Serious Win XP Home SP2 recovery problem

Because of repeated errors I decided to reinstall Windows XP Home SP2
through a set of recovery CD's provided by the PC manufacturer. (I do not
have a regular installation CD.) I backed up my My Documents folder to my
external hard drive in a cut and paste operation in Windows Explorer that I
have performed successfully in the past.

I selected a so-called destructive recovery and, as expected, was warned
that a full format would be conducted with the loss of all data. (I doubt
that any such format occurred, but that's another issue.) I proceeded as in
the past umpteen times I have had to use system recovery.

I set about reinstalling and updating my most important applications. Then
I transferred the contents of my backup to the new My Documents folder. It
went as expected. Next, I set about reinstalling my other applications.

One of those was Google Picasa. I had it search "My Documents" for photos
and other images. It found and indexed some images that I didn't want in
Picasa. This was expected. However it didn't find any of the more than 3000
photos in "My Pictures."

I opened Windows Explorer and found that the My Pictures subfolders I had
set up were present. All were empty. I checked my other document folders
and found the correct folders, which also were empty. I had backed up my
"Bookmarks" folder. While the subfolders were there, none of my over 1000
bookmarks were present either.

It looked like a complete disaster, or so I thought.

A few days later I opened Picasa. To my surprise and delight, Picasa found
and indexed all of my missing photos! I concluded that they had to be on the
drive, just not accessable in Windows Explorer. I confirmed this by
searching for individual photos by name in both Google Desktop Search and
Windows Search. Both found the photos sought.

Next I searched for music files by the name of the artist. They also were
found. I repeated all of these searches on my external hard drive with the
same results.

I believe that all of my missing files are on both hard drives. I don't
know whether to blame Windows for screwing up the back up and restore
operations or the manufacturer's recovery software for screwing up the
reinstallation of Windows.

This is the worst PC screw-up I have ever encountered in 15 years of using
most of the Windows versions available in that period.

BTW, I could perform another system recovery, but in light of my latest
experience I am somewhat reluctant to use it.

I would appreciate some advice about this unacceptable situation and what I
might do to correct it.

C J.

Your post is kind of confusing...

To me - it sounds like a reboot might have cleared up the first problem you
encountered with Google Picasa not being able to find all your images after
you moved them back from ext drive into the new "My Documents" folder

Rather than use NTBackup, you copied the contents of your old My Documents
folder to your external drive correct? Are you still experiencing problems
finding or viewing any files and folders you transferred to the external
drive? Did you disconnect the ext drive before you re-installed Windows -
or did you leave it connected?

To your recollection - what were the repeated errors you were experiencing
before you did your clean install a.k.a Destructive Recovery?

well, sounds like you current
method for recovery is successful
and will likely work for you
again in the future.

however, what you might want to
do, is to maybe streamlining and or
automating the method for protecting
your personal files, like documents,
pics, bookmarks and emails.
are backup'd on a regular basis.

that way if the time comes that
you have to restore the computer
to it's factory settings "again", you won't
have to add the frustrations and the fear
of loosing your personal files at the last
minute.

also, you may want to keep
copies of downloads of programs,
like your picasa and others as
well so they will be handy for
reinstallation after the o.s. is
up and running again. a freeware
called "free download manager"
saves your downloads in a directory
you specify. so you may want
to make a new folder for them
under MyDocuments as well.

other than that, there is no
real point in making suggestions
when your options are limited
to the use of "factory restore disks"

however, you may want to begin
figuring out why you must
result to frequent recoveries and
correct the problem.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:

..

"sleeplessinnewjersey" <[email protected]>