SEAGATE forced PIO instead of UDMA mode

Matrix

Hi folks, i hope there is someone out there who is able to help me :/

I have bought the Seagate 320gig harddrive and I installed it as the
primary master device.
I changed the jumpers from 'CABLE SELECT' to 'MASTER'.
So my PC configuration reads as follows:
PRIMARY:
-ST3320620A (master)(PIO MODE)
-Maxtor 6Y060P0 (slave) (UDMA 6) (200 gig)

SECONDARY:
-Maxtor 6Y060L0 (master) (UDMA 6) (60 gig)
-LG GSA-4163B (slave) (UDMA 2)

My mainboard is the AsRock K7VT4A+ and I am using a 80-ide-cable.
I tried switching the ST3320620A around (secondary/slave/master) but still
the same results under Windows.
My bios recognizes it as UDMA 5 capable and with 320gb capacity but
Windows does not.

I have Windows Media Center Edition (which includes sp2) installed and the
option
'DMA IF AVAILABLE' is selected under device manager.

I have set the ST3320620A alone on primary master just for a test but
still PIO mode.

My other configuration is:
Connect 3D! Ati x850Pro
Creative Audigy 2 Value

I have tried the windows drivers for the IDE devices as well as the VIA
Hyperion drivers but to no avail.
I tried uninstalling the windows drivers and reinstalling them but nothing
changed.

I ran the seagate diagnosis utility and it showed no problems during the
short & long harddrive test.
The ST3320620A peaks at a reading speed of 3.127 KB/s.
I have the newest bios updates installed.

I tried installing the new hyperion but nothing changed, deinstalling the
IDE busmaster drivers too, I installed windows fresh on the new seagate but
still its PIO mode. Switching between slave, master/primary, secondary
doesnt change the fact that it is still PIO and everything else runs fine on
UDMA.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease can anyone help me ...

Thanks for your patience and time.
Regards

Rod Speed

Matrix said:
Hi folks, i hope there is someone out there who is able to help me :/

Tad radical.
I have bought the Seagate 320gig harddrive and I installed it as the primary master device.
I changed the jumpers from 'CABLE SELECT' to 'MASTER'.
So my PC configuration reads as follows:
PRIMARY:
-ST3320620A (master)(PIO MODE)
-Maxtor 6Y060P0 (slave) (UDMA 6) (200 gig)
SECONDARY:
-Maxtor 6Y060L0 (master) (UDMA 6) (60 gig)
-LG GSA-4163B (slave) (UDMA 2)
My mainboard is the AsRock K7VT4A+ and I am using a 80-ide-cable.
I tried switching the ST3320620A around (secondary/slave/master) but
still the same results under Windows.

Because once a XP has decided that its seeing too
many errors and has turned DMA off, it will stay that
way until you fix the reason its decided to turn DMA off.
My bios recognizes it as UDMA 5 capable and with 320gb capacity but Windows does not.
I have Windows Media Center Edition (which includes sp2) installed
and the option 'DMA IF AVAILABLE' is selected under device manager.
I have set the ST3320620A alone on primary master just for a test but still PIO mode.

See above.
My other configuration is:
Connect 3D! Ati x850Pro
Creative Audigy 2 Value
I have tried the windows drivers for the IDE devices as well as the VIA Hyperion drivers but to no
avail.
I tried uninstalling the windows drivers and reinstalling them but nothing changed.

Them its likey you have the ribbon cable on backwards. You
need to have the blue connector connected to the motherboard.

If its already that way around, try a new ribbon cable.
I ran the seagate diagnosis utility and it showed no problems during the short & long harddrive
test.
The ST3320620A peaks at a reading speed of 3.127 KB/s.
I have the newest bios updates installed.
I tried installing the new hyperion but nothing changed, deinstalling
the IDE busmaster drivers too, I installed windows fresh on the new
seagate but still its PIO mode. Switching between slave,
master/primary, secondary doesnt change the fact that it is still PIO
and everything else runs fine on UDMA.

Matrix

Rod Speed said:
Tad radical.

Because once a XP has decided that its seeing too
many errors and has turned DMA off, it will stay that
way until you fix the reason its decided to turn DMA off.

See above.

Them its likey you have the ribbon cable on backwards. You
need to have the blue connector connected to the motherboard.

If its already that way around, try a new ribbon cable.

Because once a XP has decided that its seeing too
many errors and has turned DMA off, it will stay that
way until you fix the reason its decided to turn DMA off.

See above.

Them its likey you have the ribbon cable on backwards. You
need to have the blue connector connected to the motherboard.

If its already that way around, try a new ribbon cable.

I tried two different 80-ide cables and it is still PIO mode.
The cable MUST be the right way around because it wouldnt detect any other
harddrive in UDMA then, and the blue end is on the mainboard.
I am totally frustrated, because I paid for this sucker and it aint working
the way it should :(

Arno Wagner

Previously Matrix said:
I tried two different 80-ide cables and it is still PIO mode. The
cable MUST be the right way around because it wouldnt detect any
other harddrive in UDMA then, and the blue end is on the mainboard.
I am totally frustrated, because I paid for this sucker and it aint
working the way it should :(

Might be a shot bus driver on either the mainboard side (more likely)
or the disk side (less likely). Might also be a cable longer than
the allowed 45cm. Less likely source: A PSU that has ''dirty''
output voltages or inadequate power.

And please be aware that you did not pay enough to get tryely
reliable technology. PC hardware is cheap, but not that great.

Arno

Allan

Arno Wagner said:
Might be a shot bus driver on either the mainboard side (more likely)
or the disk side (less likely). Might also be a cable longer than
the allowed 45cm. Less likely source: A PSU that has ''dirty''
output voltages or inadequate power.

And please be aware that you did not pay enough to get tryely
reliable technology. PC hardware is cheap, but not that great.

Arno

I finally got solved my problem. I took the seagate harddrive back to my
retailer and got a new wester digital 320 gig harddrive.
The new one doesnt have 16mb cache but it works just fine in UDMA 5.
So thanks for your help I hope this will never happen again lol

Rod Speed