Schedule reboot of XP

Colonel Blip

Hello, All!

I would like my computer to reboot in the early morning hours after all of
my other scheduled apps/services have run. I've tried a number of free
programs to try to do this. Several seem to work fine EXCEPT when my system
goes into screen saver and presents the Welcome Screen (logon screen) on
resume. Does anyone know how to schedule a reboot under these circumstances?

BTW, I suppose it is understood, my user account is still logged in and
running, though to get access I have to reenter my password on the welcome
screen.

Thanks,
Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Dave Patrick

Use Task Scheduler to schedule the command;

shutdown.exe -r -f

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello, All!
|
| I would like my computer to reboot in the early morning hours after all of
| my other scheduled apps/services have run. I've tried a number of free
| programs to try to do this. Several seem to work fine EXCEPT when my
system
| goes into screen saver and presents the Welcome Screen (logon screen) on
| resume. Does anyone know how to schedule a reboot under these
circumstances?

| BTW, I suppose it is understood, my user account is still logged in and
| running, though to get access I have to reenter my password on the welcome
| screen.
|
| Thanks,
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

Hello, Wesley!
You wrote on Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:40:46 -0600:

Got it.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

WV> Try this.

WV> Using Task Scheduler to schedule the computer to shut down and restart
WV> at a specific time
WV> http://www.winxptutor.com/schsd.htm

Colonel Blip

Hello, Dave!

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

DP> Use Task Scheduler to schedule the command;

DP> shutdown.exe -r -f

Dave Patrick

You're welcome.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello, Dave!
|
| Thanks,
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

Wesley, Dave,

Looks like I was premature on this working. Set it up and it works fine as
long as my system has not activated the screen saver. Once it does, the task
either does not run or runs in the background and is unsuccessful.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

CB> Hello, Wesley!
CB> You wrote on Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:40:46 -0600:

CB> Got it.

CB> Thanks,

CB> Colonel Blip.
CB> E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Dave Patrick

Scheduled Tasks require an account with a non-blank password also Scheduled
Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:

| Wesley, Dave,
|
| Looks like I was premature on this working. Set it up and it works fine as
| long as my system has not activated the screen saver. Once it does, the
task
| either does not run or runs in the background and is unsuccessful.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)
|
| CB> Hello, Wesley!
| CB> You wrote on Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:40:46 -0600:
|
| CB> Got it.
|
| CB> Thanks,
|
| CB> Colonel Blip.
| CB> E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:22:16 -0600:

According to the log I find this:

"Reboot.job" (shutdown.exe)
Finished 8/7/2006 4:40:00 AM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).

My job was scheduled to run at 4:40 am this morning but it definitely didn't
reboot the computer. Code that was to run is:
E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00

I'm baffled.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

DP> Scheduled Tasks require an account with a non-blank password also
DP> Scheduled
Tasks|> Advanced|View Log may provide some details.

Dave Patrick

What happens if you run from the command line?

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello, Dave!
| You wrote on Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:22:16 -0600:
|
| According to the log I find this:
|
| "Reboot.job" (shutdown.exe)
| Finished 8/7/2006 4:40:00 AM
| Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).
|
| My job was scheduled to run at 4:40 am this morning but it definitely
didn't
| reboot the computer. Code that was to run is:
| E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00
|
| I'm baffled.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)|

Colonel Blip

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Mon, 7 Aug 2006 11:07:58 -0600:

Works like a charm. Also, if I let it run within the task scheduler, either
manual or at time when my screen saver/welcome screen has not kicked it, it
runs fine as well.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

DP> What happens if you run from the command line?

Dave Patrick

The screensaver should have nothing to do with this. Possible issues may be
hibernate or standby.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Works like a charm. Also, if I let it run within the task scheduler,
either
| manual or at time when my screen saver/welcome screen has not kicked it,
it
| runs fine as well.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:08:03 -0600:

The hibernate could be it. Checking that tab under my Power settings I find
it is checked. I'll see if that solves the problem.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

DP> The screensaver should have nothing to do with this. Possible issues
DP> may be hibernate or standby.

Dave Patrick

OK, you're welcome.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello, Dave!
| You wrote on Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:08:03 -0600:
|
| The hibernate could be it. Checking that tab under my Power settings I
find
| it is checked. I'll see if that solves the problem.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Sun, 6 Aug 2006 19:11:52 -0600:

I'm back again. Turns out if I directly activate the welcome screen and then
let the schedule reboot happen all goes well. If I let the screen saver kick
in all does not go well. The scheduled reboot does not happen. Makes no
sense to me. BTW, Hibernation is off.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

DP> You're welcome.

Dave Patrick

Make sure other power options are off such as standby.

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello, Dave!
| You wrote on Sun, 6 Aug 2006 19:11:52 -0600:
|
| I'm back again. Turns out if I directly activate the welcome screen and
then
| let the schedule reboot happen all goes well. If I let the screen saver
kick
| in all does not go well. The scheduled reboot does not happen. Makes no
| sense to me. BTW, Hibernation is off.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:00:49 -0600:

They are and have been for several days now. Definitely not working with
screen saver. I had the avast screen saver activated previously and thought
that might be the problem so I changed to the Blank ss but still doesn't
work.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

DP> Make sure other power options are off such as standby.

Dave Patrick

What happens if you issue the shutdown command remotely?

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| They are and have been for several days now. Definitely not working with
| screen saver. I had the avast screen saver activated previously and
thought
| that might be the problem so I changed to the Blank ss but still doesn't
| work.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Colonel Blip.
| E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Colonel Blip

Hello, Dave!
You wrote on Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:43:11 -0600:

I am not setup to issue commands to my system from another system (assume
that is what you mean).

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

DP> What happens if you issue the shutdown command remotely?

Dave Patrick

I had a box once that always killed the last app to have focus after
returning from the screensaver. You may need to reinstall your operating
system if you can't live with this.