Scanpst.exe stops responding during repair process

Steve R

OL 2007 on Vista:
I received message to use "Inbox Repair Tool."
Ran scanpst.exe, which proceed though its 8 Phases, followed by "Repair"
sequence.
After a rather long time, the Repair window hazed over in white and words in
parentheses noted "Not Responding".
I've run the scanpst.exe 3 times with the same results.
Any suggestions?

Roady [MVP]

Depending on the size of your pst-file and the amount of corruptions in it,
the 8th phase can take quite a while and the program may seem unresponsive.
How big is your pst-file?
How long did you let scanpst.exe run?

DL

You did this whilst Outlook was closed?
You checked task manager for any instances of outlook.exe and ended them?
Was the msg to use 'inbox repair tool' out of the blue, or have you had
other PC problems?

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

How big is the .pst file?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Steve R asked:

| OL 2007 on Vista:
| I received message to use "Inbox Repair Tool."
| Ran scanpst.exe, which proceed though its 8 Phases, followed by
| "Repair" sequence.
| After a rather long time, the Repair window hazed over in white and
| words in parentheses noted "Not Responding".
| I've run the scanpst.exe 3 times with the same results.
| Any suggestions?

Steve R

In reverse response:
1. Size of .pst file = 3,914,999
2. Outlook and all instances of it were fully "closed."
3. No other PC problems whatsoever; problem arose clearly out of the blue.
PC and OUTLOOK (& other MS Office 2007 programs have been operating
flawlessly (unlike under former PC with XP) ).

Initially, when starting up OL2007, small box announced that the data file
'Personal Folders" was not closed properly. About 40 seconds thereafter, the
'Inbox Repair' window popped up, after OL completely closed.

Harddrive is 142 GB with only 10 GB free.
a. Would freeing up space give scanpst.exe more "room" to work?
b. Is .pst too large to be handled by scanpst?
If so, can I break it up with something like "hjsplit.exe"?

DL

Your HD has insufficient free space for the correct operation of the o/s,
you need a minimum of 15% free space for win to function without problems
Thats not to say that scanpst would run correctly if you had sufficient free
space

You can reduce the size of the pst by the use of the Archive options - you
dont lose access to what is archived

Steve R said:
In reverse response:
1. Size of .pst file = 3,914,999
2. Outlook and all instances of it were fully "closed."
3. No other PC problems whatsoever; problem arose clearly out of the blue.
PC and OUTLOOK (& other MS Office 2007 programs have been operating
flawlessly (unlike under former PC with XP) ).

Initially, when starting up OL2007, small box announced that the data file
'Personal Folders" was not closed properly. About 40 seconds thereafter,
the
'Inbox Repair' window popped up, after OL completely closed.

Harddrive is 142 GB with only 10 GB free.
a. Would freeing up space give scanpst.exe more "room" to work?
b. Is .pst too large to be handled by scanpst?
If so, can I break it up with something like "hjsplit.exe"?

Steve R

Milly Staples said:
How big is the .pst file?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Steve R asked:

| OL 2007 on Vista:
| I received message to use "Inbox Repair Tool."
| Ran scanpst.exe, which proceed though its 8 Phases, followed by
| "Repair" sequence.
| After a rather long time, the Repair window hazed over in white and
| words in parentheses noted "Not Responding".
| I've run the scanpst.exe 3 times with the same results.
| Any suggestions?

Steve R

SUCCESS!!!!!!!! :>)
DL and Milly:
Thank you to both of you for your prompt responses.
DL's observation that my "...HD has insufficient free space for the
correction operation of the o/s..." was RIGHT ON THE MONEY.
After transferring sufficient data from my HD to "storage" - I opened up 34
GB of 142 Total (this took close to 4 hours!).
Then I ran scanpst.exe, which took another hour.
It repaired the Outlook.pst.
I thank "backed up" the 3.9 GB Outlook.pst.
Finally, I opened Outlook and archived what I though was at 2/3's of my 3.9
GB.
******QUESTION:
******Why do 3.0 GB still "show" in my Outlook.pst - AFTER the archiving?
Those emails and attachments are no longer in my OUTLOOK INBOX/SEND BOX.
******Is there a "compaction" program that must be run?
Thank you again. I look forward to you answers on the aftermath questions.
--
Steve R

Steve R said:
In reverse response:
1. Size of .pst file = 3,914,999
2. Outlook and all instances of it were fully "closed."
3. No other PC problems whatsoever; problem arose clearly out of the blue.
PC and OUTLOOK (& other MS Office 2007 programs have been operating
flawlessly (unlike under former PC with XP) ).

Initially, when starting up OL2007, small box announced that the data file
'Personal Folders" was not closed properly. About 40 seconds thereafter,
the
'Inbox Repair' window popped up, after OL completely closed.

Harddrive is 142 GB with only 10 GB free.
a. Would freeing up space give scanpst.exe more "room" to work?
b. Is .pst too large to be handled by scanpst?
If so, can I break it up with something like "hjsplit.exe"?

Steve R

Milly Staples said:
How big is the .pst file?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Steve R asked:

| OL 2007 on Vista:
| I received message to use "Inbox Repair Tool."
| Ran scanpst.exe, which proceed though its 8 Phases, followed by
| "Repair" sequence.
| After a rather long time, the Repair window hazed over in white and
| words in parentheses noted "Not Responding".
| I've run the scanpst.exe 3 times with the same results.
| Any suggestions?

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

You now need to compact your .pst file. Right click on the root of the
mailbox (usually outlook today) and select properties, then advanced. Use
the "compact now" option - usually 3 times is the charm.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Steve R asked:

| SUCCESS!!!!!!!! :>)
| DL and Milly:
| Thank you to both of you for your prompt responses.
| DL's observation that my "...HD has insufficient free space for the
| correction operation of the o/s..." was RIGHT ON THE MONEY.
| After transferring sufficient data from my HD to "storage" - I opened
| up 34 GB of 142 Total (this took close to 4 hours!).
| Then I ran scanpst.exe, which took another hour.
| It repaired the Outlook.pst.
| I thank "backed up" the 3.9 GB Outlook.pst.
| Finally, I opened Outlook and archived what I though was at 2/3's of
| my 3.9 GB.
| ******QUESTION:
| ******Why do 3.0 GB still "show" in my Outlook.pst - AFTER the
| archiving? Those emails and attachments are no longer in my OUTLOOK
| INBOX/SEND BOX. ******Is there a "compaction" program that must be
| run?
| Thank you again. I look forward to you answers on the aftermath
| questions.
|
|| Your HD has insufficient free space for the correct operation of the
|| o/s, you need a minimum of 15% free space for win to function
|| without problems Thats not to say that scanpst would run correctly
|| if you had sufficient free space
|| You can reduce the size of the pst by the use of the Archive options
|| - you dont lose access to what is archived
||| 1. Size of .pst file = 3,914,999
||| 2. Outlook and all instances of it were fully "closed."
||| 3. No other PC problems whatsoever; problem arose clearly out of
||| the blue. PC and OUTLOOK (& other MS Office 2007 programs have been
||| operating flawlessly (unlike under former PC with XP) ).
||| Initially, when starting up OL2007, small box announced that the
||| data file 'Personal Folders" was not closed properly. About 40
||| seconds thereafter, the
||| 'Inbox Repair' window popped up, after OL completely closed.
||| Harddrive is 142 GB with only 10 GB free.
||| a. Would freeing up space give scanpst.exe more "room" to work?
||| b. Is .pst too large to be handled by scanpst?
||| If so, can I break it up with something like "hjsplit.exe"?
||| Thank you in advance for your assistance.
||| --
||| Steve R

Steve R

I AM RESPONDING TO BOTH MILLY AND ROADY:
1. MILLY: Compacting: "3 times is the charm"
......Well, maybe, maybe not. It sure takes a long time to compact. I've
done it twice now and it went from 3.9 GB to 3.2 GB.
BOTH TIMES Outlook hung up and the "Not Responding" message occurred. Ugh!
But the GB's did go down.
Is there some better, faster trick to this? :)

2. ROADY: Thanks for your response. My .pst was 3.9 GB. What did the
trick was making about 20% open space available on my HD (from less than
15%). Scanpst.exe took about 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours.

SEEMS like there could be an easier & faster way to ARCHIVE, REPAIR and/or
COMPACT.

********Does Apple have these same issues? :>)

--
Steve R

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
Use the "compact now" option - usually 3 times is the charm.
******************
AND
******************

Roady [MVP]

You're welcome! :)
********Does Apple have these same issues? :>)
Yes, as it is not an operating specific issue;
-databases contain white space to operate correctly
-big databases take a long while to check
-hard disk performance decreases when less than 15% free space is available
-other processes can fail when there isn't sufficient free space available

All of the above apply to your case ;-)

Outlook has a background process running which removes the white space from
a database when the computer is idle and the database consists of more than
5% white space. With insufficient free space, this automated background
process can perform optimally or at all and you'll have to do the
maintenance manually.

Roady said:
Depending on the size of your pst-file and the amount of corruptions in
it,
the 8th phase can take quite a while and the program may seem
unresponsive.
How big is your pst-file?
How long did you let scanpst.exe run?

Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I also have problem about my outlook and I use scanpst.exe application to repair my PST file and it really works. You should also have a back-up file too in case of emergency.