup, all maps, all weapons and if it worked out think about custom maps later.

Reaction score
Servers are your server that the game is being installed and hosted from

TS = TEAMSPEAK

Vent = Ventrillo

Both are comms programs to allow voice interaction with anyone that joins them. Usually specific to your game

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Servers are your server that the game is being installed and hosted from

TS = TEAMSPEAK

Vent = Ventrillo

Both are comms programs to allow voice interaction with anyone that joins them. Usually specific to your game

Thanks for that TD, I was familiar with what the server was, lol, it was the other stuff so I just quoted the line.

Also I'm assuming two servers needed as one would be standard maps the other custom maps?

Reaction score
Not sure about needing two server. V_R more proficient on that one. I think he was sugesting two for host of maps and mods etc

Maybe running a game server on one the other using it for an FTP and comms

However a simple FTP can be run from home really aslong and hundreds of people arent accessing it you would be fine. I used to run one. Each person can have their own access and password if u so wish and you can keep track of all downloads

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Thanks V_R, I'll check out those sites.

Not familiar with these terms:

2 servers + vent or TS
gsp
redirect
Ventrilo and Teamspeak are voice comms software. Kinda like skype. Can be password protected so only you and your mates or clanmates can get on. If you want to try it your welcome on my Vent server anytime. :) (vent is far better IMO BTW)

GSP = Games Server Provider

Redirect = Like a mirror for the downloads of maps etc, Think webspace that you add content to via FTP. Think when you join a server and you dont have the map it downloads it as fast as possible? Thats a redirect. You wont and cant host maps without one.

I would specifically not want voice, some of those idiots get on me wick with their inane babble ;)
Ah, i suspect you mean the ingame voice that some servers like to use, donw worry that can be turned off in the game options (so you cant here them) or in the server.cfg so it cant be used. :)

Maybe just a stock setup, all maps, all weapons and if it worked out think about custom maps later.
can do that is by far the easiest set up and very little 'work' is needed to get it up and running. Just getting PB running and the server streaming to PBBans and or Punksbusted it your main priority, this will keep the majority of hackers away, but if your server get popular they will turn up now and again. Sadly.... :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Also I'm assuming two servers needed as one would be standard maps the other custom maps?
That was just an example, the server can be changed quite easily between the mods via the control panel. So it can be stock one minute and modded with maps the next.

If you like check out this link which is a demo of the TCAdmin panel you would use. Altough some of the usual options are missing in that one like the Command line changer (Use to swith between mods)

http://www.tcadmin.com:8080/Templates/Default/user_home.aspx

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I still play COD2 single player every now and again but don't often play it online (I get killed to quick) I would certainly use a dedicated PCR server if there was one..
nod.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If there is enough interest, i'd be more than happy to set up and run it, would like to see some kind of donation though. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R, thanks for all the pointers, I will probably give this a go, just need to do a bit of studying. Will likely go for 3 or 6 months trial to see how it goes.

If I do setup a server, I will do it myself as this desire came not only from there being a lack of servers but also by by being banned from my favourite server by some lowlife who falsely accused me of both camping and cheating.

Some spotty sexually frustrated German youth who if I were to meet in real life I would hurt him a little bit :)

I'm forming an idea, I know CoD2 is old now but I enjoy it and where I am there are few servers.

My server, in this idea, would have all maps, all weapons, no rules, no bias against camping, bunny hopping, anything basically, as long as it's not cheating.

I'm not biased against how people want to play, I think gameplay should be open. If peeps want to camp, hell, let the saddos do it, it's a free planet, lol

Also any constant uneccessary swearers or racist bastids I would ban.

All cheaters would also get banned of course.

I have played with Admin rights on a CoD2 server with BBF Forum and banned a few there who were obviously hacking I would do the same again.

For the first few months I will not require donations.

If it works and people like it, I'll ask for cash.

If nobody wants to pay but I'm enjoying it, hell, I'll pay anyway.

This is where I'm coming from, hope it makes sense :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Far do's mate. :)

If you need anything just shout. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Some spotty sexually frustrated German youth who if I were to meet in real life I would hurt him a little bit:)
That made me laugh Flopp's, (He obviously didn't like Englanders!) you bitter twisted man you..:D
laughingsmiley.gif
lol ha ha

Flopp's said:
For the first few months I will not require donations.
If it works and people like it, I'll ask for cash.
If nobody wants to pay but I'm enjoying it, hell, I'll pay anyway.:)
I can donate it won't be a lot, but every little helps right..
nod.gif

Ask a Question