Second Jobs

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
psd99 you're in the dark ages.

The true art of bouncing is to diffuse a situation, not cause a situation.

If club-goers don't see or hear violence they will feel secure and continue to give a club their patronage. If they regularly see bouncers steaming into people, the club will go bust.

I've seen doormen ideal for the situation and I've seen complete idiots who fancy themselves and seem permanently up for it.

But mostly these days it's not about being hard but keeping the peace.

View the film 'Roadhouse' for further enlightenment.

Myself, I still have a chipped front tooth from where a bouncer knocked me on my back with a swift right hander at the door to a night club in Hastings when I was nineteen. He must have been wearing a ring I suppose because apart from the chipped tooth I was covered in claret.

I was a little out of order I suppose, drunkish, but I don't think I deserved that. Later that year I broke three of the club's windows as revenge.

Never did see him at that club again, funnily enough, and I went there on and off for years.

You always have an interesting story there Flopps love it!

Well when I was at university I used to dislike bouncers so much. Yes they are there to diffuse situations but they can also incite a lot of hatred too. Isn't that right madxgraphics? :)

I'll look out for Roadhouse. I bet it is one of those classic 70's films. Right up your street Flopps!

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Yeah it does come as part of the job..Thats for sure, and generally the rude, bad tempered, agressive door supervisors arethe ones that have not had the correct training..Violence and aggression should be the last reort to defuse the situation..And fortunately I have never had to resort to either..And i've had everything from been kicked in the b*llox by a p*ssed of northern lass, because her fella was ejected to been spat in the face by some spotted hooded youth down south, who did it for no other reason, than he thought he would be able to prevoke a reaction from me..

Yikes sounds like some excitement! I bet you get some right pykies come up against you lot. Ever been involved in a mass brawl? Do you and your colleages ever feel like beating someone up hard? I bet you get provoked a LOT!

Okay then something totally different do you know a good recipe for simple apple pie?

We got lots of garden apples.

Reaction score
psd99 said:
You always have an interesting story there Flopps love it!

Well when I was at university I used to dislike bouncers so much. Yes they are there to diffuse situations but they can also incite a lot of hatred too. Isn't that right madxgraphics? :)

I'll look out for Roadhouse. I bet it is one of those classic 70's films. Right up your street Flopps!

There ya go then, you answered your own question..You were at Uni..You thought you knew everything and thought you were bigger, better and harder than everybody..As Flopps says those days are gone..
As fro Road House erm Patrick Swayze, 1989, so emr no not a 70's movie

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
psd99 , my brother in law and 2 cousins are "Door Supervisors" ex Bouncers...in Hanley/Newcastle ..staffs -same thing ..they all agree there is some hatred against foreigners cited by "british men" all the time and they know D/supervisors ...bouncers who take pleasure in fuelling hatred...at the end of the day they are there to do a "job"...take it as you read it..and at the end of the night would all like to see the person(s) who gave them the most jip ...After all they all like violence and more so violence that is allowed :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I was asked if I would like to take on the role of Front of House on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at the local Brewery Arts Center a decade or so ago. As they were having troubles with the rowdy 5 or 600 teenagers who went there.
I did the job for two and a half years and only had one spot of bother. Which I recieved a compliment from the local constabulary for the way I handled the situation.
Don't know why I never had trouble. Maybe word got out that I ran a small martial arts club or me biker neighbour may have been telling folks that I was pretty darn crazy, duno it has always puzzled me.

:D

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Don't know why I never had trouble. Maybe word got out that I ran a small martial arts club or me biker neighbour may have been telling folks that I was pretty darn crazy, duno it has always puzzled me.

:D

I definately doesn't help when the locals know that..Where I live i'm known for been a bit of a tasty kickboxer, so generally don't work the places around there..I think the guys around there do try you a bit more when they know stuff like that..

Reaction score
psd99 said:
Yikes sounds like some excitement! I bet you get some right pykies come up against you lot. Ever been involved in a mass brawl? Do you and your colleages ever feel like beating someone up hard? I bet you get provoked a LOT!

Okay then something totally different do you know a good recipe for simple apple pie?

We got lots of garden apples.

I prefer not to use the term P*key, not really nice..It can be exciting, but in a different way to what you think..I like sen the embarrasment in peoples faces when they try prevoke you infront of their friends, and you make a fool out of them by smiling and talking politely to them..
I have been involved in breaking up a mass brawl, and taken a good few smacks along the line..
As fro wanting to beat somebody up hard, simple answer to that is no..Yes I might get frustrated and think to myself i'd love to give the little gobshite spotted youth a good smack, but its never got to that..And I never will let it get to that..As soon as you cross that line its as if you have become the same as the trouble starters..
And as for the apple pie, I have already posted you a recipe in another thread lol

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I definately doesn't help when the locals know that..Where I live i'm known for been a bit of a tasty kickboxer, so generally don't work the places around there..I think the guys around there do try you a bit more when they know stuff like that..

What you say is generaly true. Up here it is a small place and most of the other martial arts teachers had been to my club to check me out and all of them left scratching their heads and looking puzzled. Word spreads quickly around here.

;)

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
What you say is generaly true. Up here it is a small place and most of the other martial arts teachers had been to my club to check me out and all of them left scratching their heads and looking puzzled. Word spreads quickly around here.

;)

I get the head scratching when people see all the medal and stuff I have won in the past, and they wonder how somebody so small can have done so well..Whn I say small, I am 6'3" but very small built (insert skinny if ya want)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Finding out more and more about members here day by day eh? ;)

Ooh, you're all dark horses are you not?

I think everybody knows everything about me, lol, no secrets.

And we all know psd99 is a fruitcake don't we? :lol:

Way way back in '75, I attended Karate classes every Tuesday and Thursday evening, 7pm to 10pm, for about 4 or 5 months. The first two months was nothing but excercises, and fairly brutal exercises I must say.

After that I was allowed to practice one punch, lol, and I don't think I ever progressed beyond that one punch, against a pole covered in hessian rope sometimes, as I remember. Pressups on knuckles until I bled and started to develop callouses as well.

I left, which I regret now, to go and DJ 3 evenings a week at the China Hall pub in Rotherhithe, which is still there, quite near Gallions Reach shopping centre. So, from fitness to pints of bitter and a smoke filled pub :blush:

I will say this though, I think that period of my life was maybe the fittest I've ever been, muscles showed up where I didn't realise I had muscles and a stomach flat as a rock and hard as hell.

And oddly enough, those two evenings drained away any agression I may have harboured within me.

And that, chaps, is my total experience of martial arts.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Well I'm a sailmaker during the day, but I have 4 other jobs, which I do over evenings and weekends.
I run my rugby club bar, I run outside bars, for weddings, functions, gigs, ect, for a friend, I'm a Door Supervisor and run security for other events, and I'm a paid Rugby coach.

So I keep quite busy!

And as for the Door work.....I've been involved in half a dozen fights in the last 6 years of door work....I'm six foot tall, and about 21 Stone, but find my attitude to people is the biggest advantage have in this line of work.
It's all about knowing how to interact with people, that diffuses most situations.
But, being able to handle yourself can be quite important!

Reaction score
psd99 said:
Interesting gentlemen!! :) Northerners are still hard though!

True, I know a few guys from Newcastle that make the Kray Twins look like saints, but I also know a few guys from up there that think just because they are from up north they are hard, and trust me they not, my 13 year old daughter would have them for breakfast.

Reaction score
BigJay said:
but find my attitude to people is the biggest advantage have in this line of work.
It's all about knowing how to interact with people, that diffuses most situations.
But, being able to handle yourself can be quite important!

To true, Attitude is the key factor..Even the way a person stands in a situation can worsen or better the situation..
Mmmm what have I started with this bouncing thing...Hey look there goes a squirrel...:lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Never won any medals or cups etc as I never entered any competitions, the Chee didn't like us competing for sport. Did play quite seriously for 16 years though.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Never won any medals or cups etc as I never entered any competitions, the Chee didn't like us competing for sport. Did play quite seriously for 16 years though.

nod.gif
I started when I ws about 12, My dad thought it would be good for me, sort of a confidence booster..My brothers were all good at things like rugby, cricket, tennis the like and I was just crap..Couldn't catch a cold in winter let alone a tennis ball..2 years into it they seen a skinny kid that had majot potential..Its only cause of the Glaucoma in my eyes and loosing one that I had to stop fighting..Otherwise I think it is somethingthat might have gone proffesional...

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I do..I do my normal job during the day..Then do door supervisor work at various clubs/pubs 3 evenings a week..And at the weekend I work as a chef in one of Londons top hotels...Busy Busy Busy
Sorry, but most door supervisors/bouncers are just licenced thugs!
A good example 8 friends & I were coming past a club when one of my friends tripped and glanced a bouncer on the shoulder all hell broke loose with 2 of them trying to punch the crap out of Davey. All got nasty until Rich trying to restore order got punched, he had one of them on the floor quick as a flash in a head lock. This resulted in total carnage & having to produce a few warrant cards to prove to Mr Thug & Co that two of the guys were the police!

Local Police called & 2 bouncers off to the station to be charged with affray, but got let off before court.
So sorry but i really do think most bouncers are just thugs suited up!!

Reaction score
murdoch said:
So sorry but i really do think most bouncers are just thugs suited up!!

woooohooooo i'm a suited up thug...There are unfortunately a few that let the rest down..Did they not think to produce their warrent cards when your mate tripped..? Probably would have resulted in less agravation..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
woooohooooo i'm a suited up thug...There are unfortunately a few that let the rest down..Did they not think to produce their warrent cards when your mate tripped..? Probably would have resulted in less agravation..
My friends did not get the chance to produce their cards.
As they went to the aid of a friend about to get a good kicking!!!
Sadly you profession still has a grey cloud over it as too how it is policed.
I can except that not all of you are thugs, but their are still many who are & until it is soughted out, all will get tarnished with the same brush!

I'm not after an argument over this but ask most people what they think of bouncers & you will get a similar answer to what i posted!

Ask a Question