Searching from Address Bar - Not Working

Rob

I get the Page Cannot Be Displayer error when attempting
to search the internet from my Address Bar. This started
a couple of weeks ago. Ad-Aware didn't detect anything
malicious.

If I try typing Google into the search bar, it should
take me to google.com or return an MSN Search result of
sites pertaining to Google. Instead I get Page cannot be
displayed and the address bar has this in it: http:///?%
20google

It appears it added /?%20 into the line, without trying
the usualy www.* search.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

email: (e-mail address removed)
Thanks
Rob

VR Peters

I have already done everything on that page but still cannot search from the
address bar any ideas?
Don Varnau said:
Rob,
See: Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Try running Spybot S&D and CWShredder. The removal programs find and remove
different malware.

Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

Rob said:
I get the Page Cannot Be Displayer error when attempting
to search the internet from my Address Bar. This started
a couple of weeks ago. Ad-Aware didn't detect anything
malicious.

If I try typing Google into the search bar, it should
take me to google.com or return an MSN Search result of
sites pertaining to Google. Instead I get Page cannot be
displayed and the address bar has this in it: http:///?%
20google

It appears it added /?%20 into the line, without trying
the usualy www.* search.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

email: robmtx[at]hotmail.com
Thanks
Rob

Altrus

Hi,

You may wish to check that you have enabled searching from the address bar.

To do this:

Click on Tools, then Internet Options. Click on Advanced. Scroll down until you
observe the header, "Search from the Address bar". Under the sub-header, "When
searching", click on the "Just display search results in main window" radio
button.

If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to post,

Altrus

| I have already done everything on that page but still cannot search from the
| address bar any ideas?
| "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
| | > Rob,
| > See: Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
| > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
| >
| > Try running Spybot S&D and CWShredder. The removal programs find and
| remove
| > different malware.
| >
| > Don
| > --
| > Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
| > don_04[at]varnau[dot]org
| > - - - - - -

| > > to search the internet from my Address Bar. This started
| > > a couple of weeks ago. Ad-Aware didn't detect anything
| > > malicious.
| > >
| > > If I try typing Google into the search bar, it should
| > > take me to google.com or return an MSN Search result of
| > > sites pertaining to Google. Instead I get Page cannot be
| > > displayed and the address bar has this in it: http:///?%
| > > 20google
| > >
| > > It appears it added /?%20 into the line, without trying
| > > the usualy www.* search.
| > >
| > > Does anyone know how to fix this?
| > >
| > > email: robmtx[at]hotmail.com
| > > Thanks
| > > Rob

Altrus

Hi,

In regards to the addition of "http:///? " when searching, you may want
to try the following patch:

This patch will reset all policies and settings, which should result in normal
operation.

http://www.psyclops.com/tools/files/spyware_registry_repair.zip

Please note that I have not checked the above link for viruses. It was taken
from the following post:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:Fv-Eh-J4mtYJ:www.pcvelocity.com/viewtopic.p
hp%3Fp%3D1740+%22http:///%3F%2520%22&hl=en&start=4&ie=UTF-8

(Cached in google)