Server 2003 SP1 & Office 2000 problems

Adrian

We applied SP1 for Windows Server 2003 to our Terminal Server and Word,
Excel etc no longer worked (mostly opened then closed with nothing in the
Event Log) for users unless they were given Admin rights.

We have uninstalled SP1 and Office is working again.

I have seen a few references to this issue, but no resolution.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Adrian

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Adrian,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, after you applied the SP1 for Windows Server 2003 Terminal
Server, you cannot run Word 200 or Excel 2000 unless they have Admin
rights. If you removed the SP1, Office 2000 is working again.

At this moment, I'd like to suggest you reinstall Office 2000 on the
Terminal Server to see if it can help. For more information about how to
reinstall Office 2000 on a terminal server, you may refer to the following
articles:

264625: How to install or repair individual features of Office 2000

283675: Installing Office 2000 on Terminal Server on a Windows Server
2003-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;283675

217640: You receive a "Some default settings in Microsoft Office 2000 setup
do not work properly on a Windows Terminal Server" error message when you
install Office 2000 on a Windows Terminal Server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/217640/en-us

Meanwhile, I know you are encountering the issue after you applied the
latest update. I also understand if you removed and reinstalled the update,
you got the same errors. Based on your current situation, we suspect the
issue is related to the security updates. Therefore, I'd like provide you
with the following information to support this kind of issue:

1. If you are in the U.S. and Canada, you can receive technical support
from Microsoft Product Support Services
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21131) at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is
no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.

2. Our international customers can receive support from their local
Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated
with security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft
for support issues, visit the International Support Web site
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155).

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Adrian" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Server 2003 SP1 & Office 2000 problems
| Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:15:08 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
|
| We applied SP1 for Windows Server 2003 to our Terminal Server and Word,
| Excel etc no longer worked (mostly opened then closed with nothing in the
| Event Log) for users unless they were given Admin rights.
|
| We have uninstalled SP1 and Office is working again.
|
| I have seen a few references to this issue, but no resolution.
|
| Any advice greatly appreciated.
|
| Adrian

Adrian

Ken,

Thank you for your email.

From the other posts I have seen on this issue a reinstall has not worked.

As you have suggested it is probably a security issue. Hopefully someone may
have the answer, if not I will have to contact Microsoft.

Adrian.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your reply!

Please try to repair or reinstall Office 2000 to see if it can help. If the
issue persists, please feel free to contact us.

Hope that help!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Adrian" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Server 2003 SP1 & Office 2000 problems
| Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:36:22 -0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
|
| Ken,
|
| Thank you for your email.

| From the other posts I have seen on this issue a reinstall has not worked.
|
| As you have suggested it is probably a security issue. Hopefully someone
may
| have the answer, if not I will have to contact Microsoft.
|
| Adrian.
|

| | > Hello Adrian,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, after you applied the SP1 for Windows Server 2003
Terminal
| > Server, you cannot run Word 200 or Excel 2000 unless they have Admin
| > rights. If you removed the SP1, Office 2000 is working again.
| >
| > At this moment, I'd like to suggest you reinstall Office 2000 on the
| > Terminal Server to see if it can help. For more information about how to
| > reinstall Office 2000 on a terminal server, you may refer to the
following
| > articles:
| >
| > 264625: How to install or repair individual features of Office 2000
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264625/EN-US/
| >
| > 283675: Installing Office 2000 on Terminal Server on a Windows Server
| > 2003-Based Computer
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;283675
| >
| > 217640: You receive a "Some default settings in Microsoft Office 2000
| > setup
| > do not work properly on a Windows Terminal Server" error message when
you
| > install Office 2000 on a Windows Terminal Server
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/217640/en-us
| >
| > Meanwhile, I know you are encountering the issue after you applied the
| > latest update. I also understand if you removed and reinstalled the
| > update,
| > you got the same errors. Based on your current situation, we suspect the
| > issue is related to the security updates. Therefore, I'd like provide
you
| > with the following information to support this kind of issue:
| >
| > 1. If you are in the U.S. and Canada, you can receive technical support
| > from Microsoft Product Support Services
| > (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21131) at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There
is
| > no charge for support calls that are associated with security updates.
| >
| > 2. Our international customers can receive support from their local
| > Microsoft subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is
associated
| > with security updates. For more information about how to contact
Microsoft
| > for support issues, visit the International Support Web site
| > (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155).
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Adrian" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Server 2003 SP1 & Office 2000 problems
| > | Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:15:08 -0000
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps
| > |
| > | We applied SP1 for Windows Server 2003 to our Terminal Server and
Word,
| > | Excel etc no longer worked (mostly opened then closed with nothing in
| > the
| > | Event Log) for users unless they were given Admin rights.
| > |
| > | We have uninstalled SP1 and Office is working again.
| > |
| > | I have seen a few references to this issue, but no resolution.
| > |
| > | Any advice greatly appreciated.
| > |
| > | Adrian